Custom Jackson or Custom GMW?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Jackson or Custom GMW?

I have a Jackson PC1 which has awsome tone and playability.
    There are a few features I would change to get my "dream guitar" - shaved bottom horn for easier access to 24th fret and different headstock.
    Also looking at Lacewood as opposed to Mahagony/Maple Top.

I have researched GMW and hear nothing but good about them.
    I called Jackson to see if I could get my current PC1 modified and they referred me to GMW for the job since Jackson does not do modifications.
    GMW is also much cheaper but cost is not my main concern - tone and playability are my objectives.
    Also, anyone have experience with Lacewood guitars?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Re: Custom Jackson or Custom GMW?

I had a lacewood Winger bass - solid lacewood front to back, not a laminate. Beautiful to see and hear and play.
    I'd get a guitar made of lacewood if I was going that way, but if it was going to have a maple cap, I'd just get alder or something else with no real figuring for the body itself, or maybe mahogany.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Lee(the owner of GMW) is great.
      try to find GMW threads and there are tons of information here.
      Most of my guitars are set up by Lee and I just placed another order with him couple days ago.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Lee's stuff is great - I guess the main considerations are 'logo snobbery' and resale values. I'm not concerned about either as I love my GMWs (if I'm honest, more than most of my USA /Custom Jacksons) and I rarely get rid of stuff.
        It seems like the waiting times for something custom are now pretty similar between both GMW and Jackson, but the price difference is worth saving if you're not concerned with what it says on the end of the neck!
        Cheers
        Ian
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I don't care about logos or who builds a guitar.
          Tone, playability, resonance and articulation - thats all that matters to me.

Jackson just seems to build the best shred guitars that I have ever played but everyone raves about GMW and they do custom work for Jackson so I figure they must be very good.

I would rather go for GMW if they are at least as good as a Jackson because why not save the money.
          If GMW can build a guitar as good as my PC1 with the modifications I am looking for then I will gladly buy from them. Hope their necks are as good as the one on my PC1 which is basically a 24 fret version of a Charvel neck.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I guess neck profiles are a very personal thing, but I think the necks on my GMWs are superb. They're apparently based on the SD profile (never played one so don't know) but they are extremely comfortable for me. The only guitar I have which feels as nice is my Musicman Axis.....
            Cheers
            IAn
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

my GMW is really awesome. so are my Jacksons. I say you can't go wrong either way in terms of getting a quality instrument. one thing that was very pleasing to me was being able to talk to Lee directly - no way are you going to have the same level of interaction with the folks at Jackson.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
              X