why am I always disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why am I always disappointed

This kind of came up in one of the other threads, but it bothers me quite a bit. I was practicing this morning (my 750xl) and I decided to go to a guitar store to browse. I went to a store I hadn't been to yet and when I walked in I was pleasently surprised to see a lot of high end stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I ended up playing an RR1T and a WR1. Now granted, they weren't set up the way I like them and I was playing through a shitty Marshall combo amp, but I just wasn't impresed. Don't get me wrong, they both felt and sounded good. But I was once again disappointed that neither one was as good (comfortable, easily played, tone quality, etc) as my old Charvels, 650xl or 750xl. It was kind of a let down, especially for the Rhoads since I've wanted one of those since I was 16 (26 now). [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I guess in the end, I'll save money by buying some more 750xls and perhaps another 650xl if the mood hits. But in the end, I was really let down. I guess I was expecting something magical. It goes to show just how good those old import Charvels really are. I mean to be disappointed that the USA Jacksons just didn't seem any better.

By the way, I think I've come to terms that I just don't like ebony. Rosewood for me. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Re: why am I always disappointed

I agree, many guitars at stores are not setup fine it is because everyday, people play these and strings get old,oils from hands,necks move,collecting dust and so on.

I hated Ebony.I thought I could only play Mapleboard.
    After trying couple of nice ones,I endded up liking the Ebony again.
    I didn't like the ebony that was used on Import Jackson.
    It felt like a plastic or something.. and some Ebony that were used on ESP really made me to hate them one time.

Comment

Well, they cleaned and polished the guitars when I was done before hanging them back up. It was nice to see them take such good care of the quality instruments. Not like Guitar Center.

Comment

Aren't you comparing apples to oranges?? You're pitting a RR1T and a WR1 against a couple of 89-91 Charvels. It doesn't seem to be an even comparison in my mind.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

What store?

Pat

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Aren't you comparing apples to oranges?? You're pitting a RR1T and a WR1 against a couple of 89-91 Charvels. It doesn't seem to be an even comparison in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain a little? Sure the shapes and some of the body woods are a little different, but what else did you have in mind.

Comment

Are you sure you're not just used to your old Charvels?? Jacksons are ridiculously playable and comfortable, almost an industry standard I'd be tempted to say, give or take. Even people who hate them will admit that much.

Comment

I AM very much used to my old Charvels. But are the necks really that different? I mean that in terms of playability, not profile. For example, every US Hamer I've played has felt comfortable right away. I've had four all with different neck profiles and all of the ones I've played in stores were different. Yet, each and every one feels comofortable to play right off the rack. I guess I expected the same thing when going from my Charvels to the Jacksons. The Jacksons were not difficult to play by any means (like Strats are for me for some reason, I've fought with every single one I've tried). They just didn't floor me the way I thought they would.

Comment

The difference is the neck profile. The new ones don't compare to the older Charvel's and Jackson's. That's my biggest gripe as far as the new stuff goes. Couldn't even get the profile like my old Jackson's by buying a custom and asking for a thin neck that was like the older ones.
                  We must!
                  We must!
                  We must increase the bust!
                  The bigger the better!
                  The tighter the sweater!
                  The boys are counting on us!

Comment

This post is a testament to how important a good set up is.
                    I have been shredding for almost 30 years and I still RARELY can pick a guitar off the rack and be impressed by it unless it is set up by me... for me. It does happen, but not too often. The guitars you picked up are fantastic instruments and if they were set up for your playing style you would love them. With that said.. I will now go back to playing my el-cheapo 275DLX that plays so good it feels like an extension of my hands.

Comment

I think those old import Charvels are very good, though, and in many ways in par with several of the US models.

Other than the unfinished neck, my custom shop Jackson from '89 was only marginally different in feel from the Model 2 and Model 3 I had been playing before.

Comment

Well I've never heard of anyone who was disappointed with the way a Jackson plays. Other things yes but not that. Also your Charvels may be comparable in quality. The Japanese (yes? - or are those US?) instruments were made really well, no doubt about it. Some people don't like the tone of Jacksons because of the end to end maple centre block, and some people don't like shredder type necks etc. Some of the new Schecter guitars made in Korea play and sound amazing, for not a lot of cash, so US made and expensive isn't always a requirement.

Actually, while not personalized of course, Jackson factory set ups have always been really good.

Comment

The biggest thing about the way I set up a guitar is that I use 11s and tune down a half step for 25.5" and tune to standard for 24.75". I also have the action a little higher than the standard shredding low action. I do also like a little bit of relief in the neck. All of these things make a huge difference so I'm sure this has the biggest effect on the way I feel towards the two guitars I tried. Perhaps I made too quick of a judgement without stopping and thinking of all the factors that go into the "feel" of a guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain a little? Sure the shapes and some of the body woods are a little different, but what else did you have in mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Well, for me personally, I can't really play anything besides a Dinky or Strat shape and with that, there are some very different feeling necks. My Fusion has a way different feel than my Model 2 and they both have a different feel than my Dinky Reverses. (all 4 of them)

When I tried to play something other than a strat shape, like the PS-6T Kelly I had, I just couldn't get into it. The body shape made the guitar sit differently thus making me have to play outside of my "comfort zone".

You may be experiencing the same. You've heard the phrase, "My eyes were bigger than my stomach" well, maybe this is a case of your eyes being bigger than your hands...
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

I do have small hands. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X