comparing quality of OFR and JT580 - never owned an OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing quality of OFR and JT580 - never owned an OFR

I realize the subject was touched on in another thread recently, but I was actually trying to get opinions on how much of an improvement the OFR would be for my new DK2 (2 months old).

The JT580 seems to work okay, until I dive bomb (actually using the product, heh heh). After that, it takes a while for the strings to return to tune, half an hour or so. It seems to be 1-3 of my strings which go out at one time. I wonder about this whole tremolo thing sometimes...does it have anything to do with being Japanese made or bolt-on or anything? Or do you simply get what you pay for?

I also wonder if the locking nut is different for OFR and JT580. I had to replace all 3 string clamp screws because they broke off in the nut with little or no effort, like brittle.

Thoughts on these 'thoughts' are welcome.

Wes

P.S. I use Firewire strings, supposedly very good on Jacksons

Re: comparing quality of OFR and JT580 - never owned an OFR

My experience with the JT580LP trem has been on the DR2 and RR2 USA models. I've never had any problem with either guitar returning to tune. Both are mid-`90s models, but the trem looks the same as found on the current imports. I also have a couple of old Pro models with the JT590 trem, which seems pretty reliable to me. My Hamers have Schaller Floyds, and my KV2 has an OFR. I honestly haven't had trouble with any Floyd, original or licensed, except for the REALLY cheap single-locking versions.

If you use the whammy extensively, the Schaller or OFR will hold up longer over time, simply because they are built with higher quality metal than the import versions. Having said that, I've had to replace a Schaller due to stripped screw holes, which could potentially happen on any trem.
    sigpic

Comment

While the design of the JT580LP has not changed much, the material is the key element - current units use a lesser-grade material for the knife edges than the older models.

The OFR is made of the same high-grade material it was back in the 80s (or better).

The logical conclusion, therefore, is that the OFR is the better unit.

I've said it a thousand times: Jackson skimps on the hardware and electronics and puts the majority of the manufacturing cost into the wood, frets, and actual building of their imports (how well the neck fits the pocket, the quality of the wood, etc etc), because hardware is easily replaceable by the customer. You cannot buy a replacement neck or body or have the frets replaced as cheaply as you can buy new pickups and hardware, so to even question the use of the lower-grade hardware (as many have done) is in fact stupid.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well said, Newc! If you get a MIJ Jackson replace the pups and hardware and you got one helluva guitar!

Comment

If you have the cash, I definitely suggest replacing the JT580 with an OFR. I've never had tuning problems with the ones I've had, but they very uncomfortable as the saddles stick up, forcing you to lighten your touch when muting so you don't push the strings sharp. I don't understand how the call those trems "low profile" because to me, the are "hi profile" if anything! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I've had some success setting up the bridge so it leaned back a bit, but it still wasn't enough. Also it feels cheap, and the bar will eventually work it self loose and make knocking noises as it swings back and forth in the mount... very annoying! How about the fine tuners? They are fine when you can turn them easily, which isn't often. It's a shame Jackson skimps in this department because it ruins otherwise great guitars.

Floyds on the other hand are well built, small, and very reliable, plus they will fit on any guitar routed for a JT580, the only downfall being that the route on the low E side is a little big leaving an 1/8th inch gap.

I was gonna sell my Model A before I replaced the JT580. Now it rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell:
            If you have the cash, I definitely suggest replacing the JT580 with an OFR. ......It's a shame Jackson skimps in this department because it ruins otherwise great guitars.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[Deja Vu]
            Jackson skimps on the hardware and electronics and puts the majority of the manufacturing cost into the wood, frets, and actual building of their imports (how well the neck fits the pocket, the quality of the wood, etc etc), because hardware is easily replaceable by the customer. You cannot buy a replacement neck or body or have the frets replaced as cheaply as you can buy new pickups and hardware.
            [/Deja Vu]

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Wow, it's like you just said that, then said it again! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If it's your only guitar or one of a few. change the bridge to the OFR. If you have a bunch of guitars and switch up frequently it'd probably last awhile if you were careful with it. I haven't had trouble adjusting my picking style, nor have I broken any hardware yet, or had the trem fail to return to zero. I'm very careful with my guitars though, and clean them after every use, and I oil the pivots a couple times a year just to keep the moving parts clean. But then I'm switching between more than a dozen that are regularly played, so it spreads the wear and tear out.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Well, both my electrics have Licensed Floyds.

I;ve noticed, BC RICH floyds are WAY BETTER built.

or atleast the floyds BCR use.

Mine, although it has rusting is perfect and does everything perfectly, bar fits perfectly ETC.

My jackson Lo-Pro is a good bridge but i hate that the bar always works loose.

Comment

Go to the store and buy a roll of teflon tape for a dollar. They even have it in the supermarket in the hardware and plumbing aisle. Wrap a couple of wraps of tape around the threads on the bridge
                  and it'll snug up the threads so the bar doesn't loosen.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X