Anthrax and Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anthrax and Jackson

Personally, across the board, if I like a band's sound and style, I prefer for them to stay the same. However, if they feel the need for change, I'm not above giving the new stuff a chance. The difference isn't WHETHER it changes, it's whether I LIKE how it's changed.

I'm a huge old-Anthrax fan, play lots of their songs. I loved Joey's voice, I loved their early sound, and I loved the songs and subjects. I've idolized the old Anthrax guitars for years, and I'd have done anything to get an RR like Danny's with the TMNT graphics, or a copy of Scott's Judge Dredd ESP. Along with Metallica in their early years, these were the guys who made me wanna play guitar.

Persistence of Time was a big change in both tone of their guitars and tone of their attitude in the lyrics. But I loved it.

Then, Joey was gone and Bush came in. I was skeptical, because I've never heard much Armored Saint, and really didn't want to see Joey go. But, regardless of the why's, once I got Sound of White Noise, though it was extremely different than anything previous, I loved it, too.

Then came Stomp and Volume 8. UG! The guitar sound became a wash of mostly undefined mud, and the songs...UG!...couldn't stand the music, composition, or lyrics in the slightest. I had pretty much given up on Anthrax for good (as I had Metallica after Load *puke*).

But, I don't know how they did it, but they managed to somehow...get better to me, with WCFYA. Not loved...just...well...I like it better than Stomp and V8. Some of the songs are really catchy and cool...some I think are are just dopey and stupid, but at least I can listen to the album without completely wanting to shut it off hehehe.

The difference, though: After Sound of White Noise, there's nothing on these albums I have even a slight interest in playing on guitar. It's guitar composition designed around "the song" much more than around "kickass riffs", and just doesn't interest me at all. I'd emailed in before WCFYA and complained there was nothing on the previous albums I had wanted to learn, there were no defined, cool riffs, and "Scott Ian" (or whomever replies to their emails with his name) replied that WCFYA would be "riffier". Ehhh...well...it's better...but there's still nothing on there I'd care to want to play hehehe.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by StuTDavis:
      Personally, across the board, if I like a band's sound and style, I prefer for them to stay the same. However, if they feel the need for change, I'm not above giving the new stuff a chance. The difference isn't WHETHER it changes, it's whether I LIKE how it's changed.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree whole-heartedly.
      It was the same for me with Anthrax. Once they sacked Joey, it just wasn't my thing anymore. That doesn't mean I'm going to diss people for liking the new stuff. Just don't diss me for NOT liking it, because I don't.

Now I'm going through the same separation angst with In Flames. I can't blame a band for changing their musical direction after X number of years, but should I lie and say I think the new record is great? Nu-uh, don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by McD - J/C HQ:
        Why do you hope not, it's not YOUR guitar. LOL!!! Anyway, yeah it's the 3-D hologram from the poster - it's a heavy film. It's the same weight as the stuff they used on the Dan Fastuca custom we had at NAMM. Believe me, it came out KILLER!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i don't doubt that they look good, but i think that anyone at a decent skill level can shoot clear coat over a picture. those guitars in the pix certainly aren't on the same level as the bc rich body art series or the fernandes star wars guitars, but from what i understand it's the same process. i mean NO disrespect at all on this, but i just hope that this isn't going to be a new manufacturing/cost cutting/devaluing trend, but instead it was just something that couldn't be accomplished by hand.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It's not a new thing at all, companies have been doing the "finish over a picture" thing for years. And "finish over a piece of cloth" in the case of some hehehe.

My own Hamer FrankenCali was done like that with some HR Giger pictures I edited/made on the computer. Looks great, and it didn't cost me the hundreds and hundreds of having the graphic actually painted onto it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Stu

Comment

i've done the same thing with a couple of my basses cause i couldn't afford to get them airbrushed. didn't know i was ahead of my time(late80's)lol
            The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

It was a one-time, err 2 time, deal. There's only one way to get a 3-D holographic graphic [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Originally posted by jsullysix:
              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by McD - J/C HQ:
              Why do you hope not, it's not YOUR guitar. LOL!!! Anyway, yeah it's the 3-D hologram from the poster - it's a heavy film. It's the same weight as the stuff they used on the Dan Fastuca custom we had at NAMM. Believe me, it came out KILLER!
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i don't doubt that they look good, but i think that anyone at a decent skill level can shoot clear coat over a picture. those guitars in the pix certainly aren't on the same level as the bc rich body art series or the fernandes star wars guitars, but from what i understand it's the same process. i mean NO disrespect at all on this, but i just hope that this isn't going to be a new manufacturing/cost cutting/devaluing trend, but instead it was just something that couldn't be accomplished by hand.

sully
              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
              \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

We're not trying to compete with Fernandes Star Wars or BC Rich Shoddy Fart Series. The objective was to design a guitar that had the same digit code graphic as the movie poster. I would rather have one of the 2 Matrix pieces than anything BC Rich or Fernandez has ever made. Of course, I AM biased. LOL!

