n00b question: swapping JT-6 for Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b question: swapping JT-6 for Floyd

Hi all. Brand-spankin' new the forum. I have a Charvel with a JT-6 tremolo that's getting old and pieces are starting to fall apart. Everyone here knows what a pain it is to get replacement parts for those things. I was wondering if any Floyd (made for Jacksons, of course) will fit. I'd hate to blow $150 on a tremolo and have it not fit.

Thanks,
    Ben..

Re: n00b question: swapping JT-6 for Floyd

Yes, a Floyd will fit. The string spacing might be off on the pickup pole pieces a little bit, as I don't think Jackson used F-spaced pickups, but the trem will fit right on the pivot posts.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a Charvel Model 2 that had a JT-6. I replaced it with a Schaller & it fit perfect. You've got to watch the length of the block. Mine floated above the body & required the longer block. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockinloud:
        I have a Charvel Model 2 that had a JT-6. I replaced it with a Schaller & it fit perfect. You've got to watch the length of the block. Mine floated above the body & required the longer block. Hope this helps.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Would that be the block the attaches to the springs? Which model Floyd did you get then?

Comment

The Floyds are all the same, it's just the block size that differs and they are interchangeable too. Measure the block on your JT6. OFR's and Schallers (the best ones) have block sizes of 32mm, 37mm and 42mm.

Comment

Again, of which "block" are you speaking? Sorry for the ignorance.

Comment

The block is the part of the trem that projects down into the body & to which the springs attach. You want a 42mm block if you are replacing a JT-6.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                as I don't think Jackson used F-spaced pickups
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">F-spaced???

Comment

F-spacing on pickups is for guitars equipped with tremolos like the Floyd Rose or a Fender-type trem where the pole pieces of the pickup will line up directly under the strings. The pole pieces on a regular pickup for, say, a Les Paul, will be a little different and won't line up directly under a Floyd. If your Jackson/Charvel pickup has a cover on it, you won't even see the poles anyway unless you decide to pull the cover off. Some people claim they can hear a drop off in output if the poles don't line up with the strings directly. I really don't hear much of a difference and don't think it's a big deal.

Comment

F-spacing on pickups is for guitars equipped with tremolos like the Floyd Rose or a Fender-type trem where the pole pieces of the pickup will line up directly under the strings. The pole pieces on a regular pickup for, say, a Les Paul, will be a little different and won't line up directly under a Floyd. If your Jackson/Charvel pickup has a cover on it, you won't even see the poles anyway unless you decide to pull the cover off. Some people claim they can hear a drop off in output if the poles don't line up with the strings directly. I really don't hear much of a difference and don't think it's a big deal.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The Charvel has active electronics so that should make up for any supposed drop.

Comment

I swapped out a JT-6 w/ a Floyd on my old Jackson Limited 88'. I did have to use saddle shims because of the neck radius. After that was done played great.

Comment

Originally posted by luckett:
                        I swapped out a JT-6 w/ a Floyd on my old Jackson Limited 88'. I did have to use saddle shims because of the neck radius. After that was done played great.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why would you need saddle shims? The Floyd has three different sized saddles that are set up to adhere to the radius. The JT6 has little built-in "steps" for the radius curve with its saddles all the same size.

Comment

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by luckett:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why would you need saddle shims? The Floyd has three different sized saddles that are set up to adhere to the radius. The JT6 has little built-in "steps" for the radius curve with its saddles all the same size. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Floyd saddles are / used to be "set" to a 10" radius. As we know, most Jacksons have a 16" Fretboard radius. If you DONT shim the outside four saddles (or grind down the center 4) you´ll have problems with playability because the middle strings will be way higher on the inside four. No thanks

It´s possible that Floyd changed the specs sometime back, but AFAIK they didn´t. Modern units do seem to be flatter in radius, though.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X