OT: Help on trading a guitar via i-net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Help on trading a guitar via i-net

I've found someone who is looking for a guitar like I have and the deal he is offering is one of those "too good to be true" situations. He is a member of another board with what appears to be a good reputation. After searching his previous posts and seeing several classified ads he had posted w/ zero complaints I'm perplexed. I would really like to make this deal work but I just don't want to ship my guitar out to someone that I've never met on his word that he'll send me a guitar back in return. What would you guys advise? He lives about 7 hours from me and I'm thinking of asking if he will meet me in person 1/2 way.

TIA

Re: OT: Help on trading a guitar via i-net

TIA,
    IMHO, if you are both stoked on the deal, what's driving 3.5 hours to make it happen. I spent 6 hrs. driving to get my hands on a '88 Firebird. I guess it is just a fact of how bad you both want to flip the fiddles.

Good Luck,

Adrian
    All hail the 'King'
    R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Well, if he's not that far away, you'll know where he lives....

I haven't done any trades, but I've sent off money to a number of people, and have bought guitars from a number of people...

Sometimes you just gotta trust. If you don't feel comfortable trading then don't do it.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

That would sound fair to me.. but you have to take into consideration that people have lives too.. It could be tough to basically take the 7 hours (total drive time, not counting the "chit chat"..) out of a day that it's gonna take to pull this off... It wouldn't bother me to do something like this, but I pretty much have no life.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If he wants it bad enough, he'll agree to it.. But be careful.. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.. Go with your gut, I guess.. Just be sure to get tracking #'s going both ways, and look on the bright side.. if you don't get a guitar in return, at least he's only 7 hours away and you'll have a home address.. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Be sure to get home phone #'s, cell #'s, etc... Mapquest and Switchboard.com are wonderful location tools, if the need arises..

Good luck..

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm **willing** to do the entire drive myself for the guitar but it would be nice to be met 1/2 way. Obviously the easiest way would be to ship the guitars but I'm so very reluctant to do that.

Also, I can't trust my gut feeling anymore......putting faith in my gut is what got me fat!! Doh! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Where does this other guy live? Do you know any JCF bros that live near him that you could send your guitar to and have them make the swap? I've dealt with a few guys here that I would trust with one of mine in a swap transaction (assuming they would even want to get involved or have the time to do it). Just a thought.

I'm in Cleveland if it helps ya!

Comment

I'd post at least his username & the forum somewhere here and ask if anyone has done business with the guy. Lots of people here frequent other forums as well so you might run across a couple who can vouch for him. Granted that doesn't eliminate the possibility of fraud but it would make me feel better about it.

Another possibility is to cross-ship both guitars with equal CODs on each. If you're using UPS, the cost is only like $5 and you can specify that you'll accept cash or cash equivalents only as payment (or at least you could last time I did it). I've done that successfully a few times in the past when deals felt a bit sketchy going in.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I just talked to the guy for about 45mins on the phone and he offered references from other forums where he had sold guitars. Basically I decided to meet him and pickup the guitar in person. I'm on Spring Break next week and even though I'll be driving about 10 hours total I still feel as if this is the safest route for both parties. However, if I for some reason cannot arrange this I still **may** go w/ shipping.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and offers of help.

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
                  Another possibility is to cross-ship both guitars with equal CODs on each. If you're using UPS, the cost is only like $5 and you can specify that you'll accept cash or cash equivalents only as payment (or at least you could last time I did it). I've done that successfully a few times in the past when deals felt a bit sketchy going in.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">YAOne, When you ship COD does the receiver have the ability to inspect the package before paying? If they can it sounds like a relatively safe alternative. I would like to know more about COD. Thanks.

-Mike

Comment

I tried to find some info on the UPS website - it doesn't even have a search function! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I only found this

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...ternetShipping

Maybe call 'em...

800-742-5877
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by iced_earth:
                      YAOne, When you ship COD does the receiver have the ability to inspect the package before paying? If they can it sounds like a relatively safe alternative. I would like to know more about COD.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mike - The receiving party can always refuse to take delivery if there's obvious damage to the package (e.g., a forklift tine-shaped hole passing completely through the box containing your new guitar) but they can't open the package and inspect the contents before accepting the shipment. This was pretty much the defacto way of trading things via the 'net in the old days before there were such things as PayPal, BidPay, etc. If you're sure that you're the shipper, just be certain to check the "Money Order / Cashier's Check only" box ... if you don't they'll happily take a personal check.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Thanks to both RacerX and YetAnotherOne! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

-Mike

Comment

Working...
                        X