No announcement yet.

so whats the story on this J-50 pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so whats the story on this J-50 pickup?

ive been hearing that Jackson made an active pickup and supposedly its one of the best sounding active humbuckers ever made. when did they start/stop making them and how hard is it to find one?

(sorry if this has already been posted, but ive tried searching the boards and couldnt find anything)

Re: so whats the story on this J-50 pickup?

The J50 isn't an active pickup although it was designed for Jacksons active mid-boost circuit. It's a very common misconception.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The J50 was not active, it was passive. Jackson had active circuits that worked with their pickups, such as a preamp/gain boost, mid-sweep, and bass/treble cut/boost (for the basses only), but the pickups themselves were passive.

The J90 and J95 pickups were the hottest. The J50 is a medium output pickup that sounds good for Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath, but if you're looking for balls-out gain, go with the J90 or 95.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Jackson used to make pickups but, haven't for quite a few years. you would really have to try them yourself to see if you like them, as some people really love them (like me)and some people yank them out and replace them as soon as they get the guitar, like I said I really like the J50 and the J90 especially. try them!
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I think the Rhoads EX had J50's (not sure tho' - we'd have to ask Tekky about that). The pups in that guitar were decent, pretty hot and good sounding, but didn't do well with palm-muted riffs on the heavy strings (the tone got muddy). It was the same story with the stock pickups in the RR-X, but I have no idea what model those were...

If it was me, I'd rip them out right away and replace with EMGs. I need that additional tightness in the lower registers.

'bane

Comment

I have one guitar with a J50 and it's rather mild, but very good for early metal sounds. (baby blue Jackson Strat)

Then I have the J50C in my Dinky Strathead, and that thing is HOT and brutal... Normally I love my EMG 85, but the J50c in my dinky is plenty for me to play with.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
              I think the Rhoads EX had J50's (not sure tho' - we'd have to ask Tekky about that). The pups in that guitar were decent, pretty hot and good sounding, but didn't do well with palm-muted riffs on the heavy strings (the tone got muddy). It was the same story with the stock pickups in the RR-X, but I have no idea what model those were...

If it was me, I'd rip them out right away and replace with EMGs. I need that additional tightness in the lower registers.

'bane
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Correct !

I have a Rhoads EX sitting next to me formerly equipped with dual J 50's without any boost circuits. The neck pickup was incredibly warm & bassy, but the bridge pickup was pure mud IMO. I could never even eq out a clear tone from the bridge.
              It was my first Jackson but has since recently been parted out [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

so are these pickups really really good? or do they pale in comparison to EMGs, or Dimarzios and Duncans?

and does jackson still make them?

Comment

I have a J95 [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] in a 1987 jackson soloist single hum layout and the pickup rock's it is my fav jackson pickup of all time. I like the new evh duncan that come's in the 25th ann charvel very sweet pickup!!! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X