Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you guys do it?

Originally posted by deviltronix:
    My rule is simple.. If I am not 100% in love with any of my guitars, I sell them. The reasons vary from quality to finish to just not bonding with it. In the past, I have sold guitars I loved because of financial reasons, and those are the ones I really regret.

Rich
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same here...there's guitars I buy just because I said "Gee...I'd love to have one of those"...and then there are guitars I'm totally attached to like my black '91 Warrior, my '83 Rhoads, and my Deathwarrior (of course...dream guitar!) those of which will most likely go to the grave with me. Buying and selling always gets easier as time goes on...but there will always be guitars you really regretted getting rid of. There are several that I miss terribly.

Comment

"Does anyone else feel a very strong emotional attachment to a particular guitar?"

I feel attached to my Rhoads simply because I wanted one and saved up for it for over 4 years, and finally got it the summer after graduation. I tend to get attached to my stuff though...I've got a few pedals around that I don't really need, and I figure I should sell them but whenever I think about it I say "Nah, I might need it later..."

Comment

i have a attachment to my Jackson King V import, but i think i'll be getting rid of it soon if i can get my rattlesnake kelly up

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
          "Does anyone else feel a very strong emotional attachment to a particular guitar?"
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, my '85 RR Custom. I bought it new back in the day and it's been through Hell but I always come back to it sooner or later and when I do I always wonder why I even own another guitar.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">For one guitar...it would have to be my '91 Black USA Warrior. It was my first Warrior I was able to buy after lusting after them for several years.
            And the guitar always sets up the way I want it to, and sounds like no other guitar I own...even other Warriors!

Comment

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine would have to be my Les Paul Custom....It just has "it" and I really can't describe what "it" is....

It plays and sounds like no other...it is like a comfortable pair of shoes that you've had for a long time.....it just feels "right".

I've had it since 1980....so I basically grew up with it....We've been through a lot of stuff together...good and bad...but it has always been there....never really gave me any problems, outside of the usual maintenance/refrets and the now new EMG's in it....

Some guitars are just magic....you can't explain it but something about them grabs your attention [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My first good guitar was a les paul. I bought it in 11th grade. There are so many High School memories attached to that guitar, it stays with me forever. (Or untill I die and my relatives pawn it on ebay LOL)

rich

Comment

I've got a guitarist buddy who says -- almost Zen like -- "We never really own gear. We just rent it."

If you think about how much we buy and sell stuff..he's basically right.

Comment

i regret selling my SD Star graphic'd w/explorer headstock & ESP pheonix, other than that no big deal. i dont sell anything now thats hard to replace. i have a few STOCK vintages BCRichs they will go to the grave with me. a few of them will never be made again, & arent even offered as customs so NO way NO how NO selling.

Comment

hmm...yes and no...some i've regretted due to the circumstances requiring it, but mostly not...i tend to keep the ones i "bond with" as someone here put it...d.m.
                      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

thanks for all the kind responses dudes.
                        i didnt expect this much response.
                        i really DID love that guitar and i am very sad over getting it but when i saw the Goldtop i wanted i just knew it was the right thing to do.
                        my first guitar i ever bought i still have. its a strat copy of some undescript name. i will never part with that. i learned smoke on the water and friggin sunshine of your love on that thing. how can i get rid of that. and i have a Guild acoustic that i wouldnt sell for 10000. its obviously not worth that but its just part of who i am as a musician. thanks again guys, im glad im not the only one that has regrets and sorrow.
                        Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

I'm totaly in love with my '89 650XL. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                          It might not be a USA Jackson, but it just does it for me. Ever since I've gotten that guitar, I can find anything else that compares to it (thats worth saving up for anyway). I've gone through 4 other Charvels, 2 USA Carvins, and still, I go back to the 650XL. Some things will never change. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My regrets about selling a guitar have been more than my regrets for not buying one. Unless I'm totally sure that the guitar just isn't for me, I'll hang on to it.

I have a guitar that I really liked when I bought it, but it was kind of an impulse buy and it seemed like I bought it too fast. I played it and liked it for a while. Then I just started not playing it and left it in the case for months. I thought about selling or trading it. Recently, I started playing it again and now it's my #1. Go figure...

Comment

Originally posted by iron_monkey:
                              I have a guitar that I really liked when I bought it, but it was kind of an impulse buy and it seemed like I bought it too fast. I played it and liked it for a while. Then I just started not playing it and left it in the case for months. I thought about selling or trading it. Recently, I started playing it again and now it's my #1. Go figure...
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">We have a winner folks! This is *exactly* why: 1) you should never feel guilty about buying another guitar and 2) you can never really have too many guitars (you can just exceed your self-imposed limit which is always subject to renegotiations). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

This happens to me constantly. I always wind up with a few that I don't play regularly for a span of time but really dig them again when I pull them back out. Most recently it was a Hamer Vintage S that hadn't had out of the case in probably a year. I pulled it out intending to toss it into my housecleaning sale but wound up remembering how much I really enjoyed it.
                              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                              X