Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do other guitar companies compare to Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do other guitar companies compare to Jackson?

I've played on 100s of guitars, and I own four guitars (Oldddddd Goya acoustic (if someone could help me date it, that'd be amazing), Squire strat, Ibanez RG and my Jackson RR1), but of all the high end guitars I've tried, none compare to my Jackson on many levels. I was wondering if I could get some other peoples opinions and insight into this.

Re: Do other guitar companies compare to Jackson?

It all depends on how you like your guitars to play, I've played some USA Jacksons that haven't been up to par, but not as many as Higher end ibanezs and gibsons. Personally I think my $150 parts strat out plays any $1000 Fender but hey that's just me. As far quality all the way around I'd say Fender's are always real nice and They bringing The Jacksons up to that too.
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I've tried almost every major brand out there, and here's my breakdown:

Ibanez vs Jackson (comparing all of both brand's models): Ibenhads play great and can sound great too, even fresh off the shelf, just like a Jackson. I just don't like their Guerilla tactics, and their horrible customer service.

ESPee VS Jackson. I just recently noodled on a real ESP Kamikaze, and I've played an early "Soloist copy" with the Jackson head, neckthrough, all that (Horizon?). The Kami sucked for playability. Neck like a Jackson Firebird (too fat), ultra-wide board, and brittle acoustic tone (didn't have it on an amp). The Horizon (or whatever it was) felt like a brick with strings on it. Sounded like one as well. I also tried an LTD Bengal. It was ok, but felt weak and flimsy.

Gibson USA vs Jackson USA - Les Paul (Standard & Custom), SG Standard, Flying V, Explorer. Gibson is in a class by themselves, really, because these are the designs that inspired everything else, including Jackson. However, Jacksons hold the leading edge for playability and customization, as well as affordability. Jackson does not have a model that is as awe-inspiring as a Les Paul Black Beauty (for me, anyway), but as I said, Gibson are in a league of their own. Not better, not worse, just different.

Jackson vs Fender - Fender=Strats and Teles and strict adherence to Leo's original designs. No imagination IMO.
      Had Fender adopted the Charvel fretboard radius long ago, as well as the rear-loaded, graphics, Floyds, and Star bodies, they would have crushed Charvel (and probably Jackson as well) back in '85.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

To me there are only 2 guitars worth playing, those are Carvin and Jackson. Granted I'm a Marty Friedman freak and got into those guitars because of him and then was spoiled but I think my carvins and Jackson hold up to anything out there.

I love Gibsons though, but then it's hard to find a guitar player who does not adore at least one Gibson model.
        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

They are plenty of boutique guys that flat-out own Jackson. However, as far as production guitars go, Jackson is close to the top of the heap.

Comment

Here's my take on some of the major guitar companies:

PRS - Too expensive, good looks, but I wouldn't trust their tone for playing metal, seems more like a modern rock tone.

Fender - Only like playing them clean.

Gibson - Expensive, heavy and I'm a floyd fanatic. Their quality isn't consistent at all and it's hard finding one that isn't ugly (Seems all their high end models have gold hardware, and I personally think gold hardware is tacky). The best Les Paul I've ever played was an Epiphone for $700 Canadian. I'd love to find a Les Paul, that looked and sounded good, but so far no dice.

Ibanez - I like my Ibanez RG for practicing, but I haven't found a high end Ibanez I like in terms of tone.

Comment

I would say there are many companies would build great guitars as Jackson.
              I would never think ESP is great as Jackson.
              ESP basically ripped everythig from Jackson and others as well.They are not original.Some great guitars but it makes you to feel like you want to buy an original instead of a copy.You can't fool yourself about that.
              Ibanez are more specialized with bolt on guitars when Jackson are more with Thru Necks.
              BC Rich is a great company with bad business.
              If Fender buys BC Rich they would do great again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I would say company like Dean,Carvin would be right next to Jackson if they could come with some nice designs of guitars.
              [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

There are tons of great guitars and great guitar makers out there.

When Gibson builds something right, it's REALLLLLY good. The Historics and Custom Shop models are amazing guitars pretty much across the board. They don't always compare to a Jackson for shredding because some of those have big ole baseball bat necks - it just depends on the model and in some cases the individual instrument since they aren't cut on CNC machines. Most of the other Gibsons I've played lately have been quite good. Sure they have issues with fit and finish now and again but usually nothing that isn't pretty straightfoward to correct (same goes for Jackson BTW).

Fender is turning out some good stuff as well. Their high end stuff is really nice - the Custom shop models are really quite good. The other great thing about Fender these days are the low end guitars (cost-wise). The MIM models rival the USA stuff and a lot of the MIK and MIJ is really good. I have to say that I am far more impressed with Fender imports than any other brand including Jackson (and don't get me started on Crapiphones).

As for Ibanez, they have some stuff I really like at the high end like the JEMs. But most other Ibanez stuff does not appeal to me much at all.

I've never had a BC Rich or ESP guitar in my hands that I liked. That's just a preference thing though - they seem like they're well made.

I never liked a PRS until I played the Santana III - as much as I can't stand Carlos Santana I bought the guitar anyhow [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Be careful with PRS, a lot of their pickups sound like ass (like the ones in my Santana III).

