Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most comfortable guitar you have ever played.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most comfortable guitar you have ever played.

My best playing guitars are my Charvels. This is why I play Charvels. The first time I tried a Charvel in the early 1980s, I was grabbed by the fantastic playability and the dreamlike feel of the unfinished oiled neck. Unfortunately I was not able to afford a real San Dimas Charvel then. Now I own 2 Ontario Charvels, 1991 and 2003. The 2003 has a custom neck profile, copied from my favorite my neck of my San Dimas IV reiusse I owned. The back shape is identical to a real San Dimas Charvel of a friend of mine, but a little thinner (.775" at 3rd fret, .835" at 12th fret, 1 11/16" nut width). I dont feel comfortabele with painted necks, only with unpainted oil finished necks. The most comfortable I feel with oil finished birdseye maple, it feels very different to oil finsihed quartersawn maple.

I also still own an Ontario Jackson Dinky Custom (it's a production model, not a custom made, but in the catalog Jackson named the model Dinky Custom) which is a predecessor of the current DK1. For me, the back shape of the neck of my Dinky Custom is a little too flat, it feels very different to all the USA Charvels (San Dimas and Ontario) I ever owned or tried. According to the catalog specs, the neck of the DK1 might be very similar to the neck of my Dinky Custom.

Comment

For all the C/Js I own, if I'm truly honest, the most comfortable guitar for me is my Musicman Axis (purple quilt with Floyd) - Second joint are my Koa SD1 and my GMW Adrian Smith Replica....
      Ian
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I also have an old (made in USA) Peavey Predator that I bought for $150 used. It has the best neck on it.

since my picture of my JTX is being stubborn, and not showing up,

You can see the predator in the pictures too, but it doesn't look like that anymore, with that awful Invader pickup. It now has a nice green moto pickguard, a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck, and a DiMarzio FRED in the bridge, and a ton of little mini switches that perform all sorts of cool things, like individual pickup selecting and a "tone switch" instead of a knob. Its a 3 way switch, in the middle postition it has the tone off, one side as a .22uf Metal Film capacitor and the other side has a .01 ceramic capacitor, for 2 different flavors of high end roll off (mmmmm. . . high end roll-off. . .)
        www.freewebs.com/nonamenoname/rig.htm

[ May 18, 2004, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: nonamemx ]

Comment

Its a toss up between a 2002 GMW Str@t (see avatar), a custom Str@t that I local guy put together for me (using Warmoth parts but the neck/frets were hand installed/finished) and my '84 RR. Depends on the mood. The RR is light and is easy to sit with "classical style". It also detunes nicely (although I do not care for detuning all that much - it it very adaptable for even C# without having to do much other than one tweak of the kahler). The GMW has a killer neck - it really flys). And the custom warmoth str@t is just great playing guitar all around.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

My most comfortable ever are the various Soloists/Charvel neckthru Model guitars I've owned that have flushmount bridges and angled necks. They just seem perfect in every regard--the way the guitar body fits my body, the shape of the neck, the way my picking hand hits the strings in just the right way--everything. I currently have a '93 Soloist CST that has a recessed Floyd and non-angled neck. While it is every bit as comfortable in most ways, the strings are a lot closer to the body/pickup bezels, and my picking hand seems to bump into things more often.

As far as non-J/Cs go, the most comfortable guitar I can recall playing was an Ibanez Sabre that I owned a number of years ago. It was a more 'traditional' guitar with a tung-oil finish and Wilkinson-style bridge. It had truly wonderful ergonomics all the way around--though I wouldn't have minded bigger frets.

Les Pauls have wonderful necks, but those big blocky bodies aren't really the most comfortable around.

Comment

Well,after spending an hour doing some careful set-up work last night,my 82' Charvel Grim Reaper strathead is now smokin' my 85' Red pointy!!Gotta love those maple/maple necks!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Chucksplatter

Comment

Yamaha Pacifica 112 has a great feel to it, but got to give the nod to the Charvel Mod 6 for comfort and ease
                Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

i'm thinking my USA Gunslinger owns over my other guitars. and others I've played in a good long while. the only thing that came close was the MM Luke.

but I just Fly on the slinger. nothing else really does it for me/

Comment

These look pretty cumfy to play

Matt

Comment

Ooh.. this one is a toughy.. It's a toss-up between 3 guitars:
                      1) 1981 Pre Pro Charvel
                      2)1984 maple board Kramer Baretta
                      3)ANY Ernie Ball AXIS(Although my green one is my fav so far)

Comment

The most comfortable neck I´ve ever played is my 1988 orange/gold Soloist...there´s just something about that neck that makes it play sooo smooth.

Comment

i would have to say my charvel model 3 or my RR1, the action is so low and like butter.

Comment

I once played an EBMM JPM 7 string. it was truly amazing. second vote would be for my old Ibanez JPM100P4, pretty amazing as well

harrald

Comment

As a newbie, my Yamaha Pacifica 112m was a dream.

Now, its the DK1 that sully's been working on for the past 6 months [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

~E

Comment

I had an SL3 that I since traded in as part of a trade for SL2H and I also had that string sliding off of the neck problem, as does a buddy of mine who also has an SL3. My luthier ended up putting a narrower nut on and it helped considerably. Unfortunately the real problem seems to lie in the frets themselves. they cut angle them downword when they should go straight across. You won't see frets cut like that on the USA models.
                                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X