My new theory on Charvel and EVH.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new theory on Charvel and EVH.

You'd think I have better things to do with my time than think about this, and you'd be right. But... I have a theory.

Eddie is going to bypass any traditional endorsement deals with Charvel and other companies. Instead he will start his own company called EVH Guitars and he will sell direct to customers via his own website or his Ebay store. EVH Guitars will sell guitars that are built by Charvel and amps that are built by some as of yet, unnamed company (other than Peavey). The amp will be very close to the current 5150 amp. Once the first 90 hand striped/signed guitars are sold, the rest will be much cheaper and will be regular production models. He probably will only sell direct and there will be no dealers involved.

This is the perfect scenario for Eddie because he will have total control over the design and production, plus he gets all the money instead of a portion of it. He will most likely get all the products built for free or next to nothing in exchange for promoting the companies that build his products.

It's good for Charvel and whoever builds the amps because of the association with Eddie. It's good for Eddie because he makes all the profits.

There were no amps visible on stage when I saw VH, just cabs. And although they had a tiny Peavey logo on them, the main logo was the EVH logo that's very similar to the one that's now on the headstock of the Art Series guitars.

I'm probably wrong... it's just a theory of mine.

Matt
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Re: My new theory on Charvel and EVH.

That'd be kinda cool.

Comment

Interesting....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        EVH Guitars will sell guitars that are built by Charvel

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean FMIC?
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Anything's possible, I suppose. If I were a betting man, I'd say most of the 90 will be sold through dealers, and only the ones he actually plays live will be auctioned off. If another line follows, it'll be a less expensive production version, ala Wolfgangs. But that won't be for at least another 6 months. Possibly a year. And possibly another company.

Those auctions are an awesomely original marketing approach, but their appeal will only last so long. Ultimately, volume = maximum profit. Even Ed must understand this.

As to amps... He must be shopping around now. Marshall, maybe?

Comment

marshall would be great, since (even though he loves his 5150s), he's always been impressed by his old marshalls and used to use them in the studio, obviously before the peaveys. (but exact history, someone else can give a way better explanation)

so i'm guessin this means he's done with two-hummed basswooded flamed maple topped axes?

but all you guys, this is a cool thread, very interesting. I liked the dealer distribution idea. someday i might like to get one. or go the way of GMW. whichever [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Comment

I really doubt that there will be a standard "production line"

90 guitars, even for EVH to sell is a LOT. Especially since most will sell for some pretty serious money $4500+...

After those are sold, I really doubt any more will be done, unless those 90 really go quick.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

OK, I'm Fender. I just bought out Jackson/Charvel and now I'm going to build guitars for someone so they can make all the profit [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

All Fender has to do to open the floodgates is start making Strat-head Charvels. Let the custom shop go crazy with 80's style graphics and the EVH's will be a small footnote to the whole deal.

Comment

I don't know the whole deal just seems a little unprofessional.
                    1: starting before the peavy contracts up
                    2:The auction stopping and starting did'nt help!
                    3: The bike sitting in that grubby garage instead of lets say the Jackson/Charvel or Fender headquarters
                    4: bike giveaway handled poorly. My idea would be each buyer would get a ticket in the case to be choosen on 12/31/04
                    5: Eddie striping on his dining room table

a few other thing too that I can't bring to mind. But like the tabloids say good or bad publicity is still publicity and will definatly give exposure to Charvel. It'll be interesting to watch how this plays out [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

I still think the current marketing by EVH/Charvel/FMIC is purely to get around the legal mumbo-jumbo within the current Peavey contract. It's the best scheme they could come up with and not get into too many legal problems with Peavey. The auctions were probably pulled because either 1) Peavey went nuts with the legal dept. or 2) EVH and company thought the guitars weren't bidding high enough and wanted them to be on eBay longer before the auctions completed.

Anybody have a clue when the current Peavey/EVH guitar contract is up? I'll bet you see a full blown Charvel endoresement when that contract is up. Eddie always has been and still is a "Charvel-man". He had Peavey copy an old San Dimas neck for the Wolfgang. The main reason he hasn't been associated with Charvel/Jackson all these years is that Grover Jackson pissed him off by making black/yellow copy guitars. Eddie has never had a problem with Fender so here we are.............

Comment

Back to the amp thing....Didn't Ed HEAVILY mod Marshalls back in the day? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I read somewhere that he wasted several amps in the mid 70's looking for that "warm brown" sound. Maybe he will capitalize on his modding techniques as well....dunno.

I have to admit. The EVH logo is pretty prevalent these days. An EVH guitar company is not too far fetched IMHO. Let's just hope he doesnt talk to Neal Schon. [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
                        >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Wait, I'm away from the bb for a couple days and now I hear all this talk about EVH and new guitars! Please catch me up guys. Is he leaving Peavey? Have there been pictures of the new guitar online I can see?
                          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Amps - I predict either a Bogner / EVH re-union (Rhienhold modded his early Marshall's...) or a Roccaforte / EVH deal...

Steve E

Comment

I think this is a very plausible scenario. Eddie will basically subcontract out through other vendors-not an unusual thing in any industry. I could easily see any company being willing to work with him on this, especially if the guitars and amps were advertised as EVH by (insert company name). Regardless of where his career is now, Eddie is the only guitarist I can think of with enough name recognition to do an arrangement like that (perhaps with the exception of Clapton).

Comment

Working...
                              X