Oh how it hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oh how it hurts

I try to do everything to keep my gear scratchless and dingless [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but the only way to keep it in that condition is NOT to play it. I DO play it, though. You guess the rest... shit happens from time to time.

Comment

My guitars have some scratches in the clearcoat that can be seen in angled lighting, but none of them have paint chips...I hope my first SL2H will -never- get chipped!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
      When I get it I'm gonna baby it all the time like it's my first-born [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- Rune

Comment

I feel your pain. For me it has nothing to do with resale, I want my guitars to be in the best shape possible no matter how long I have had um. Just be aware of your surroundings when playing a guitar, especially something with a long wing. How someone can strap on a $1500 guitar and be careless is beyond me.

Matt

Comment

Well, I agree with most of the comments...

I love to keep my guitars in the best shape possible, but if you're in a band and practice or play a lot, shit indeed does happen.

One of the first practices I was using my Dinky Strathead, the drummer asked me to hand him a bottle, and as I leaned over to hand it to him, the strap shifted a little and dinged the headstock right into a cymbal... It's hardly even noticable, and I freaked when it happened, but I play that guitar a lot, and NEVER EVER plan on selling her, so no big deal really.

My $2000 custom bass ended up falling face first on industrial carpeted slab concrete because of a worn out Dunlop straplock. Cracked the headstock down the center. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I just ended up gluing the crack and it's good as new... but THAT was a fright-inducing moment.

Shit happens. Music gear is meant to be played, so in general use, something is BOUND to happen.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I appreciate all the battle scar stories and support. I'm not like totally devasted or anything, it was just stupidity on my part. I'm just messing around with some scales,standing, wife asks me were something is, I pull the guitar strap over my head,while holding it with my right hand at the neck pocket, I politely walk into the bar and boom. She sees this and says "Oh didn't hurt it did it?" I felt like saying your'e damn straight it did but I held back because it wasn't her fault just my hurried rush that caused it. Anyhow atleast it wasn't as bad as some of you guys incidents. It's my black DXMG so it wasn't like I messed up an SL-1 but even though she's not a USA Jackson I still love it. I got it From Matt at OLSG when he was clearing out his Jackson gear and it was his last DXMG and he made me a great deal on her, super guy to deal with.

Comment

I had more damage happen to guitars in live situations, culminating with taking the headstock completely off a Les Paul onstage.
              Hard to grab that next chord when the headstock is swinging like a pendulum on crack down by your knees...

Comment

This is why i only want used beat up guitars. If only i could find some nice high quality ones that are beat up, but people are to careful with them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I always put mine in the case when I'm done, and I keep the case on a bar-like table in the basement where I play. But I am now super super careful, 'cause with my first jackson I managed to whack it against the case's aluminum lip rail and took a nasty bit out of the finish, right down to the wood.

sucks.

but been super careful since that and haven't bashed any other axes [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I remember getting my first electric for x-mas one year. I was like 12yrs old. I also got this really cool glass pic frame thing that had sand and water in it. You could flip it over and the sand would like change landscapes... you probably know what I mean. The thing is this was apparently a one time shot. My dad had seen it in a Sears at the mall, and some company was in there selling them. After Xmas they were gone. Anyway i got this POS Harmony electric guitar, I fucking hated it. I wanted a Jackson, or at least anything better than a Harmony. So its the day after Xmas and I'm at least messin around with the guitar. Its around my neck and I go to walk down the hallway when, bump, the headstock taps the glass sand thing sitting on the 27 zenith console tv. It hits the floor and shatters. Sand and water went everywhere. I was so pissed off at myself, I threw the guitar down on the hardwood floor. Ya know that damn thing didn't even get a fucking scratch. I hated that thing. It sounded like shit, my friends all made fun of me later on. I remember one kid back in like 86 or 87 had a brand new Red Charvel Model 5. I didnt even want anyone to see me with mine. I ended up selling to a pawn shop for $10 and they gave me $15 for the Gorilla amp. I think I did pretty good! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway now that you are all getting sleepy... you will all give me your guitars....so very very sleepy.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well thats my sob story, even though it was a little off topic.. since I didnt ding my guitar. I figured I'd tell you guys. I never told anybody that story before. I'd almost forgot about it, till I read this thread. Thanks... now somebody give me shit about it.... go ahead.

Comment

playem, most of my guitars are around 20years old & they look like they were played, not abused or anything just normal ding scratches & stuff. no big deal as for new guitars, hell my wayne lasted 3 days before i took some nice chips out of it....oh well still plays & sounds the same...i think

Comment

Hell, look at what people are paying for those ESP Kirk Hammett relic's. They look like they were Billy Bob's wittlin stick. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Superfly:

10000 bucks but it will be an exact replica of his.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ummm....I think I would rather spend $600 on a beater strat that got that way from being played, and spend the other $9400 on 3 custom shop Jacksons. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

My second guitar was a KV3 back around 98 or so. Back then they listed at $1000.
                            Sweet Trans Blue and was just sexy. I always jammed at my friends house so I always left my King V there and used my Mockingbird at home. Seems one day my friends uncle decided he wanted to check our guitars out. Seems he took a liking to my V and while messing with it he somehow managed to make the strap come off the strap buttons. From what he said, and it looked that way, it landed body first directly on the point of the bottom part of the V. Broke it off about six inches in, needless to say thats when I became paranoid about people playing my guitars.

Comment

Did he die a horrible death? Ok, did he at least give you some compensation?

Comment

Yeah he gave me what it would have cost to get it repaired, ended up buying a BC Rich Beast instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X