Used Guitars/Germ Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Guitars/Germ Problem

Maybe I'm not being rational, but I've passed on many good used guitars because I fear where the previous owners hands have been before they played them. Has anyone else thought of this? It really bothers me. You know, some guy just finishes with his wife, girl friend, mistress, crack whore, and/or cousin, then he picks up his guitar and plays it for a while. Would you really want to touch the neck on that guitar after considering where its owner's hands had been?

P

Re: Used Guitars/Germ Problem

[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] c'mon, Duh! Don't you touch any money either? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    If it really bothers you, can allways do this:
    Rip strings off. Clean fretboar, frets, everithing you consider important with alcohol. Apply lemon oil to the frets and guitar polish to the body. The axe is as clean as E.R. Hospital Room!

Comment

BTW, I ALLWAYS wash my hands an wait till they are perfect dry before making sex to my USA Rhoads! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Why is my girl so jelouse?

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
        Maybe I'm not being rational, but I've passed on many good used guitars because I fear where the previous owners hands have been before they played them. Has anyone else thought of this? It really bothers me. You know, some guy just finishes with his wife, girl friend, mistress, crack whore, and/or cousin, then he picks up his guitar and plays it for a while. Would you really want to touch the neck on that guitar after considering where its owner's hands had been?

P
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How do you feel about roaches???? [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Trypp = DROSS

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Its from handling money that this thought first entered my mind. I do have to handle a lot of cash at work, but I wear surgical gloves when counting it. An employee of mine picked up a strange eye infection one day and the doctors at the ER felt he caught it by handling money and then wiping his eyes.

Comment

I thought that's where mojo come from [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
              Its from handling money that this thought first entered my mind. I do have to handle a lot of cash at work, but I wear surgical gloves when counting it. An employee of mine picked up a strange eye infection one day and the doctors at the ER felt he caught it by handling money and then wiping his eyes.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think my parents taught me not to touch my eyes after handling money in the same lesson with not to swallow pennies!

Seriously - I don't think there's as much risk with a guitar... but jeeze - think about new guitars at Guitar Center - you know the ones with all the smudges and hand prints - probably worse than a used guitar.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Whose to say that a guitar fresh out of the factory isn't covered with the germs of the guys who made it? I really wouldn't worry about it too much - they're guitars, not surgical tools. If you're that concerned do what CZ V-KNIGHT recommends.

Comment

Who is Dross?

I finally decided to purchase two used instruments (a Model 6 and what looks to be a parts mutt Kramer) from the pawn shop across from my business. After giving each instrument a full scrub down, I should be able to live with them.

Comment

well this one time i picked up my guitar and BAAAAM

herpes.

Comment

...and I thought I had heard it all. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Today has set a new level of paranoia extremes.

Trypp = Michael Jackson (???) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Germs don't survive very well unless they are in the perfect environment. I can't imagine that guitars are very friendly - they are cold, hard, and dry, and often get cleaned with various chemicals.

Now put on your surical mask, nitrile gloves, and go step into your bubble and play a little.

Comment

If buying used germy guitars was harmful to your health, I'd have been dead YEARS ago and I'd probably have died a painful, agonizing, bizarre death. Guitars are your friends. Do not fear them.

Scott
                        Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:

QUOTE]

Of course the procedure takes about 30 years..... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm beginning to think that is how long it'll take Jimosity to finish the 'free refinishing' he advertised for the fabric refins.
                          Still have two guitars out to him and have no idea of when I'll be able to get them back. The feedback column is coming soon....

Btw, I don't worry so much about used guitars being the problem as I do the issues of cases having mold and skank funk you can't seem to get rid of no matter how much lysol you use.

Comment

you have an immune system for a reason, you know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

IT'S DROSS ALL OVER AGAIN!.....ARRRRGHHHHH!!!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X