X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used Guitars/Germ Problem

Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
    Who is Dross?

I finally decided to purchase two used instruments (a Model 6 and what looks to be a parts mutt Kramer) from the pawn shop across from my business. After giving each instrument a full scrub down, I should be able to live with them.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Trypp,
    You don't remember Dross from the old board?...he was the germophobe (not saying you are) That was scared to death of anything dirty, or germy (he was also scared shitless of cockroaches)...but the comparison to this thread and the way he used to post are very similar.

Comment

I do recall something going on with Dross on the old board. Did it have to do with selling fake SD's? I never read any of his cockroach posts.

Both guitars have cleaned up pretty well. I took the bridges off and will be giving those a scrub down as well. Fortunately, there is almost no finish/body damage to either instrument, so they will look almost NOS when my employee and I are finished.

Comment

Maybe I'm not being rational, but I've passed on many good used guitars because I fear where the previous owners hands have been before they played them. Has anyone else thought of this?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nope, never thought of it. Just clean and polish the guitar when you get it, and wash your hands before you play.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by CZ V-KNIGHT:
          Clean fretboar, frets, everithing you consider important with alcohol.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alocohol doesn't kill germs anyway, so all that'll do is make your fingerboard dry.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OK....here's what to do if you really fear germs and such with a used guitar. Open the case, and hit it with a light (and I mean LIGHT) mist of lysol, and close the case for a few hours.
            Then take the guitar back out..change the strings...degunk the fretboard, and give her a good polish. Simple...yet...effective! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan:

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] Trypp = DROSS

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I immediately thought that too...
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

In all seriousness, if you had seen the funk on these two guitars, you would have wondered as well.

Still, I picked them up for next to nothing and have made a guy who was late for work today do the cleaning.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Man... tough boss! But I'm guessin' that's not part of his job description. Does he pick up your dry cleaning and walk your dog too? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

My employees have the simplest job description in the world: They work, and I pay them.

Comment

So you said you paid almost nothing. Go ahead and make us cry - how much did you pay for 'em?

I paid $125 for my first Model 6 at a pawnshop and thought that was pretty dang good! It wasn't even on the wall, just leaning against the wall behind the counter!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CZ V-KNIGHT:
                      Clean fretboar, frets, everithing you consider important with alcohol.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Alocohol doesn't kill germs anyway, so all that'll do is make your fingerboard dry. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">but if your guitars are covered in liver, or brain cells, it's just the thing
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Hmmmm....

We bought a used Jackson Dinky HX a couple of weeks ago....maybe I should have asked where it had been . [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mrs Spaceace

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorX7:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Trypp Powell:
                          Who is Dross?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Trypp,
                          You don't remember Dross from the old board?...he was the germophobe
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Old board? It was on this one! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey, "Bubble Boys" there are germs everywhere. When I see it on CNN that somebody caught something from a "Dirty" guitar, I will then stop touching anything, but myself. Relax and eat dirt. It's supposed to build up your immune system.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I know people like that too! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                              They'll rinse out the clean glass when you offer them something to drink. Don't let other people use their computers because their keyboards could get dirty. This one dude i know was freezing his ass off and refused to wear a jacket someone offered him to wear. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Never let your immune system rest!
                              Analingus Rules! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] "most guy's just hover above the bung, not me....i go right in"(Diceman) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ April 24, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: DamnationAngel ]

Comment

We used to say something had "DPM" (DEEP PSYCHOLOGICAL MEANING". Deep isn't enough. You would have to go into the abyss to figure those people out. I say to myself; "Don't touch me, I may get germs."
                                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                                X