Your first Jackson experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first Jackson experience

Hey all, I was just thinking about the first real memory that I have of Jackson Guitars. Circa. 1986, Dave Mustaine of Megadeth playing a King V in the "Wake Up Dead" video [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]. I had seen Randy's White Rhoads before that, but never realized what it was. Needless to say the King V made quite an impression... Obviously or I wouldn't be on here right? As far as my first Jackson goes, it was a Red-Violet metallic PS4 which I still have. What is your first Jackson experience and/or guitar.

jacksonfan
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Re: Your first Jackson experience

Jeff Hanneman's black soloist on the cover of Decade of Aggression when I was in Wherehouse in the fourth grade. That whole cd cover blew me away.

Comment

My first Jackson was a Limited Edition 1987 USA Strat... Ferrari Red, 1 Hum, Floyd, Rosewood with dots. I actually wanted a Charvel, but couldn't afford one, So I got the Jackson.

Ratt's Round and Round video is my first memory of a Jackson guitar. That and Stryper's guitars. They had some cool stuff.

Comment

Mustaine's V on various magazines cover (Rust in Peace/Countdown era). That guitar really catch my eyes... the fins and pointy head were so METAL! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

But I'm more a strat shape guy so I bought a Soloist.

Comment

Can't really remember but looking back it must have been either Adrian Smiths white Strat, Dan Spitz' cartoon guitars (esp. the Turtles) or Jake E Lee's Charvels.....thing is, so many people I liked were playing them back then (shame that's not still true!) that it's hard to remember the definitive moment!
          Cheers
          Ian
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Wasn't there already a thread on this? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

For me, it was seeing Randy playing his Jackson Rhoads way back in '81. A few years later, I got a San Dimas Rhoads (my first Jackson) which I still own.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              For me, it was seeing Randy playing his Jackson Rhoads way back in '81. A few years later, I got a San Dimas Rhoads (my first Jackson) which I still own.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

it was the description in an textbook, even without a pic, that appealed to me, when I later saw the ltd archtop soloist in the book "the guitarist" by john denver I was sold (first pic of a jackson I ever saw)

Harrald

Comment

My first Jackson experience was going to the guitar store, seeing a white USA RR and pretty much doing this -> [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] I pulled it off the wall sat down with it and played through some songs. I decided I'd get one someday. Three years later I own two RR's.

Comment

Randy..... Mustine, Hanneman, and M. Sweet in no particuliar order.....

Comment

First experience was on Denmark Street - London (or Tin Pan Alley to some of you). My best mate told me about this awesome guitar he had heard of - a Jackson Kelly. So - we went looking and found one. I remember how good this guitar fealt to hold and play - sustain that seemed to last forever. I was hooked - Kelly it had to be! Took me 3 years before I managed to get one....and now, 5 years after that my KE2 is en-route as we speak....

Comment

When I first started playing, I looked around and wanted to go electric. The guitars that caught my eye were a Kelly and a Roswell Rhoads which I couldn't afford back then. The guitar I could afford was a blemished JS1, but my parents talked me into going acoustic first, so I wouldn't have wasted as much money if playing guitar wouldn't have been my cup of tea.
                        Needless to say, I went to that store quite frequently and abused the Kelly and Roswell, fingerpicking all the way because I knew jack **** about playing with a pick at that time [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I first saw the "new" Jackson guitars in the back of guitar player magazine in the early 80s. They were in the new items section. They showed two Rhoads and two Soloists. Then, a few years later when Ratt's Lay it down video came out and Mustaine started plying King v's, I had to have a King V. in 87, I ordered a white with platinum King V with the same pickups and electronics as my model 5.

Jim
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Randy...the shape was the coolest thing I had ever seen. My first one was my RX10D.

Comment

Seeing Charvels and Jacksons in videos and on albums in the '80s, seeing the C/J ads in all the magazines. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I didn't get my first until the early '90s when Marty Friedman joined Megadeth and had the awesome Kelly. I got a deep blue metallic Professional Kelly with white plastic dot inlays (I guess a Kelly Standard?) from Musician's Friend. I didn't care for the JT580LP trem at the time, mostly because I was used to the Original Floyd and something about the smaller locking pins on the LP version just irked me, so I sent it back and got a refund.
                              Then about two or three years later I got a Veneman's Music Emporium catalog in the mail and saw a sale for a Professional Dinky HX (string-thru/TOM) and had to have it because I always loved Scott Ian's Soloists that looked similar and really wanted another 24-fret guitar that was string-thru. Within the past few years I've gotten two Dinky Reverses, another Dinky HX, a Kelly XLR, a JJP, a Charvel Model 6 and Model 5A, but I'm back down to the old HX and the JJP for now.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X