Question On The Jackson Sustainer System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question On The Jackson Sustainer System

Just something I've been wondering for awhile, but what are the pro's and cons about this system, other than infinate sustain? Does it alter tone or sound synthetic and fake as it sustains or is it actually very good? Figured someone here would know, especially you guys with the PC1. Thanks

- Irfaan -

Re: Question On The Jackson Sustainer System

The cool thing about it is, that it works on all of the pickup selections, not just the neck pickup position. And, the effect is totally awesome and works very good. I would say it actually improves your tone, shooting it to the front of a mix kind of like the turbo booster system. The only con is that it uses two 9v batteries.

Brian

Comment

Damn that was quick. Thanks a lot dude [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a different opinion, because I have changed the pickup heights maybe, but if you turn the sustainer on and don't use it for harmonics or sustains, you hear A LOT of fret noise moving around the neck. It's a great system, Jackson did a crappy job wiring one of mine, I had to resolder 3 of the 4 connections in the battery box. Anyways, that being said, it will give you a new type o technique with a lot of cool sounds to make.

I also don't know how you would get a hold of one, maybe contact Jackson. I have spoken with Allan (or Alan, this is last name I think) about the system. Its very confusing, I believe a guy he worked with worked for Floyd Rose, and broke away from them to make them....yada yada yada. Point being, I think it would be easier to buy the Sustainiac Stealth Plus. Phil used it for the X album, so it must be good! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Do they actually sound like a regular single coil? If so, I'd love to try one in an H/S/H pickup config with the middle pickup being the sustainer. That'd seem pretty interesting to me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I just got my first PC-1 a week or two ago and it was my first use of the sustainer system. I play Soloists almost all of the time. When I started using the sustainer in the pc-1, I loved it. It does pick up more hand movements as you slide around but the effect it has on how you can make notes sing and break to the front of the mix is incredible. It's similar to using a really high-end, high gain amp and working the feedback. You can get the same effects with any guitar with good pickups...it's just easy as hell with the sustainer.

Comment

You need to keep the sustainer in the neck position

Comment

AS pointed out on another thread, it is great used with a clean sound as well, giving a somewhat violinlike swell and sustain. Really cool.

One thing to clarify though; the Sustainer pickup works as a regular pickup when the Sustainer is not in use, but when the Sustainer IS in use, only the BRIDGE pickup is on, no matter where the 5-way switch is.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

How woulkd i obtain such a circut for my BC Rich?

Comment

My soundman noticed a change in tone w/ my PC1 when sustianer was on during a normal song/chords and what not. I think that he was high 'cause I didn't hear any changes.

The system is cool, sometimes I wish the attack rate was a little quicker. It's great for me 'cause I don't need to stay close to my amp when I need to get that harmonic octave out of my guitar. The normal sustainer setting is great for chording, and using a swelling effect with your volume knob. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

can it be used with emg's?
                      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yes it can be used with EMGs. There was one on DaBay recently with an EMG in the bridge. BTW, when the sustainer is on, it uses the bridge for the sustaining, but if your pickup selector is on a different pickup, there is more fret noise and does not sound the same as when it is on bridge.

Comment

I believe Zakk Wylde actually has some kind of sustainer in one of his guitars with EMGs.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

looks like i know what i'll be looking for soon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Originally posted by RockBrigadePC1:
                              You need to keep the sustainer in the neck position
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard the argument that it may be placed in any pickup position. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Can anybody confirm, perhaps by swapping the middle and neck pickups on a PC1? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmm, why does it only work with the bridge pickup? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X