evh guitars way overpriced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evh guitars way overpriced

the price quotes im gettin are insane this is a basswood body and its production yet they want more than the 25th anniversary model and it pisses me off cause i want one

Re: evh guitars way overpriced

Not sure what the 25th were going for but I've had $2300 which, while pricy, doesn't seem totally ridiculous for the guitars that C/J fans have wanted for years......
    Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I thought list price of 25th was $4000 and EVH should be cheaper.

Comment

<font color="yellow">It's twice as good as the 25th.
        It has a strathead and stripes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        They aren't charging any more than what they think the vast majority of VH fans are willing to pay.
        If they aren't selling, they'll have to lower the price.
        You know that these are going to turn up pretty often used right???
        Catch em cheap then...</font>

Comment

I doubt they'll turn up used - maybe "pre-owned", as in "never played", because the people buying them will be afraid of hurting the resale value.

Are you getting prices for the ones that EVH will personally stripe, or the production models which he will NOT personally stripe? John Walker said at NAMM the production models will be cheaper than the hand-striped ones, but I didn't hear by how much (he was talking to a Dealer).

Honestly, I'd get a Warmoth or Model 2 and have Doc or somebody do a "letter perfect" striping on it if you wanted a player. If you just want a guitar that was hand-jobbed by EVH to hang on the wall, cough up the bucks.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Morgan said 3299 retail for the production models in a thread just a while back when I asked him. I thought maybe 1899 tops but 2300 is a little high. I'd wait and buy one used on ebay for around a 1000.

Comment

Good luck on that.

Comment

I wouldn't know if they were overpriced or not because I can't get any of my emails or phone calls returned to get a price and possibly get on the waiting list as well. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

That retail price is only $300 more than the Retros, isn't it?

Comment

They will be just like the 25th aniversary models, they'll get a big rush of EVH wanna-be's and collectors and then after that they won't sell. BUT........ that's probably the point, make them "limited" and hopefully the wannabe/collector crowd will by up the exact amount of "limited" stock. These aren't the kind of guitar that could continue selling as production models.

If they want these guitars to sell, they really need to get EVH to actually play these things live. The one song a night, non-logo'd Charvel neck thing isn't going to sell guitars.

Comment

It wouldn't matter if EVH played them. The price being asked for the production models is insane. It is a one him, bolt on strat with a floyd. If it was ESP making them everybody would be bugging on the price. They are about twice what it would cost to have GMW do it for you or maybe 3 times the cost to build one yourself from Warmoth parts. They are cool, but not worth the money. I actually wanted one and was ready to part with cash until I heard the price.

Comment

exactly what i was thinking

Comment

Yes, I was ready to buck up for one myself until I got a few price qoutes. The dealers I check are all within a few hundred buck of each other. But they are WAY overpriced for what they are. as previously mentioned, they are a 1 hum bolt on strat with a floyd. Not worth the $$$ they are asking. But hey, if they can get it, more power to them I guess. I do agree that these arent around for hte long haul. They will sell a rush of them for 6 months then its over. I can almost buy 2 new SL2H's for the price of 1 of those EVH models. I like the SL2H way more, and I would play them more. I would feel strange using a EVH striped guitar to play something other than Van Halen tunes. IMHO they are a collectors item. DOnt get me wrong, they are very cool guitars and I am glad they are making them. I just wont buy one.
                          SL2H, here I come!!!
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            It wouldn't matter if EVH played them. The price being asked for the production models is insane. It is a one him, bolt on strat with a floyd. If it was ESP making them everybody would be bugging on the price. They are about twice what it would cost to have GMW do it for you or maybe 3 times the cost to build one yourself from Warmoth parts. They are cool, but not worth the money. I actually wanted one and was ready to part with cash until I heard the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could say the exact same thing about an original SD strat head. Given enough time, energy, and williness to sand you could order parts from Warmoth and create a guitar close enough to an old Charvel.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Look at it this way. It's 3299 list. Figure out what it'd cost using the current CS pricing from http://www.fender.com/resources/pric...df/Charvel.pdf

<ul type="square">[*]$2499.99 for a 1-hum guitar[*]$60 for 1 5/8" nut width[*]$120 for custom neck back shape[*]$120 for floyd[*]About $400 for the finish (I'm guessing here but it seems to be the same relative complexity as those in that price range[/list]

That comes to $3199.99. For the extra hundred bucks you're getting a strathead and lining Eddie's pockets.

That's certainly a lot of money. I just wanted to point out that it is in line with their current pricing.
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X