X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Charvel worth buying?

Hi all,

I believe this is my first post here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, a few days ago I saw in a local used guitar store a metallic/hot pink Charvel for a very affordable price (I know we can't post online prices, how about local guitar shop prices?)

It's neck through, 24 frets, EMG pickups of unknown model (may be stock, may have been replaced), Schaller licensed Floyd, body in very good condition, no major dings/scratches etc.

Fretboard wood is rosewood with open grain. Playability wasn't as good as I expected of an old Charvel, but that could have been just the really old and really thin strings.

The Charvel logo is in somewhat "wavy" script, with the typical "Jackson" headstock. There are allen wrench holders attached to the back of the headstock. I believe the serial # starts with a "C"

I may go back to the store to play it some more and write down the full serial # if that will help ID the guitar. But right now, any light you can shed on this guitar would be greatly appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Is this Charvel worth buying?

what's the pickup configuration? That will tell us more than the serial number. The "C" serial is right for a a neckthru import, the second digit will indicate the year, probably 89 or 90.

It could be one of a few neckthru toothpaste logoed Charvels. A bit more info will help us determine the model.

btw, posting secondhand prices is fine. It's just posting a price that a dealer has provided you for a new guitar that will get you in trouble. Dealers can sell new guitars for whatever they want, but Jackson's new M.A.P policy means they can't advertise for less than the Minimum Advertised Price. Doing so could cost them their dealership.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Pickup config: S-S-H (I could be wrong, but I think that's it.)

Is one year better than others? How is the general quality of these neckthrough imports?

The store is selling it for $399 CDN, which is roughly $290 USD.

I will go back to the store and get more details. Hopefully another sales staff is there, 'cause the one I talked to that day knows nothing about it.

Comment

Sounds like a 650. Look anything like this?

The crappy playability is probably down to the state of the strings, or hardware that needs adjusting. I've picked up some secondhand guitars that have felt like absolute dogs at the store. But if it's structurally sound, no major flaws or damage, a bit of elbow grease and a complete breakdown and setup later and I've got myself a smokin' new axe!
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Yeah, that looks like it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Same style logo script, at least [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Know anything about their general reputation? I know we are not talking about USA Soloists here, so I am not expecting too much out of a $300 guitar, but I would still like to know if this model has been particularly popular/avoided.

Thanks for all your replies so far [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll beg to differ. You're talking about a guitar that's pretty much comparable with a USA soloist. I have a Charvel Model 5A, which is basically the same model as you describe, but with just a single humbucker, and it's a great metal machine[1]. The 80's/90's import Charvels are seriously good value for money.

- Steve

1) Just not so useable for a 43 year old who's 20lbs over his 80's 'leather pants' weight and plays in a blues band anyhow. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Model 3
            Model 5A
            Model 3B
            Journeyman
            Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

All of the neckthru import Charvels I have played were very good. Don’t have any experience with a 650 but from everything I’ve heard they are very good quality guitars. My model 5a is probably the best guitar purchase I’ve made, I don't think you will be disappointed with this guitar.

Comment

If it's in good shape, that is a good price. You may even be able to haggle it down into "steal" territory. Give it a shot! The 650XL is basically the same guitar as the early '90s Soloist Pro. The differences from a USA Soloist: rosewood instead of ebony, poplar instead of alder wings, plank-cut maple neck instead of quartersawn maple. The hardware is the same. The workmanship on the Japanese C/Js of this period was fantastic. I have a Model 6, which is the predecessor to the 650, and I love it. Good luck! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, I didn't know this model is rated as high as it is. Which just makes me feel worse now [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (see below)

I went back to the store today to play it some more, and I asked the staff whether he can give me a $50 discount and sell it for $350 CDN.

He said this guitar is on consignment so he'll have to ask the owner and get back to me. He called me two hours later to say that the seller doesn't want to sell it anymore!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Because she ( [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ) just got out of the hospital and want the guitar back so she can "calm down" ... In that case I suppose the guitar is worth much more to her than it will to me, but it's still really annoying [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Send a get well card to the gal with an offer for 400 when she's calmed down. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                      Send a get well card to the gal with an offer for 400 when she's calmed down. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then make a pass at her. [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Seriously, what's cooler than a chick that plays a Charvel? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

A chick that plays a Jackson [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
                          A chick that plays a Jackson [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bah, Charvels are better than Jacksons. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang:
                            Because she ( [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ) just got out of the hospital and want the guitar back so she can "calm down" ... In that case I suppose the guitar is worth much more to her than it will to me, but it's still really annoying [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So THAT explains the pink guitar. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Note to self: The next time I see a good guitar on consignment that is already at a really cheap price (for all you Americans, keep in mind that all figures cited are CANADIAN DOLLARS), don't call the owner to try to haggle a few dollars off... just walk out the door with the dame thing [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X