Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Charvel Family

Originally posted by MichaelMadeja:
    although i never tried those pickups or the guitar, i do have a 85 in the bridge on my Greco Les Paul custom and it sounds amazing.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yep, from reading this board, replacing the bridge hum with a EMG-85 is a popular model 6 mod. And who am I to argue with the veterans here? [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

But the stock setup gets a lot of raves as well, so don't feel like you HAVE to do it. Let your ears do the talking.

Does anyone here know if the mid-boost is compatible with EMGs? Or do most people rip out the JE-1200 when they install an EMG?

Re: New to Charvel Family

Thanks
    The passive and active, are there prefer styles of music in which these are favored? I'm looking for more of a deeper tone, basically to stay with a les paul type sound. I guess I'll figure it out when it arrives, but I've noticed a lot of people change it over to active. Any advantage tone wise by doing that?
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

New to Charvel Family

Was looking for Gibson, when someone mentioned a Charvel MD #6. After research, it seemed like everyone who handles this guitar loves it, so I purchased one (thru ebay). Question, the owner says it has J-50BC humbucker in bridge and
      2 J-200 stacked. is this the original setup for the model 6? He says they are passive, but some of the reviews I see, say the original setup was active. Can someone first, explain the difference and tell me what type of pickups I have and also the advantages. I also see a lot of people replacing them with EMG type pickup. Thanks

Comment

although i never tried those pickups or the guitar, i do have a 85 in the bridge on my Greco Les Paul custom and it sounds amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by DonF:
          Was looking for Gibson, when someone mentioned a Charvel MD #6. After research, it seemed like everyone who handles this guitar loves it, so I purchased one (thru ebay). Question, the owner says it has J-50BC humbucker in bridge and
          2 J-200 stacked. is this the original setup for the model 6? He says they are passive, but some of the reviews I see, say the original setup was active. Can someone first, explain the difference and tell me what type of pickups I have and also the advantages. I also see a lot of people replacing them with EMG type pickup. Thanks
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stock, the model 6 came with those pickups--which are passive--AND a JE-1200 active mid boost. Assuming he did not do any mods, if you look into the electronics cavity you'll see a 9 volt battery connector and a small circuit board.

The active mid-boost allows you to shape the frequency curve by actually boosting the output of a frequency range (in this case the mids). This differs from normal tone controls which simply roll down the output in a frequency range (usually the highs).

Active pickups are something different all together, even though they will also take a 9V power source. This voltage is used to actually generate a usable pickup signal. Checkout emginc.com if you want more info. In the model 6 case, the signal from the stock pickups are fine for an amp with or without 9V powering the active mid-boost electronics.

Comment

Any advantage tone wise by doing that?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There is never an advantage tone wise when you switch to EMG's. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey man, what kind of amp do you have?
              Maybe get the Model 6 first & try it out! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
              Also, we need pics!
              In the meantime, a link to the auction will do! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Fender Cyber Deluxe, Peavey studio pro

Comment

Working...
                X