Mystery pawnshop RR type guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery pawnshop RR type guitar.

No one anywhere i go can tell me anything about this guitar.The guy at the pawnshop doesnt know anything about guitars so he's not much help.

Anyways,about the guitar:

All markings or serial numbers and anyway of identifing the guitar have been either scraped off or painted over.

The guitar is a standard RR body shape,set neck(neck through?),a dark rosewood fretboard and mother of pearl block inlays.(gold)Grover tuners,and a USA made Kahler tremolo(gold).The guitar is all funky wired,whoever had it last really messed it up good because it has a EMG-81 in the bridge(doesnt work,might just not be hooked up...I highly doubt the pickup is dead..could be,who knows),and an EMG select in the neck(sounds like a loose wire,but does kinda work).The guitar needs to be completely rewired,which is not a problem,i love doing that kinda stuff anyways.It needs a little tinkering and cleaning to.

It's like one of those RR3's,got the pickguard and two humbuckers but dont the RR's now days use a Floyd rose(or lisenced version)tremolo?...This one has an american made Kahler.

I've been looking for a cheap RR type guitar and this one comes with a case for like $150 and could be talked down.The paint thats on it now is this weird color shifting stuff,feels like spray paint lol.

At first i passed it off as being a super cheap copy,but i've never seen an RR flying V with block inlays and an american made kahler tremolo.Plus its set neck,not bolt on...Something about this guitar strikes me as odd...

Could anyone help me?...Worth it maybe?or what..

Thanks.

Re: Mystery pawnshop RR type guitar.

When you go back, take a look on the fretboard past the last fret and see if it has anything stamped there. As far as the emg being dead, it might just be the battery. I got my 85 RR for 300 at a pawn shop just because the battery was dead. The older gentleman running the pawnshop had never heard of a guitar that needed a battery.

Comment

I know Jackson used kahlers in the 80's. I think they made RRs originaly with block inlays. Could it be an early 80's model? What are the markings on headstock? Can you take a pic and post it?

Comment

You need to get some pics bro! There are too may clones floating around for anyone to guess based on your description alone. PICS DAMMIT!!!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Sorry no cam [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .I'll stop buy the place tomorrow and take a closer look at the guitar.The guitar has no markings on the headstock,no serial #'s on the back.Whoever had it last repainted the whole thing.I'm thinking about buying it...Very tempting but i dont wanna spend the $150 on some chinese hunk of poo with major issues.I havent thought of looking at the fretboard past the last fret,ill check that out when i stop by there tomorrow.

Any idea's of what model it could/might be?

Thanks!

Comment

Fuck it. Take a chance. It's $150 and the emg's will bring almost that parted out.

Brett

Comment

Your right,i'll buy it!...If i sand it down and find some serial numbers,can you guys help me track down what it is?

Thanks a ton guys!

Comment

The block inlays sound like a hondo or aria import...or something like that.

I've seem some of these in pawn shops and they don't seem that bad. If the Kahler is in good shape it should be worth something as well.

Comment

Practically all Jackson neck-throughs have the serial number stamped on the end of the fretboard. Many employee and 'star' guitars don't have a serial, and some production models escaped the shop without them as well. Block inlays were only stock on the LTD, but these aren't very common and are pretty valuable. These don't have pickguards, though.

Comment

It's most likely a Honda Formula Series or an Epiphone, both of which were not bad guitars. I agree, for $150 you can bust it up at a big gig and get a thrill,
                    or you might have a nice beater!

I kinda like adopting mutts when they're nice mutts!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thats what I do most of the time is adopt mutts.with the EMGs and the Kahler I would probably buy it just for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                        It's most likely a Honda Formula Series or an Epiphone, both of which were not bad guitars. I agree, for $150 you can bust it up at a big gig and get a thrill,

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's a Hondo...it's a piece of plywood crap. The Epi version is solid basswood at least.
                        Chances are..with the rosewood board, and the block inlays like you mentioned....it's definitely a Hondo Formula series...and therefore junk.

But $150 for the parts which isn't too bad I suppose.

Comment

I had and sold one that sounds like the one you're describing. The name on the headstock said "Turbo."

Shoulda said "Crappo."

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorX7:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lerxstcat:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If it's a Hondo...it's a piece of plywood crap. The Epi version is solid basswood at least.
                            Chances are..with the rosewood board, and the block inlays like you mentioned....it's definitely a Hondo Formula series...and therefore junk.

But $150 for the parts which isn't too bad I suppose.
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Some Epiphones also had the block inlays
                            and rosewood boards, so those features don't automatically make it a Hondo. I didn't know the Hondos were plywood, so if that were so it'd suck, but again, a Kahler, EMGs and the hsc are worth the $,
                            and again, a good smashing guitar is a worthwhile prop.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah...a buddy of mine had a Hondo. He had stripped it, and lo and behold...it was plywood.
                              We set it on fire...burned for quite a while, as all those layers of plywood took a long time to burn...LOL! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I didn't realize the Epis had blocks...oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X