Charvels...which are better ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvels...which are better ?

I'd like to know if there's a difference in quality between the old style guitar logo Charvels as compared to the toothpaste logoed ones. I thank you all in advance.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Charvels...which are better ?

Not so much a difference in quality, as a difference in features. The 'toothpaste' Charvels were introduced in 1989, and that was the same year that J/C switched from using the JT-6 trem w/Kahler-style stringlock to a Schaller trem w/Floyd-style locking nut, which I think most people would say was a real upgrade. That's the main difference between the two eras, apart from cosmetic features. However, I guess the toothpaste era is also better if you prefer Dinky bodies over Strat bodies, since the Models 3 and 4 (which were strats) were converted into the 375 and 475 (with dinky bodies) in the toothpaste era.

Of course, there were a handful of models, such as the 750xl and the Fusion, that were first introduced during the toothpaste era, but you can't really compare those, since there's nothing similar to them from the 'model' Charvel era.

In terms of build quality, I doubt you'd find any difference at all. It's not like J/C switched factories or workers along with the logo, after all...and both eras used the same hardware as the U.S. guitars, so there's no difference there.

Comment

Re: Charvels...which are better ?

It's been hashed out here pretty well before.

Just one example:

Nicest import model

I think they're about equal, although I have a preference for the model series on the whole, the Professional XL's toothpastes were great guitars as were some of the fusions and the 375-475 deluxe's. The improvement in the humbucking blade singles in the neck as well as recessed trem routes and use of a Schaller floyd were a bonus. Model Charvels have Kahler or JT6.

Comment

Working...
      X