Out of curiousity, Did you like the Dan Fastuca 3-D skulls guitar?

Mick Dee

[quote]Originally posted by jsullysix:
                bc rich body art series or the fernandes star wars guitars
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

And I might add that while almost any body shop intern can shoot clear coat, not even DaVinci could paint a holographic image - that's something that simply cannot be done with hand-held paint systems (brush, can, gun, whatever). You HAVE to have it mechanically manufactured to have the 3D/lenticular effect, like on Dan's Skullstar.

I'd welcome this process as a cost-cutting method, personally. Whether the guitar is painted or stickered or upholstered has absolutely no bearing on the sound that comes out of it, and that's the most important thing.

Newc

[ May 10, 2004, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Newc ]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/resour...ex.php?page=15

Take a good look at #4 in the top row - next to the white Tele-thing.

That's a laminate overlay, and a very old one (mid-90s at least), that Jackson put on a guitar.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

It's a bit off-topic here, but since you mentioned it...

I used to think about the same thing--finish type and all didn't really affect the sound that much. But when I was having my custom guitar work done, including refins, the refin guitars always ended up sounding...different, in various ways. One of the guitars went from having its original paint to having a custom graphic and finish. The other one (my FrankenCali) went from its original paint to having the stickers-n-clearcoat sort of thing. Both guitars sound quite different than with their original paint. WORSE, all around, I'm sad to say. And the only thing I can really nail down as the culprit in both cases was the finish change.

Stu

Originally posted by Newc:

I'd welcome this process as a cost-cutting method, personally. Whether the guitar is painted or stickered or upholstered has absolutely no bearing on the sound that comes out of it, and that's the most important thing.

Newc

Comment

Was it stripped to the wood and then repainted, or did they just pile on more paint?
                        How many exrta coats were used? How much thicker was their paint and clearcoat over the factory job?

Newc

Comment

mcd, i didn't get the holographic part of the matrix guitars, but i kinda alluded to it when i said somethin about the graphic not being able to be done by hand. for that effect, i can understand the use of it. and yeah, i've been aware of the photo flames (which is uncool, imo) that i believe someone else mentioned.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by McD - J/C HQ:
                            BC Rich Shoddy Fart Series.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bahahahahahahahaha! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

GMW did all the work.

On my V, I'm not really sure exactly what all they did--if they painted over the original paint or stripped and painted. Never bothered to ask, I just trusted em to do it right.

On the FrankenCali, it was stripped and redone, I know that for sure. And the stickers did have to have very thick finish coats to cover over them, that Lee did tell me.

But, yep...both guitars sound VERY different than they did previously. If I'd have known what I know now about it, I'd have never had anything done to either of them. Ah well...live and learn. But I'll never have another guitar refinished again.

Stu

Originally posted by Newc:
                              Was it stripped to the wood and then repainted, or did they just pile on more paint?
                              How many exrta coats were used? How much thicker was their paint and clearcoat over the factory job?

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by StuTDavis:

It's a bit off-topic here, but since you mentioned it...

I used to think about the same thing--finish type and all didn't really affect the sound that much. But when I was having my custom guitar work done, including refins, the refin guitars always ended up sounding...different, in various ways. One of the guitars went from having its original paint to having a custom graphic and finish. The other one (my FrankenCali) went from its original paint to having the stickers-n-clearcoat sort of thing. Both guitars sound quite different than with their original paint. WORSE, all around, I'm sad to say. And the only thing I can really nail down as the culprit in both cases was the finish change.

Stu
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I read an interview with Adam Jones a couple years back where I believe he stated that he had two silverburst Les Paul Customs and decided to strip the paint off of one to refinish the guitar. He said that it never sounded the same again and the change was for the worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X