Originality......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originality......

Can anbody even come close to being as innovative as Randy was. I was looking at a picture of him with his guitars, and I found myself asking this question. Who else has designed and had built so many totally original guitars? He had the Sandoval, which had a unique and original headstock and finish. Then the white Jackson. Then the black Jackson. I can't think of anybody else that has 3 totally original creations. And to top it off, this was done within a 3-1/2 year period.
    1990 Jackson Professional
    1992 Dean ML
    2004 Epiphone Flying V
    2005 Epiphone Dot
    2009 Fender Stratocaster
    2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
    2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
    2006 Fender P Bass
    2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
    1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
    1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
    Custom Pedalboard
    ADA MP1
    ADA FX2
    Tascam 2488

Re: Originality......

The log was interesting. The question really is about innovation and originality by a artist more so than a manufacturer. My point being that Randy really had a unique vision of design and ambition to make them reality. I was just commenting on points like these. Les Paul was the Randy Rhoads of his time. Very brilliant man with an endorsement.
    1990 Jackson Professional
    1992 Dean ML
    2004 Epiphone Flying V
    2005 Epiphone Dot
    2009 Fender Stratocaster
    2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
    2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
    2006 Fender P Bass
    2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
    1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
    1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
    Custom Pedalboard
    ADA MP1
    ADA FX2
    Tascam 2488

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
      Um...Les Paul pretty well invented the solid body electric guitar.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uhhh....I thought Rickenbacker was first with the "frying pan"?

Comment

i'm as sure as i can be that les paul designed that guitar... he was not only a killer player, but quite an inventor as well. i know there's more informed people than i on this topic, but i believe that les was way more than an endorser.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yes sully, I have a book that agrees with you.

Comment

the frying pan was a lap steel [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ...paul stanley had a v that had a shorter horn made for him on the "hotter than hell" tour, "the log" was made form a 2 x 4, a neck, and les later attached the sides of a semi hollow body guitar to make it look "more appealing" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I thought I also heard something that Les Paul originally wanted his guitars made of all maple, but then realized they'd be heavy as hell and went with a mahogany body to lighten the load, just put a maple top on it. Can you imagine how much heavier LPs would be if they were all maple?!? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                I thought I also heard something that Les Paul originally wanted his guitars made of all maple, but then realized they'd be heavy as hell and went with a mahogany body to lighten the load, just put a maple top on it. Can you imagine how much heavier LPs would be if they were all maple?!? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is true. Leo Fender was more akin to Henry Ford than Thomas Edison however. Leo Fender didn't necisarily invent the electric guitar, in fact the Stratocaster was designed primarily by Freddie Tavares(the same guy who plays the steel guitar swoop that begins all Warner Bros cartoons), what Leo did was make electric guitars practical and therefore popular among musicians. FMIC to this day continues to put out quality instruments that are within reach of just about anyone's budget. Their signature guitar, the USA Strat, sells for roughly HALF what you would pay for Gibson's signature guitar, the Les Paul.

Comment

This may be a little off topic, but it fits...

The reason Les Pauls have an arched top: At the time, Fender didnt have the tools to so so on a large scale.

Pure oneupmanship...

Jamesy

Comment

How about Steve Vai? He Co-invented the Jem 7-string, bad horsie pedal, his dimarzio pup, and maybe some more.

Comment

J.Frog [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I have to agree. I think Randy was one of a kind. I have never heard or seen anyone that even comes close.

Don

Comment

In terms of being instrument designers, I can't think of many musicians who have had that type of influence--the one that comes to mind is Les Paul. He was almost singlehandedly responsible for the invention of the solidbody electric and multi-track recording.

In terms of non-guitarist designers, I would think the folks at Fender would have some claim on the prize--the Broadcaster (Telecaster), Strat, and P-Bass were all created within a period of about five years or so. Talk about changing modern music...

Comment

amir designed the disruptor and the roswellian star. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What about Ted McCarty of Gibson? He had a ton of new, and radical guitar designs like the Flying V, Explorer, and Firebird (and the Moderne, I guess), not to mention the Les Paul. With all due respect to Randy (and Karl and Grover), their designs are much more than pointy version of what McCarty and Gibson did 20 years earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X