Ebony wood turning brown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony wood turning brown?

I just noticed today the ebony fretboard on my y2kv is turning brown in a spot near the 5th fret on the high e string. Ive tried scrubbing on it w/ my finger and some 0000 steel wool and its still there so i know its not a fingerprint from hell or anything. Anyone know what the deal is?

Re: Ebony wood turning brown?

I know ebony is a high maintence wood. Have you tried using lemon oil to keep it healthy?

Comment

I had the same thing happening to me. Iced is correct - try a good cleaning w/ lemon oil.

I've also had good success w/ Dr. Ducks Axe Wax. I haven't gone back to that since someone here suggested the lemon oil to me, though. I think that the Dr Ducks does more making it shiny than protecting the wood, though.

Comment

well, ebony isn't nice and dark and even, some of it, if not a lot of it, is pretty stripey. it could have been dyed, and it's coming out...?

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ive heard of ebony boards being dyed before but this is a USA Jackson, I dont think mine is dyed. I had lemon oiled the board about a week before I noticed this.

Comment

Maybe its skin cancer then [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

it's very very common to dye ebony boards to get it that dark.... even on usa jacksons. you may want to knock off the lemon oil, though...

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, ebony runs in color from black to light brown to even yellow streaks... it's not always black, and I know Jackson uses dye to make the boards look consistent. Grab some lemon oil and do some rubbing on your fretboard, and you'll see some black. That is from the dye.

That doesn't make it any better or worse, it's just the inherent properties of the wood, which by nature, is inconsistent.

No big deal, you can get ebony dye from stew mac if that bothers you.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                X