Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions please...

Originally posted by labelscott:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by shreddermon:

Our current bass player - who's relatively new to the instrument, no less - is being a PITA about playing downtuned songs in their original key. "That's the way I learned it, though!" [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Not a clue what this means in terms of playing songs in their original fretboard positions, as relating to compensating for non-standard tunings.

And the singers are changing keys on other tunes. Not because they don't have the range to do the original keys, mind you. Just because they "feel better" in the middle of their range.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is one lame ass song that we do where I'm supposed to be tuning down but I don't 'cause I feel unless the song is based off of open chorded notes, it just isn't worth it to put the energy into it [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sounds like there's a plethora of lazy bandmembers out there! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart:
      i take 4 guitars live...2 in 1/2 step down and 2 in 1/2 step down with low string dropped a full step...usually i don't go to my backups unless i want to [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The idea of having one dedicated to drop D is looking attractive

Comment

I suggest doing the "poor man's D-tuna" like Xeno. The fine tuners do have a full 1-step range, so it's easy to do the Drop-D thing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For me the D-Tuna works perfectly. You do have to fine tune the allen screw on the D-tuna itself, and of course you need a non recessed bridge. Other than that, no problems. Also you want to try to do as little fine tuning on the allen screw as possible by having the floyd tuned as perfectly in the non d-tuned mode (If I remember correctly). It when you have to overuse the allen screw on the D-tuna that it starts to angle it and causes the other strings to go sharp.

Is it a pain in the ass? Yes, but once you set it up correctly and are familiar with it, it becomes much easier.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by deviltronix:
            For me the D-Tuna works perfectly. You do have to fine tune the allen screw on the D-tuna itself, and of course you need a non recessed bridge. Other than that, no problems. Also you want to try to do as little fine tuning on the allen screw as possible by having the floyd tuned as perfectly in the non d-tuned mode (If I remember correctly). It when you have to overuse the allen screw on the D-tuna that it starts to angle it and causes the other strings to go sharp.

Is it a pain in the ass? Yes, but once you set it up correctly and are familiar with it, it becomes much easier.

Rich
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My soloist has a recessed bridge. Although I could live without pulling up on that guitar. Maybe I could block it out or something. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

i use the D-tuna on my musicman EVH and it works perfect. most importent is to set it up correctly!
              when we play live, i have another guitar with drop-D tuning too.

Comment

Don't forget that Jackson is coming out with the SL1T and SL2T, fixed bridge versions of their soloists. Our sponsor, Easton Guitars, has some on order. I am sure the other dealers could order one for you as well.

Cheers,

-Mike

Comment

Blocking it does make fine tuning your other strings when going from standard to drop tuning.

What I mentioned above, I do on a floating bridge.

Once you get the hang of it, it's not a big deal, and you get a natural feel of how many turns you need to adjust each fine tuner...

I would tune down or back up without looking at the tuner, only using it to check when I think I've "reached" correct tuning.

I am NOT a perfect pitch type, and I did this based on tactile feel of how much I turned my fine tuners to get to the point of where they needed to be. It really works.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Tell your wife you need a guitar for every tunning you use. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good luck with that one. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I recently acquired a JJ and love it. It'll feel a lot different than your Soloist if the neck profile is still like it was when mine was built (thicker and more rounded than most modern Jackson necks). Great guitars but definitely try one out first if the profile is a big issue.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Thanks all. It looks like I have a few options to check out before I try to unload anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X