Then there's Suhr, GMW, Grosh, Peavey, Music Man, etc. who all make good guitars - just a matter of taste at that point.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Some of the old American made B.C.Rich guitars are really nice.

Comment

I love the way ESP's look, just don't care for how the necks feel in my hands. They seem to be well made. They have FAR too many models. Gets really confusing when I'm looking at their catalogs.

Old school BC Rich are killer. Anything after 1999...you gotta play it first. I have 3 and they're great. I've played some of the brand new ones and they were crappy.

Comment

It all boils down to personal choice - for me, PRS just don't do it, but look at how many expensive guitars they sell, to all musical markets. Ibanez just feel cheap to me and when you see one after a couple of years they can look pretty tired. ESP I like, but are pretty much Jackson imitations and seem expensive to me (I guess they have to pay all those endorsees!) The only other production line guitar I'd consider is a Musicman (I love my Axis) but I know the looks aren't for everyone!
                      However, Select series guitars are production instruments and while I consider them without peer in their field, looking at Anderson or Suhr makes you realise what can be done.
                      Still, I wouldn't trade my Jacksons for anything (like I said, personal choice!)
                      Enough of my incoherant ramblings!
                      Cheers
                      Ian
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Jacksons just feel the most "right" to me of any guitar I've owned--like they read my mind about what I want in a guitar. Having said that, I've owned or tried one of just about everything after 20+ years of playing:

--Gibson. Classic designs, but the guitars are comically overpriced nowadays, and I haven't played a recent Les Paul that could compare to my beloved '81 Black Beauty that I had to sell for rent money a few years back. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] That was a sweet guitar and up there with any Jackson ever made.

--Fender. Classic designs also. But I get a sense of confusion from Fender--do they want to stick to the traditional guitars or branch out into modern designs? They are a confusing muddle of both right now.

--ESP. The most overpriced guitars on the planet. For the kind of money you pay for a relatively standard custom shop ESP, you should be able to get something truly one-of-a-kind. Also, I'm another person who thinks the necks don't feel quite right and that the neck-thru guitars sound tone-dead.

--PRS. Not the thing for shredders. They are finely made instruments but have very little aesthetic or playing appeal for me. Like driving around in your parents' Mercury Grand Marquis or something.

--Ibanez. I'm gone hot and cold on Ibanez over the years. Right now I'm back on the Ibanez train--I just got a used RG7620 7-string guitar this weekend, and it is absolutely the best 7-string I've been able to find apart from the very pricey Ibanez Universes. If you want a 7-string guitar w/Floyd Rose, Ibanez is pretty much the only game in town unless you want to get something custom made with the new 7-string Original Floyd Rose bridge. I think that the quality control on even the more expensive Japanese Ibanez varies a lot--you may have to pick through a few to find The One, but when you do you'll have a great guitar. I also find Ibanez to be a very good value, for the most part.

--BC Rich. They've gone through so much turmoil over the years I almost don't know what to think of them. The classic guitars are some really fun stuff that I'd like to collect someday. But they've flooded the market with so many really crappy Korean guitars in the last few years that it dampens my enthusiasm a little bit for the exotic USA guitars. I remember when seeing a BC Rich in person was a little bit like a UFO sighting--now it's likely to be just another piece of Korean plywood. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I hate questions like these. Normally it turns into a slug fest of who make the best guitar in your own opinion. Glad to see no one is just trying to pick a fight.

Jackson does make good guitars. But they as everyone else has issues once in a while. It is to be expected in a manufactoring process.

Gibson- when you find a good one get it, you won't be sorry.

Fender- low end guitars are junk but the high end custom shop is as good as anyone elses.

Ibanez- never owned one.

Charvel- the Model series rivals even some american made guitars from Gibson, Fender and Jackson.
                          Early San Dimas just try to find one.
                          New Charvels sadly over priced.

ESP- I have owned several from the late 80s and early 90s. Outstanding guitars from that period. Late 90s to now would pay the ransom for one.

Washburn- Other than the Nuno N4s from the early to mid 90s I wouldn't touch them.

Comment

I have tried a few different guitars over the years, and so far this is what I have found.

There is NO better guitar (IMO) for clean tones than my 95 Strat Plus, and it plays like a dream. It's one of my best friends. But for metal, it's nothing but a Jackson. My first one was a RX10D, and I fell in love with it, and I just got a RR5 a couple of weeks ago, and it's amazing.
                            I tried Ibanez, BC Rich, Epiphone, and some low end Fenders. But the only ones I still own are the Jacksons and the Strat.

Comment

Gibson: some quality stuff, personally I don't like the les pauls but that's a personal thing

Ibanez: the higher end guitars are seriously very good. very well build and they sound great.. and affordable (here in the netherlands)

PRS: too expensive, I only played a custom 22 once and it felt good.. good, not great. I hadn't the idea I was playing a guitar that was like 3000 euro

washburn: they never had a model I actually really liked
                              Dean: same thing

Fender: love them, I always had something with strats.. don't know why.. I owned a couple and loved them all.

ESP: don't what to say.. I really like them.. much easier to get at a better price than usa jackson (over here that is).. I could care less if they ripped someone else model.. seriously
                              "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X