Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RR1 vs. RR5

Originally posted by 86mod5:
    I could always swap the pups on the RR5 if I don't like the sound.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Dude, you are not paying attention! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    I said in the 2nd post in this thread that the RR5 comes with real Seymour Duncan JBs. The RR1 has the exact same pup in the bridge - Seymour Duncan JB. (The neck pup in the RR1 is the SD Jazz). Stop talking about swapping pups. Take this into account when making your decision. Both guitars are alder bodies w/ maple necks and the same bridge pup....so they are going to sound VERY similar. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, I've always had an attention problem. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I should've researched the guitars a little more before starting this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
        here's something to keep in mind...

when i had my jcf 01 rhoads, it had some quality issues with it. jeremy (sandman0170) and i were at a gc one day and they had an rr5 there. i joked about the possibility of it being made better than my jcf guitar, so we picked it up and looked it over very carefully. i can say that some of the issues that we had with the jcf guitar (finish issues, holes not lining up with V plate string holes) were nonexistant on the rr5. yes, you give up the ebony and binding, but it's a pretty damn nice guitar, and i think it would have a semi decent resale later.

sully
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sully, it defies logic and common sense how they could have stuffed up a limited run of Custom Shop Rhoads guitars on simple things like the paint and alighnment like they did. As you mention, the Japanese RR5 made in large numbers wasn't like that, nor pretty much any standard USA Rhoads I've ever heard of.

Comment

agreed.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I would go for the USA version (Oh, I already have [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). I've played an RR5 which was a decent guitar but, I find that the American Jackson's feel much better to me. Also, I'm not to keen on the Pearloid (Plastic) inlays on the 5

Comment

[Nigel Tufnel]Well, the RR5 is 4 better now isn't it??[/Nigel Tufnel]
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                [Nigel Tufnel]Well, the RR5 is 4 better now isn't it??[/Nigel Tufnel]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Touche, pussycat. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hell just get a custom shop RR and be done with it!!

Comment

There're also two other differences:
                    1) The bridge of RR5 is slightly higher so that the strings are not parallel to the body, which gives you a more traditional feel. (Take a close look on a Gibson bridge and you'll know what I mean.) While the strings on RR1 are paralled to the body, just like many other guitars for metal;
                    2) The neck of RR1 is made of quarter-sawn maple while that of RR5 is not quarter-sawn. Generally a quarter-sawn neck stays straight for a much longer period of time.

Comment

That's a good point. I have a Les Paul and never really noticed that. My Charvel strings are a good quarter inch closer to the body than the Les Paul. I'm more comfortable playing the Charvel. Wonder if that has a little something to do with it?

Comment

Working...
                      X