Difference between fusion models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between fusion models

Hello all. I popped in to ask some of you experts/historians what the differences are between the different Fusion models (pro/import, etc) What is a fair market price for the different models? I played a fusion 10 years ago in a music shop and fell in love with it. Now I am searching for one to buy but I have no idea what I am exactly looking for. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

Re: Difference between fusion models

that is hot. from the pics, is that a us model or import? thanks

Comment

Here's a picture of one that I bought off of Ebay. Should be here tomorrow.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Originally posted by aggro_jo:
        that is hot. from the pics, is that a us model or import? thanks
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's a modified MIJ Charvel Fusion Special.

Comment

so what makes a fusion a "pro" and how many different configurations of pickups were there? Thanks guys lots of good info already

Comment

The "professional" line was simply the term for any Japanese-made Jackson from 1990-1995. Before 1990, all of the Japanese guitars were labeled as Charvels, but for 1990-91, the company added a series of high-end Japanese guitars as "Jackson Professionals"--these all had the exact same features as their U.S. counterparts (ebony fretboards, metal cavity covers etc.). The company probably did this to capitalize on the high market worth of the "Jackson" name at that time, compared to the Charvel name that had been devalued by several years' worth of denoting imports. These models included the Soloist Pro, Rhoads Pro, Warrior Pro, and Fusion Pro. The Fusion and Warrior Pros were only made during '90-91, while the Soloist and Rhoads Pros continued on through 1995, I believe, with a KV Pro being added in the mid-90s, as well.

The Fusion Pro had an ebony board, mother-of-pearl logo and sharkfins, just like the USA Fusion. These are the easiest ways to distinguish one of these from the other import Fusions. I owned a Fusion Pro for awhile (hence my JCF name) and found it to be a really cool guitar. You don't see as many of these on eBay, for some reason.

At the same time, the company created a couple of different models of import Fusions labeled as Charvels further down in the product line. These are distinguished (other than the logo) primarily by having rosewood boards, dot inlays, and glossy finish necks. The different Charvel Fusions were distinguished from each other mostly by different pickup configurations (which I don't know very much about).

After 1991, the Japanese Charvels were discontinued, and all the Japanese guitars after that were labeled as the "Jackson Professional Series", including the lower end stuff. Confusingly, the USA-imitation Soloist and Rhoads guitars at the high end were still called "Pros"--thus, they were the Professional Series Professionals! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

At that point, what had previously been labeled as Charvel Fusions became "Professional Series" Jackson Fusions of a couple of different types. But note, these are DIFFERENT than the original Fusion Pro, being less expensively appointed. Most I've seen have been the "EX" model, which had H/S/S pickups, offset dot inlays, and nonbound board. But you also have the "HH", which was a higher end Japanese guitar, which had bound board, mahogany body, and dual humbuckers--these are more sought-after now.

Jeez, what a convoluted history. Could the people running Jackson at that time possibly have made things any more confusing???

Comment

There have been tons of posts about Fusions on the board. Do a search. In summary though,

All had 24.75" scale necks, all black hardware, Schaller Floyds and a scooped lower horn. From memory, so some more detailed than others...

Charvel Fusion - 2 humbuckers, 1 volume control, rosewood neck, maple was an option. Schaller Floyd. Dot inlays.

Charvel Fusion Custom - 2 rail style single-coil sized J200R humbuckers and 1 regular sized J50 humbucker. 1 tone, 1 volume, all black hardware. Matching headstock. Charvel logo double locking Schaller Floyd. Dot inlays.

Charvel Fusion Special - 3 single-coil sized J200 stacked humbuckers with the bridge and middle in a slanted stuck-together configuration. 1 volume control, all black hardware. Charvel logo Schaller SINGLE-locking Floyd. Dot inlays.

Jackson Fusion Pro - same electronics specs as the Charvel custom but with ebony fretboard and sharkfins

Jackson Fusion HH - 2 regular sized humbuckers, ash body, full binding.

I'm sure someone will add to or correct me on any errors.

Comment

The Fusion HH has a Mahogany body, but Ash would be cool [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff300:

Charvel Fusion - 2 humbuckers, 1 volume control, rosewood neck, maple was an option. Schaller Floyd. Dot inlays.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're combining a couple Charvel models. The Fusion Deluxe had a single-sized rail hum + a J90C, rw or maple board.The Fusion Plus had an ASH body, rw board, and two humbuckers.

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/h...tologe/16c.jpg
                  http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/h...tologe/17c.jpg
                  http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/h...tologe/18c.jpg
                  http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/h...tologe/19c.jpg

Here's the original Jackson Fusion Pro:

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/h...tologe/28c.jpg

Comment

i have a Jackson Fusion SX with H/S/H and a FR lic. trem

Comment

Here's a nice Fusion model, modded just like how I want mine done.
                      Black Fusion

Comment

jammin info guys. thanks a million. I did do a search prior to asking the question but the posts here have been way more informative. The only thing I am missing is what I should expect to pay if I stumble upon any of these models. thanks again [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

also, I checked out Jackson Charvel world.....Is it true that ALL fusion models should have the "skunk stripe" down the back of the neck? I am looking at a fusion import special that does not appear to have the stripe although the inlays appear correct. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by jeff300:
                            All had 24.75" scale necks, all black hardware, Schaller Floyds and a scooped lower horn. From memory, so some more detailed than others...
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's a Fusion EX in a pawn shop near me. It has a black Jackson trem, but no Schaller "West Germany" imprint. I think it's a JT-580.
                            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I've never seen a Fusion with a skunk stripe...
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X