Neckplates... I don't get it. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neckplates... I don't get it. :(

Obviously there's some mystique for old Jackson/Charvel neckplates, but I'm finding myself asking why. They end up going on parts mutts, right? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] So does that not devalue the neckplates or something? What is the point of having a valuable neckplate that's not on the original guitar? I'm guessing it's one of those, "Either you get it or you don't" kind of deals. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Please, PLEASE do not chastise me. Please, no debates or name-calling either. I'm merely curious as to why they seem quite popular.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Neckplates... I don\'t get it.

One thing I could think of is if you are Ed Roman you can pass it off as the original and make lots of $$$

Comment

A lot of people who own real guitars sold off neckplates at one time, so some owners wish to put an authentic one back in place.

There are also examples here where original plates have been found and mated with the guitars, though that's more rare.

Some people build up parts mutts to the specs of plates and try to pass them off as real.

I'm looking for a neckplate for my Jackson Strathead woodburn logo neck, cause I want to build up a Jackson, even though it's gonna be a parts mutt, I want a correct era neckplate.

Various reasons I guess.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

To many purists, be it Jackson, Charvel, or other bolt-on guitars, having an original neck-body-neckplate represents three vital elements along with era-correct components such as hardware and electronics. Accurate restorations generally require these three pieces at least. To me a restored guitar is different than a mutt.

I have a few Charvels that I have restored using original parts. Having a blank neckplate on an otherwise era-correct guitar with authentic vintage parts just won't do.

That is my perspective, anyway.

Loose plates are not always used for making fakes as some would have you believe.
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Parts is parts, whether they're period-correct/NOS or not.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A neckplate won't make your guitar play better. I understand wanting the original neckplate for a particular guitar, but as far as I'm concerned, if it is not the neckplate for that particular guitar, then you might as well have a blank neckplate. It's like numbers matching cars. If you've got a 67 Stingray with the original engine, that's cool, but if you don't have the original numbers matching engine, you might as well stick a built crate engine in there.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
            X