Paint supplier for Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint supplier for Jackson

Does anyone know who the supplier for the paint that Jackson uses is? I would like to paint some guitar bodies in the same high quality paint that they use.

Re: Paint supplier for Jackson

house of kolor, afaik.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, Sully. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I went to their website, that stuff looks great and there is a local distributer about 5 miles from here. I'll stop in today on my way to the shop.

Comment

to use these color correctly (they are in cans) Do I need a spray or I can take a paint brush

Comment

You spray it with a spray gun.

Comment

Are these paints compatible with nitrocellulose lacquer or does Jackson use another kind of lacquer (acrylic?) to clear coat? Cause usually "stringed instrument lacquers" are nitro lacquers, so make sure you coat with something compatible. From what I know automotive paints haven't been used on guitars for quite some time know.

I'd use base concentrates (liquid pigments) in nitro lacquer if I were you. Even if Jackson uses car paints, they must have a sophisticated process that you cannot replicate. You can use products like Mohawk's Base Concentrates, Huls 844 and Behlen's Master Colors.

Comment

I thought automotive paint (2-component) was still used by many guitar companies?

I would really like to know how a professional made guitar gets a solid color paint job nowadays. Is it raw wood, then binder, sanding, primer, sanding, color, sanding, clear coat? Any links where i can learn?
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I thought automotive paint (2-component) was still used by many guitar companies?

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be. But what applies to guitar companies certainly does not apply to individuals who want to coat a few guitars every now and then. I've read this, and these guys seem to know a lot about how guitar companies have finished guitar over the decades. It seems that at least Leo Fender optimized the finishing steps for fast production, not optimal tone. Car paint are made to withstand harsh climatic conditions, not to sound good. If you're serious about finishing a guitar, I'd suggest you read a book about it before buying expensive equipment/paints.

Comment

Hey sully thanks for the house of kolor info, I just had the pleasure of having to do a repair on a Warrior pro after the shipping monkeys had fun with it. I would like to note that the guitar was shipped in an over size bow with plenty of material & the guitar in the case with bubble wrap protecting it. Still managed to have the Head stock tip removed by way of the classic pile driver dropping technique of the delivery guy right when he brought it to my door today. I'll have enough White Pearl paint to fix the head stock & paint my RR7 with. This place rocks as always. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  According To The Prophecy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    house of kolor, afaik.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're shooting Eerie Dess. That's made by Metalflake.

Comment

BTW, I stopped and looked at the samples of the house of kolor paints at Taylor paints in Fort Worth. Awesome stuff. I'm hearing a single hum Charvel body in flip flop blue/ violet paint... The dry pearls are to die for, too.

Comment

"Cause usually "stringed instrument lacquers" are nitro lacquers".

Many companies (such as Fender) have a history of using acrylic color coats with nitrocellulose clear coats in certain cases. Musical instrument grade nitrocellulose sucks as far as feel goes. It is a modern formula finish that never completely dries so it will not check as fast as typical furniture grade nitrocellulose. Also, Leo regularly used non-nitro sealers on his guitars as soon as he switched to alder woods in 1956. They used a homoclad sealer for many years, then switched to Fullerplast which is a catalyzed finish alot like poly. People today lust for 100% nitrocellulose finish even though many guitars they think are all nitro are far from it.

You may be able to use these poly finishes with nitrocellulose. Experiment. Mark Kendrick has told me that Fender used nitro color coats under the 70's Fender thickskin poly finishes, so it obviously is possbile.

You can learn more about home finishing from www.reranch.com.

Comment

Check out reranch.com for painting supplies.
                          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

You may be able to use these poly finishes with nitrocellulose. Experiment. Mark Kendrick has told me that Fender used nitro color coats under the 70's Fender thickskin poly finishes, so it obviously is possbile.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably is possible. It just might be very expensive to experiment this kind of stuff for just one/a few guitar(s). I understand that polyurethane paints are quite expensive on top of being deadly if inhaled, so if you're not used to them, be very careful.

Guitar companies make a compromise between look and application/drying time. They don't use a finish if it takes three weeks to cure, even if it sounds and looks gorgeous.

I'm not an expert finisher, so don't take my word for it, I've just tried to find out for myself.

Here is a tutorial from the Guitar Project Forum on different finishes, if anybody's interested.

Comment

I have been finishing a long time. All paints are deadly to inhale, lacquer or poly. One just takes longer to show its affects.

These days curing time is not an issue with big factories. Fender has UV lights that cure a nitrocellulose finish completely in 8-12 hours. Finishes are chosen for the appeal of the model. Some are for sheer looks and others for durability.

Comment

Working...
                              X