RR1 vs. RR5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR1 vs. RR5

I received price quotes from Easton on both an RR1 and an RR5. The RR5 is half the price of the RR1. I assume that this can be attributed to the RR5 being Japanese made, different tremolo and pups, ebony board, etc. As much as think I would like an RR1, the RR5 is really tempting at that price. Having never played either guitar, can anyone shed some light on the build quality and sound differences between the two and what their own preference is?

Re: RR1 vs. RR5

Originally posted by 86mod5:
    I assume that this can be attributed to the RR5 being Japanese made, different tremolo and pups, ebony board, etc.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wait up! The RR5 has a non-bound rosewood fretboard. The pups are real Seymour Duncan JBs. The RR5 also doesn't have a trem, it has the JT390 string through bridge.

[ April 14, 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: RacerX ]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The RR5 is a nice guitar, make no mistake and it has a great sound as it comes with good Seymour pickus. It differs a bit as yes it's only a string-thru, so if a Floyd is important then it's no good for you. There is also the RR1T, the USA RR1 without a trem.

The RR5 has no binding on a rosewood board and the inlays aren't quite as nice. The frets themselves aren't the same as a RR1 when I checked one out, I think they use a different wire in Japan these days for their jumbo frets.

Half price is a big difference though, is that with case?

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:

Wait up! The RR5 has a non-bound rosewood fretboard. The pups are real Seymour Duncans.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I meant that the RR1 had the ebony board. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Genebaby:

Half price is a big difference though, is that with case?
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The RR1 includes the case. The RR5 doesn't.

Comment

Yeah, the US guitars come with case as standard, don't let anyone tell you different, and I was wondering if the quote was for guitar and case, but it's not. It's up to you now. The RR1 and RR1T are the nicer guitars and you can get them in many more finishes than the RR5, but the RR5 is a very nice guitar too. Just factor in a case for it when deciding.

Comment

Yeah, I just have to decide if the the extra features and better build quality (I'm assuming)on the RR1 are worth the extra money. Soundwise, I have nothing to compare the guiatrs to.

[ April 15, 2004, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]

Comment

Remember, don't quote any prices. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have been having the same battle with myself. I really want a "high end" RR model (I have a RX10D), so I thought I wanted a RR5. Awesome look, I want the string through...but then I thought better of it. If I am going to spend ALOT of money..it's going to be for a USA model (RR1T). But that's just me...so I am saving and scraping...and waiting for the day [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I had thought the RR1T was discontinued because last I checked it wasn't on the USA Select pulldown menu at jacksonguitars.com, but now that I just checked it is part of the RR-1 entry...
                    However, the KV2 and KV2T are listed as separate items on the USA Select menu... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                    Makes no sense to me [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

However, the KV2 and KV2T are listed as separate items on the USA Select menu...
                      Makes no sense to me
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If I am not mistaken, the KV2T is a regular production model. The RR1T is limited to either 50 or 100 pieces a year. I forget how many, but I remember reading that in a Jackson catalog from a year or so ago.
                      Scott
                      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:

Remember, don't quote any prices.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

I guess what I'm really asking is how's the build quality of the RR5 compared to the RR1T? Are they miles apart or close? I could always swap the pups on the RR5 if I don't like the sound. I also like the separate volume controls for the pups compared to the single RR1T volume control. Sorry for being a pain in the ass, but I'm having alot of trouble deciding between the two.

Comment

here's something to keep in mind...

when i had my jcf 01 rhoads, it had some quality issues with it. jeremy (sandman0170) and i were at a gc one day and they had an rr5 there. i joked about the possibility of it being made better than my jcf guitar, so we picked it up and looked it over very carefully. i can say that some of the issues that we had with the jcf guitar (finish issues, holes not lining up with V plate string holes) were nonexistant on the rr5. yes, you give up the ebony and binding, but it's a pretty damn nice guitar, and i think it would have a semi decent resale later.

sully
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

It depends on what you really want. The RR5 is a nice guitar. I personally don't like rosewood boards on a RR or any other Jackson for that matter. To me, the gold hardware looks el cheapo on the RR5.Rosewood is fine for my Gibson Explorers and V and SG, but my Jacksons are a notch above and deserve the classy look of ebony. I also DO like Binding and real sharky inlays that the USA and 90's imports came with. The pickups on the RR5 are USA Duncans, so it will sound fine. It will take all of 5 minutes to change the 1 volume 2 tone setup on an RR1T to 2 volume 1 tone. The decision is yours, but my opinion is go for the USA!!!!
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the good information. I'm going to continue my futile search to see if I could actually find a store that has one or both of these guitars. It would make it alot easier to decide between the two.

Comment

Working...
                              X