Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would YOU do???

Alright, here's the deal...

I ordered a custom shop through a dealer last year, December or so. I paid a deposit, over $1000. When I decided to get rid of the bulk of my gear and all of my expensive guitars a couple of months ago, I wanted to walk from the guitar, so I found someone to take over the purchase of this guitar through the same dealer which in turn made arrangements with this dealer, basically paid him again the same amount as I did as a deposit.

This was over a month ago now. Well, after a month of waiting, 4 or so phone calls and probably 10 emails, I still don't have my money back, nor can I even get a return phone call or a reply to my emails...

To avoid questions about why the guy who assumed the order didn't just pay me for my deposit instead of the dealer, I don't have an answer for you as I didn't coordinate it, but it should have been handled that way, for sure. But for whatever reason, it wasn't.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanx in advance!

Pat

Re: What would YOU do???

Do you have a receipt on the $1000 deposit?

Do you have a receipt stating that the custom order changed hands to another customer and the dealer should refund you $1000?

If yes + yes, i would send the dealer a letter by registered post letting him know about the receipts (cinclude a copy) and giving him a fair deadline before taking this case further (consumer watchdog or similar responsible authorities you typically use in america).
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Yes, I do have a receipt for the deposit, and wsort of yes on the other side as well. It's very well known the entire situation, there should be no question. And according to this dealer from the last time I spoke with them, it's not an issue.

I dunno man, I'm just extremely frustrated over this. Being a business owner myself, I wouldn't consider delaying a refund like this, especially when I've received the same deposit twice.

Thanx!

Pat

Comment

Well, to start, many dealers make it explicit that deposits on custom orders are non-refundable. Was that the case here?

Even if so, one would hope that said dealer would be cool and do a refund anyway, as long as you hooked them up with a replacement buyer of comparable standing. It would certainly be the "respectable" thing for them to do, as the dealer has been held harmless.

And, when hooking up the replacement buyer, was there discussion and agreement amongst all three parties that this now brought a refund of your deposit back on the table? If this wasn't explicitely discussed by all, lord knows what kind of deal might otherwise have been cut. And are you SURE the new buyer actually paid the same amount already?

You're absolutely right, though, that it would've been preferable for the new buyer's payment to go straight to you, rather than the dealer. ...But, then again (and to be fair), how else would the dealer have evidence of the new buyer formally stepping in, unless they took a deposit from them. And, in turn, supplied a receipt to the buyer, so they also had written evidence of the order being "their's".

Comment

what jackson1 said plus maybe have a letter in there from a lawyer. i had something like that happen, gave a deposit for alot of work basically a full restoration. It was supposed to take 6months. 2 years later the guitar was not ready yet & when i went to see it i knew why. He had really F'd it up. once you get lawyers involved its seems people seem to remember faster & return phone calls & stuff.

Comment

P.S.- And, oh yeah, doesn't it take a while for a credit card payment to clear, for the dealer to have good funds? I'm not sure how long this takes for a retail outfit. That might be a factor, too.

Comment

I'm thinking some irresponsible worker is handling your case (emails + calls), but a registered post will go to the management and get things moving. I'm guessing here, but i hope this is the scenario.
              Henrik
              AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Well, I paid the funds last December...

And yes mon, all 3 parties were well aware and in agreement, I think it's just laziness or not wanting to give up the funds. There was absolutely no question as to the deal when I wanted to back out. It certainly could have and preferrably would have been handled with the guy that took over, sending the payment to me, if I would have had control over it, I would have insisted, but I "assumed" at the time, that's how it would have been handled. But either way, after speaking with the dealer a few times, and last time I was told that the check he sent to me looked like it was sh!t on and was returned to him, he proceeded to say he'd send it UPS or something, well it's Wed and still not a reply or package. This was last week, but what frustrates me the most is I get no reply to any messages I've sent.

I'm not going to mention the delaer as I'm hoping it's an honest mistake and hopefully this thread will jar something loose over there, if they even read this forum, I'm fairly certain they do tho.

Pat

Comment

And for the record...

I guess I'm a bit paranoid for the simple reason that at least 5 times a year, I've got deadbeat clients who dispute legitimate charges, or their credit cards are declined and they tell you the perverbial "check's in the mail" or one of a 100 other excuses and then end up moving their files and screwing me. Well, after so many times, you start to raise more and more flags when something like this happens... So I hope that helps you gusy understand where I'm coming from. It sucks, but that's how it is unfortunately... The last time someone did this to me, it was to the tune of $4200... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

Tell them you own the JCF, and if they don't make this right, 3900 potential customers will hear about it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] @RacerX... Too funny, but as you know, I certainly don't own the JCF, Jeremy and company are just clients of mine and we host this site on our network, have so for years, at least since the new board software. I'm just a normal Joe around here with very little pull, if any... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pat

Comment

You do have a powerful voice, though, with this forum providing access to lots of people who count (major Jackson purchasers).

Comment

But let it be known, I would never, nor have I ever used this forum for my own personal gain, cept buying and selling gear and talking trash with the rest of the boyz... Nothing more than anyone else anyway.

Pat

Comment

Well, from what you've posted, it sounds like it's probably either:

- they're very busy with other matters, and just haven't had a chance to get back to you; or

- you're getting blown off.

I can understand your concern, though. If I were in your shoes, I would probably be having the same nagging questions in the back of my head. Hopefully, it all works out for 'ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X