Sperzels for SLS Headstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperzels for SLS Headstock

Does anybody know what set of Sperzel locking tuners will work on an SLS Headstock? What does Jackson use on the SLS? I thought it was Sperzels, anyway I want to buy a set but am not sure which ones to get. I think the standard 3 on a side tuners are larger than I want but I'm not sure. -Frank

Re: Sperzels for SLS Headstock

you can get 3/3 or 6 in line sperzels, the cool thing about them is that you can switch the knob to the other side very easily to suit your needs.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks Sully.

Re: "6 in line" - Don't you need one side to rotate in the opposite direction though?

Comment

Actually, I checked out a new SLS that the NW Jackson rep dropped off at a shop yesterday - and Sperzel has redesigned their tuners. They're really reduced in size - it looks like they've taken the housing off of the gear as it's totally exposed - the six tuners fit on that headstock sweet whereas the stock ones might not....you might get in touch with Sperzel directly to ask....The tuners looked killer.

Steve E

Comment

according to the sperzel website, you can basically order customized sets using different sized knobs/spacers/etc:

http://www.sperzel.com/ (opens a kinda annoying flash page, but click on 'combos' there)

Comment

...which brings us back to the original question...

Comment

Just go with LRS tuners, just my opinion.
              According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat:
                Thanks Sully.

Re: "6 in line" - Don't you need one side to rotate in the opposite direction though?
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that's the thing with sperzels, you can easily take them apart and convert them to however you need it.

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully, Not sure I understand, do you mean you can take them apart and somehow reverse the way they turn?

Comment

sorry for the confusion.

yes, you can take sperzels apart. let's say you have a set of 3/3 sperzels, but need to put them on a 6 in line headstock. the 3 tuners that would normally not work can be EASILY taken apart and have the tuning peg on the other side, so you can have a 6 in line set, and vice versa.

there are a version of non locking sperzel tuners as well. they just look smaller, and there's no thumbwheel. that may be what was referred to earlier.

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                      there are a version of non locking sperzel tuners as well. they just look smaller, and there's no thumbwheel. that may be what was referred to earlier.

sully
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually - what I saw was an entirely new version of the locking tuner. The thumbwheel was there, but most all of the housing has been removed and the internal gear is now exposed...This was on the Jackson reps SLS so I don't know if it's a model to be released or current( he did put that one and a sick Soloist hardtail on consignment at the store I used to work at...they could be had cheap...Salesmans samples...)

But yeah, as Sully accurately stated, those things are like Transformers.

Steve E

Comment

Cool, thanks!

Comment

Open back Sperzels: http://www.tkinstruments.com/id75_m....l_tuner_style_

Comment

Working...
                          X