Oh how it hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh how it hurts

Just wondering how everyone else felt when they got there first battle scar on their ax. I know most will say just play the thing and all those nicks adds character but the first one hurts like hell, especially when it got there due to sheer carelessness. Oh well, I'll quit whining now.

Re: Oh how it hurts

There was a bumper sticker back in the 80's that I had on the bumper of my 1973 Volkswagon Thing that summed it pretty much up.....

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] SHIT HAPPENS [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a Gibson LP studio and I am pretty cautious with my stuff. it had no scratch, until a cousin of mine (who plays guitar as well) wanted to try it for size. And I (stupid prick) said yes. so he starts playing: way to rough and I removed the pickguard (it's not necencary for my) but it was for him: one hell of a beautiful scratch. I can tell you: that asshole will NEVER EVER touch one of my guitars again.

harrald

Comment

Funny thing about nicks and marks on a guitar.

One ding and I get upset, cause after all, the guitar was mint till I just dinged it. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

50 dings, I think the guitar looks cool as hell. Like the Fender relics, I love'em.

So I guess the answer is once you have one ding, hurry up and get 49 more!

Comment

Now this question is really objectionable.

If you want to preserve the resale of your axe...then baby it and keep it ding/scratch free.

If it's yours for eternity, and you plan on taking it to the grave with you...then don't let a couple of dings or scratches or whatever else piss on your parade.

Now...in the case of a brand spanking new minty fresh guitar that's "virgin free" of any such scarring...I'd do my best to keep it that way.
          I have only one guitar that I plan on keeping as mint as the day I took possession of it. That's my custom shop Deathwarrior. Only because I'm one of the batch of people that take really really good care of their guitars.

Just my opinion....

Comment

I am like Ken. I take really good care of my guitars. I always cover up my belt buckle, and am careful who I let play them. That said, they were built to be played. I don't really sweat the small dings if they happen, but I do my best to avoid them. Our last bass player was "large" and whenever I was using one of my V's or Explorers (or Kellys) I would kindly ask him to be careful not to bump the pointy ends. I may be the only one here that has no dings on their Jackson V's. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] My RR1T has a tiny ding, but that was from the previous owner.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I agree if you're thinking of resale, you take extra care with the guitar all the time. Personally most of my guitars are players, and I don't plan on ever selling them. That said, I still take care not to dent them up, but if I do get a small ding for some reason, I'm not broken up over it, because like I said, my guitars are players.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The dings bother me. But we are usually at fault for putting them there. How ever stress cracks in the clearcoat kill me. My ESP skulls and snakes developed a stress crack from the trem cavity up to the top of the body. To old for warranty repair. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Thats very upsetting.

Comment

I bought a San Dimas pointy new in early 1984. I owned it about 2 months and it was in 10/10 shape and one day i dropped a distortion pedal on it. It made a dent about like a 3/4 centimeter circle on the front where it bashed in the clearcoat. It coulda been a lot worse, but it bounced right off. I was pretty shocked at the time, really bothered that I let that happen. Now that the guitar is 20 years old it doesn't seem out of place.It was mwant to be played anyway. There are very tiny dings on my PRS and SL1 put there by me, but it's not like they are collector guitars and I use them all the time so no worries. I still try my best to keep them in as good a shape as I can.

Comment

I know all about the battle scars man...the back of the neck on my guitar is 3 different colors! As long as the dings don't threaten the integrity of the guitar I don't mind them. It's gonna get beat up anyway yknow?

Comment

if you play it live...it will get dinged eventually... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
                      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

No Kiddin, DM. My faovrite guitars over the years always became my #1 live guitars as well. Its amazing how quickly they get beat up!

Comment

The first ding always sucks [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] . But after that it doesn't bother me at all. I gig about 70-80 times a year and shit happens all of the time.

We were doing an outdoor gig once on a covered stage and got caught in a T-storm with heavy rain and 80 mph winds. Stack got knocked over, My V and SL1 were on the stands and took a dump, I had hard drum cases flying hitting me in the head. My Axes were getting rained on from the rain coming in sideways. The owners made us go inside 'cause they didn't want anyone to get hurt [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . So I'm dieing thinking about whats happening to my gear. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

The guitar damage:
                          V: broken tuner and cracked volume knob
                          SL1: a couple rusty floyed screws and maybe one small ding.

At least I didn't have any light cans fall on me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph E.:
                            Funny thing about nicks and marks on a guitar.

One ding and I get upset, cause after all, the guitar was mint till I just dinged it. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

50 dings, I think the guitar looks cool as hell. Like the Fender relics, I love'em.

So I guess the answer is once you have one ding, hurry up and get 49 more!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">EXACTLY !!!
                            those fender relics are really great.
                            Have you seen the ones they are doing to imitate SRVs No 1 ?
                            i think there are only to be like 25 made. they took EXACT measurements of everything and are recreating it. scratches, dings, there is even a HUGE piece taken out of the upper bout that they are doing is well.
                            10000 bucks but it will be an exact replica of his.
                            Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

Its definitely a relief after the first ding, you stop being ULTRA careful about any mark on it. I think its for the best.

As long as your still pretty careful it should be okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X