Opinions please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please...

I'm thinking about selling my lefty trans green soloist and maybe another brand guitar to get a JJ2. Currently the 2 Jacksons (PC1 and SL1) in my collection have Floyds. The problem is that on stage I can never have both @ the same time becuase I have to do the drop D thing on a couple songs and I just have no faith in a D-TUNA [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Bringing 3 guitars would be tough 'cause some of the stages we play can get quite small. Don't get me wrong, the SL1 is a great axe. There are just so many that I can own without my wife having a cow.

Just receiving my PC1 has confirmed the quality of Jackson. I believe that they are the best guitars ever made. Since my band gets pretty big crowds especially over the summer I want to be seen with only Jacksons on stage.

Do you think that getting a JJ2 would be a good choice?

Re: Opinions please...

No dude, go with the Hondo with a Bigsby....

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperfuzz:
      No dude, go with the Hondo with a Bigsby....
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Only if it comes with Epiphone designed pickups [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Can't you just have one setup for Drop D and one not? That's what I did when I mostly had floyds, then just kept a fixed bridge as a backup nearby. It doesn't necessarily have to be onstage with you as chances are, you probably won't need to use it much, just nearby and handy. Just my thoughts. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrod:
          Can't you just have one setup for Drop D and one not? That's what I did when I mostly had floyds, then just kept a fixed bridge as a backup nearby. It doesn't necessarily have to be onstage with you as chances are, you probably won't need to use it much, just nearby and handy. Just my thoughts. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never thought about it. That would work though. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by slash:
            Tell your wife you need a guitar for every tunning you use. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good luck with that one. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I could only find a way to make it benefit her... Or at least make it sound that way [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Get a nice Korg DTR-1, and if you adjust your fine tuners correctly, with the low e almost all the way out when in drop D, after a few weeks of normal practice, you should be able to go from E to drop D, or from drop D to E in less than a minute.

I know I could on my Dinky Strathead, my KV or my Warrior.

After doing it a few dozen times, you just get "the feel" for it, and you loosen or tighten ALL of your fine tuners "to feel", then you check against your DTR tuner.

After about 3 months, I would mostly be off a few cents on each string, once or twice I was practically dead-on.

Either that or tune your other guitar, but after getting used to doing this, I've never had any problems, and can do this faster than it took for my other guitarist to switch guitars.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
                I recently acquired a JJ and love it. It'll feel a lot different than your Soloist if the neck profile is still like it was when mine was built (thicker and more rounded than most modern Jackson necks). Great guitars but definitely try one out first if the profile is a big issue.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That model always caught my eye. I love the logo.
                I am very picky with necks though. Unfortunatly the nearest left handed one is 8 hrs away @ DCGL. So unless we go up there for vacation it will pretty much be an order and be SOL kind thing.

Comment

This is why I F'n hate non-standard tunings. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Our current bass player - who's relatively new to the instrument, no less - is being a PITA about playing downtuned songs in their original key. "That's the way I learned it, though!" [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not a clue what this means in terms of playing songs in their original fretboard positions, as relating to compensating for non-standard tunings.

And the singers are changing keys on other tunes. Not because they don't have the range to do the original keys, mind you. Just because they "feel better" in the middle of their range.

Cripes, if I had no spine, I'd be bringing ten different axes to deal with ten different tunings. And, since they're relatively clueless, they probably think I'm being difficult. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Personally, I think Soloists are awesome, so I would never recomend someone to sell it unless they absolutely had to.

On the other hand, D-tuna's DO work and STAY in tune when set up properly (at least on my Wolfgang). Havent tried it on a Soloist though.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                      This is why I F'n hate non-standard tunings. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]

Our current bass player - who's relatively new to the instrument, no less - is being a PITA about playing downtuned songs in their original key. "That's the way I learned it, though!" [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not a clue what this means in terms of playing songs in their original fretboard positions, as relating to compensating for non-standard tunings.

And the singers are changing keys on other tunes. Not because they don't have the range to do the original keys, mind you. Just because they "feel better" in the middle of their range.

Cripes, if I had no spine, I'd be bringing ten different axes to deal with ten different tunings. And, since they're relatively clueless, they probably think I'm being difficult. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is one lame ass song that we do where I'm supposed to be tuning down but I don't 'cause I feel unless the song is based off of open chorded notes, it just isn't worth it to put the energy into it [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe:
                        Get a nice Korg DTR-1, and if you adjust your fine tuners correctly, with the low e almost all the way out when in drop D, after a few weeks of normal practice, you should be able to go from E to drop D, or from drop D to E in less than a minute.

I know I could on my Dinky Strathead, my KV or my Warrior.

After doing it a few dozen times, you just get "the feel" for it, and you loosen or tighten ALL of your fine tuners "to feel", then you check against your DTR tuner.

After about 3 months, I would mostly be off a few cents on each string, once or twice I was practically dead-on.

Either that or tune your other guitar, but after getting used to doing this, I've never had any problems, and can do this faster than it took for my other guitarist to switch guitars.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll have to check that out @ home

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Shreds_A_Lot:
                          Personally, I think Soloists are awesome, so I would never recomend someone to sell it unless they absolutely had to.

On the other hand, D-tuna's DO work and STAY in tune when set up properly (at least on my Wolfgang). Havent tried it on a Soloist though.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So when you use your D-TUNA the other strings don't go a hair sharp?

Comment

i take 4 guitars live...2 in 1/2 step down and 2 in 1/2 step down with low string dropped a full step...usually i don't go to my backups unless i want to [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
                            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

D-tunas dont work, i had one on my wayne, i took it off about a week after i got the guitar, its a POS, & its more of a hassle than just leaving the E&A unlocked. & the floyd is against the body so you cant pullup(essentially blocked) & it still didnt work right.

Comment

Working...
                              X