NYC guitar stores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NYC guitar stores?

talking about 30th street guitars in NYC, I went there couple days ago, and wanted the guys in the store to help me modify my electric guitar. Just wanted to know if the prices are decent in 30th street guitars? Or is there better place to do it? How much do they charge for a setup, etc...??
    should've asked them while i was there.. doh... [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

All I need is to change my pickups, change the tremolo, full setup and possibly install a hipshot tremsetter.

Comment

Also, if you are up in Westchester at all go and check out Ossining Music Center. Matt and I used to work there together back in the day. Bob Galassi is the owner and a SUPER-COOL guy. He has some of the best vintage peices in the US. Oh, and he likes hot rods and Harleys too. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by diospada:
        talking about 30th street guitars in NYC, I went there couple days ago, and wanted the guys in the store to help me modify my electric guitar. Just wanted to know if the prices are decent in 30th street guitars? Or is there better place to do it? How much do they charge for a setup, etc...??
        should've asked them while i was there.. doh... [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

All I need is to change my pickups, change the tremolo, full setup and possibly install a hipshot tremsetter.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you are in the NYC area, I have a better guy for you. Matt used to do my work, but I have since found a guy that has a shop, but will actually come to your house/apt and has immediate turnover. His work is excellent, he is very nice and professional and his prices are very cheap. It cost me less to have him come to my apt and have my guitar done immediately then if I would have brought it to Matt and left it there a week...a lot less. His name is Evan Gluck, his email is evan gluck [[email protected]] and his website is http://www.NewYorkGuitarRepair.com He setup and resoldered my Hamer and the setup was phenomenal. Way better than anything Matt ever did for me. The thing that ended it for me with Matt is that he would tell me it would take a week and say the guitar will be ready on Friday. When I would call on Friday (after the week had passed) he would tell me that he hadn't started on it. I used him for years. That shit is not something I am willing to deal with. Evan will come to you, bring all the tools he needs and make sure the setup suits you. He won't leave until it does. He is a perfectionist.

Comment

hmm.. this seems like a very good option for me..although I really want to try the guys at 30th street guitars for once and see how it goes... decisions, decisions...

Comment

Why? I am telling you that I have used them for years. Matt knows me and that is how I am treated. He is certainly capable though. I just would rather have better service, higher quality AND lower price. I mean once Matt set up my Les Paul Custom. He had it for over a week and when I got it back it looked like shit. He didn't even polish it. For what they charge that is a sin...it actually looked worse than when I gave it to him. Evan will make your guitar as good as it can possibly be. He takes pride in his work. I also brought Matt a parts Mutt to rewire. He sat on that as well, but what pissed me off was he kept refusing to use the switch I gave him (because he didn't know how to wire it) and wanted to charge me $25 for a new 5way. I like Matt, but he is never getting any guitar work from me as long as Evan is willing.

By the way, the last time I went before I found Evan, Matt charged me $75 a piece to set up two strats. One had new pups being installed and the other needed a pot replaced. All parts were provided by me. He intially wanted $100 a piece and then I laughed at him. I only paid the $150 because I had no alternative. He told me a week and then didn't start it until I called to pick them up. I forget to add that there was a third guitar included, but he didn't charge for that (he had to fix something from the last time he worked on it.) Now for me, I live in the city and need to take a cab to 30th (unless I want to take the subway) and that adds about $30 roundtrip to drop it off and $30 roundtrip to pick it up. Evan charges a fraction of that to come to you.

[ April 10, 2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: BigDaddyD ]

Comment

hmm, I guess I'll contact the guy at new york guitar repair, although I live in Queens, hope he is willing to come to queens or set up some other place where he can mod my guitar..

[ April 10, 2004, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: diospada ]

Comment

I think he does queens and perhaps even parts of NJ.

Comment

posted by BigDaddyD
                  DO NOT GO TO NY GUITAR and BASS Boutique. Dude is a rip off artist.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, hadn't heard anything to that effect; I'll keep it in mind.

BigDaddyD- just this past week I had work done by Evan for the first time, a Takamine a/e. He did a really good job, and if I wanted, he would've got it back to me the next day. Price was reasonable. He also took a look at my Jackson. He seems really personable and conscientious. (sp.?)

Comment

Yeah, Evan is pretty cool. He typical turn around if you drop off is same or next day, unless you don't need it. I prefer when he comes to me because then mine is all he focuses on, plus I can watch and learn. He is very cool about that and will show you how to do stuff. I already do most of my setup work but I call Evan when I am lazy, don't have the time or don't feel completely confident in what I need to do. I already picked up some great tips from him.

NY Guitar and Bass Boutique is a joke Jimmy is ok but I am done with him. I told him about this board awhile ago because he is a fan of old Charvels and has some great ones. He has some great boutique guitars but his prices are insane. Last time I was there he had an old Kramer pacer for $750...the same kind that sell for $250 on Ebay. He wanted to charge my buddy $25 for a pack of steinberger strings, and $125 to rewire his guitar. Fuck him.

Comment

Darin, Sorry you had a bad time with Matt at 30th Street. I agree they do get extremely busy and fall behind at times but his work has always been great. Instead of cutting him down you should bring it up with him and ask him to make it right. Matt is good people and I am sure he would. My 2c. Peace.

Comment

I have known Matt for almost 10 years. I think I am entitiled to my opinion. Keep in mind that Matt treats me pretty well, and this is how I am still treated. If you read one of my posts above I say that he is quite capable. I am basing my opinion on years worth of work. I kept bringing my stuff back to Matt because I like him and because he was the best to choose from. He isn't any longer. He is more expensive, takes longer and takes less pride in his work. If that is what you are looking for, then enjoy. Evan worked on my Hamer MONTHS Ago. It still plays so well that I have put off changing the tuner to the Grover locking tuners that I already have because I like the way it plays. He is much better in my opinion. I still always go to Matt first if I am looking to buy, but lately I haven't seen anything worth the asking price there. He has a Rivera M60 in horrible condition that has been sitting there for a while. I inquired about the price and they are asking $750. I mean, they go for about $200 less than that in mint shape. Matt is one of the best in NYC, but NYC sucks in general for gear. I expect great service up front. I shouldn't have to complain. Besides, I let Matt know when I am dissappointed. He is still a great guy, but he probably won't get my minor setup work anymore. unless Evan is busy or raises his rates or something.

[ April 11, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: BigDaddyD ]

Comment

yeah NYC for gear kinda sux, overpriced. they will rip you off if they think they can or think you dont know. for the most part they all have the same shit as anywhere else. except you do see more high end vintage stuff, but you will pay for it.
                          & yes guitar asylum is at least an hour from the city.

Comment

the more you guys say, the more i believe that nyc sucks for gear, i can never find the right stuff i want. I guess online is the way to go...

Comment

You've got that right. The only thing I usually get from the stores here is dissappointed. My collection has grown many times over in the last few years and the majority of it has come from the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X