Charvel model series necks VS. Jackson Import neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel model series necks VS. Jackson Import neck

Well I wasn't sure were this fit, so here it goes.

Has anyone ever done a side by side comparison of the two?

Do all of the MIJ necks compare to eachother interms of playability / quality / feel ?

My sister's model two feels fantastic, but that is about all I can say!

Can anybody shed a little more light on the subject for me?

Re: Charvel model series necks VS. Jackson Import neck

bump

Comment

Re: Charvel model series necks VS. Jackson Import

They're all hand finished, so actual backshape varies from guitar to guitar. I've felt model series necks that were thin, and some that were rather thick...

I would assume that the professional series stuff would be similarly different...
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

right on zeno. I've had 3 model 1's (with 5 different necks) and every one felt different. In comparison to my Jackson imports there were similar differences.

Comment

The Charvel model series basically became the Jackson Import line once the Charvel line was phased out. And generally speaking, I find them both to be of high quality during that era, up until the mid-90s....I can't comment on the import Jacksons after that.

BTW, my Model 2 is what sold me on the Charvel/Jackson line!
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Every guitar feels different.

Its wierd, I was playing some strats today, playing about 10 different ones, American Series, Highway 1, Standard series, and I found a Sunburst Fat Strat Mexican made, that had ALL the strats beat. It felt and sounded so good, was nice and heavy, a perfect neck. It beat some American series strats there, made them feel like Squiers!

Comment

It is tough to generalize, but I would say that the bolt-on Model necks were--on average--slightly thinner than the newer Japanese Jackson necks I've played. But not dramatically so. And they all have a feel that's very identifiable as Jackson/Charvel--usually a pronounced 'D-profile'.

Comment

How about in terms of quality. Do the newer Jackson necks have a lot of problems like glue runs / sharp fret edges.

I mean I know some problems are inevitable, but is one unquestionably a better neck than the other?

I'm just planning a new project and don' want to be let down on the neck.

Comment

All of the new Jackson imports I've played, which is only a couple of DXMG/DXMGT models, and a SL3 a while back, and they all felt like Jacksons... I didn't pay too close attention to the detail, but for the price, the DXMG stuff seemed really nice.

pro-fusion, I agree they all felt like Jacksons, but I've played a number of each model series, and while they all felt nice and played like a Jackson, they had varying neck shapes... a lot of variety from each specific shape... from the really thin flat spot D shape, to more rounded and sometimes thicker necks.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I agree about the variety, xeno. My point was that the 'average' one, if that can be said to exist, was thinner than current Jackson import necks--on which you almost never see a Wizard-like profile anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X