Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA, Import Jacksons, USA, Import Charvels ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA, Import Jacksons, USA, Import Charvels ?

Just looked at the new(?)Charvel model A plus. Looks pretty good. I recently bought a new American Tele HS, but I'm not really happy with it. I think I'm gonna get rid of it an buy a Jackson or Charvel. I own a Charvel Mod 6 and I really like the way it sounds and feels. But as for my knowledge of USA Jackson's, Import Jackson', USA Charvel's, Import Charvels, I'm limited. Is there a list of these items, whats high end, low end, price differences, or any suggestions of a model that has great sustain and playability. Like I said, I really like the neck and the sound of the Mod 6. I should be able to get rid of the Tele close to what I bought it for, so a Jackson/Charvel around the 700.00 to 1000.00 range is what I'd be scouting out.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Re: USA, Import Jacksons, USA, Import Charvels ?

You can find used Jackson USA Soloists on Ebay between that price range! It's probably the closest thing in the current line to your Model 6: Neckthrough, deep double cutaway, Floyd Rose. You will get an ebony board with a Soloist though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Well the Charvel model A is an import and it was just discontinued this past year. Chavel has since gone back to US manufacture. Search around the forum topics and you'll find all the information on the Charvel models. There was a really good thread on the import models, price, value, etc. Do a search for that in the import Charvel section. As far as the US Charvels, be prepared to pay over a grand for a new one or a legitimate San Dimas from the 80's.

With Jackson, you've got some more choices. The early 90's Professional series which are Japanese imports but are right on line with US quality of the time. These are great bang for the buck guitars well within your price range. You could also get a used US model from the early to mid 90's in the range you're talking about if not a little lower depending on the deal you get.

Your model 6 is a great guitar. I've got a 650xl which is the model 6 with a few updates. They are among the greatest guitars in the world if you ask me and the quality is top notch. Sorry but I don't have any experience with the model A. But a few people here have them so perhaps they'll chime in.

Don't be shy, ask questions. More than likely you'll ask something that has been asked before and Ron (RacerX) will chime in with his "use the search function" bit. Personally I hate the search function and I would rather ask questions. That's what the forum is all about. Good luck.

Comment

I wouldn't mind going after a used guitar after I get rid of the Tele. Is the USA Jackson soloist considered top line or one of the most prefered Jackson/Charvels? You mentioned it has a ebony fingerboard. In comparing it to the mod 6's fingerboard, is the ebony for sustain?

Comment

Thank Travis, I'll look around and get some opinions here on the different types of models.

Comment

Any USA Jackson is fine by me, although the Soloist shape is popular, obviously. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ebony, to me, is looks first, tone second. Supposedly it's brighter-sounding than your rosewood board on your Model 6, but others cannot tell the difference. I personally can't. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Sustain is also nothing when you're buying a quality guitar. Don't open THAT can of worms! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

The main differences between a USA Soloist and your model 6 (assuming neither are modified) will be:

model 6 - rosewood fretboard, JT6 bridge, 3 on/off toggles for pickups with active mid boost circuit tone control

Soloist - ebony fretboard, Kahler, Schaller or original Floyd depending on the year

Also I've been told that the model 6s were made of poplar while the Soloists could be poplar or alder (more than likely alder)

Comment

Alder and Poplar are, however, tonally similar, so either one is just as good as the other.

Ebony fretboards have a tone and density similar to maple fretboards, only the wood is darker, and it's more expensive, hence most people around here will recommend something with an ebony board based primarily on those two factors (same with neckthrough - neckthrough is more costly than bolt-on construction, hence more people will recommend it).

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X