Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A LOT of questions about pickups and what-not!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A LOT of questions about pickups and what-not!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Hey guys, I was just wanting to know what pickups would be good in an Alder guitar body??? I was on Harmony Central reading about a TON of pick-ups (Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncan's), and it seems that pick-ups like the Duncan Distortion and all were not good for alder/ash-type bodies!!!

I also have A LOT of questions that need to be answered, so please answer them!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]:

1. How are the Dimarzio Evolutions, and the PAF Pro's??? Do you think they would sound good in an alder body Jackson, or do you think they sound a lot better in MOST Ibanez's, which are basswood (and what Dimarzio pickups are better suited for)???
    2. How does the Duncan Distortion sound???
    3. Is the DD ONLY good at Metal, or is it a versatile pickup???
    4. How does the DD sound in alder bodies???
    5. Are Dimarzio's better suited for Ibanez's, and are Duncan's better suited towards Jackson's/Charvel's???
    6. What does the EMG "81/85" set sound like, and can it do OTHER things besides Metal???
    7. What pick-up (Bridge/Middle/Neck) set do YOU think would be good for my JDR-94 (Alder, H/S/H configuration) that I should get in the mail soon???
    8. Do you guys think I should listen to A LOT more music to find out the tone that I want to achieve??? Honestly, I don't know what genre I want to be considered as, and I CERTAINLY have not listened to enough music to find what I want to SOUND like!!!
    9. What do the Dimarzio Super Distortion's sound like, it seems like some hate them, and others LOVE them, why is that???
    10. How does the Custom-5 sound like, I hear it has SCOOPED mids, which I don't want.
    11. What WEIRD things can you do with a Floyd Rose, besides divebombing, pulling up, and harmonic squeels???
    12. What's a good amp for like UNDER $700??? I was thinking about the Marshall MG series, BUT after reading and hearing what I've heard (that they suck), I don't think I want one anymore!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
    13. How is the Fostex MR-8 8-Track Digital Recorder for recording???
    14. Does the JemSite "edge" setup tutorials apply to the OFR as well???
    15. How can I test what the Mids, Treble, and Bass sound like when I'm playing my guitar???
    16. What was the CrAzIeSt [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] thing YOU'VE EVER done with a trem, that made you fReAk out in a GOOD way [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]???
    17. Since I CERTAINLY want to be a shredder, WHAT types of music should I divulge my self in???
    18. How long does it take to setup a Floyd, and what are the nuances besides the time it takes to set-it-up correctly???
    19. Why did Joe Satriani shave his head bald??? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    20. How does Vai achieve all those crazy tricks with the bar??? Does he like dedicate like an hour or 2 hours just to the Floyd/Edge, so he can make the quirkiest sounds [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]???

Man, I sure do ask A LOT of questions, BUT that's what it takes in the quest of Jackson's!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: A LOT of questions about pickups and what-not!!!

Is this a Metal Sludge 20questions?
    [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    My answer to the #19,because Joe was losing hair, so he shaved his head instead of hiding it by wearing cap.
    [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      17. Since I CERTAINLY want to be a shredder, WHAT types of music should I divulge my self in???

[/ QUOTE ]

*drum roll*
      Shred! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      Sorry, couldn't resist. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

People like Rusty Cooley, Francesco Fareri, Chris Impelliteri, Shawn Lane, Marty Friedman, Frank Gambale and Jason Becker should keep you pretty busy...
      Also some fusion guys I always forget the names of. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      Friday Night In San Francisco.. Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia and... uh... some other dude... lol

Comment

Whether a pickup sounds "good" or "bad" in *ANY* body is entirely up to the individual. I like the Duncan Distortion in Alder, Mahogany, Basswood - whatever they'll fit into - BUT I have an external rack EQ unit so I can dial in pretty much whatever tones I want, and boost or cut anything I don't want.

There's a whole list of sample tracks at Seymour Duncan's site that let's you hear every pickup they have, though I think the humbuckers are all done through Les Pauls and all the singles are done with a Strat, and the clips are really short. As far as I know, they were recorded straight into an amp (Fender?) with no post-production EQ or other stuff to color or change the tone - you're hearing the guitar and the pickups only.

And I definitely suggest listening to a wide range of stuff to see what kinda tone you want, though obviously I recommend guitar-oriented stuff (ACDC to ZZ Top). I found a happy medium of three of my favorite players - Iommi, Santana, and Chris Holmes - for both tone and phrasing. Your mileage may vary.

I had a USA SLS with a mahogany body, maple cap, and Evos in both positions. I didn't like the Evos through my particular setup, but then I didn't spend a lot of time dialing custom patches to suit those pickups, so whether Jacksons sound better with any particular brand of pickups is up to the individual. I never play straight through the amp unless I'm directly comparing pickups, but it gets to be a pain to swap pickups in and out of the same guitar, and it's nearly impossible to find (buy) dozens of the same guitar just to put dozens of different pickups in them, so you're better off preparing yourself to spend the rest of your life hunting for "THE" tone on your own, because only you know what you like. I can tell you what I like, but you're not me, and you may not like it.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The questions I could answer are in italicized font. Here goes:

6. What does the EMG "81/85" set sound like, and can it do OTHER things besides Metal???

I'd prefer to reverse the typical "Zakk Wylde" EMG set. While it's a personal preference, where some people really love the EMG-81 in the bridge, I'm the opposite. The EMG-85 is thick and juicy and crushing as a bridge pickup. I'm less picky about neck pickups, so by default, the EMG-81 would go in the neck. If I wasn't restricted to just the EMG-81 and EMG-85, I'd get an EMG-89 for the neck. This is the setup I currently have on my KE3 and it was by pure chance that I stumbled upon a great match.

7. What pick-up (Bridge/Middle/Neck) set do YOU think would be good for my JDR-94 (Alder, H/S/H configuration) that I should get in the mail soon???

It would be a personal preference thing. See Question #9 down below.

8. Do you guys think I should listen to A LOT more music to find out the tone that I want to achieve??? Honestly, I don't know what genre I want to be considered as, and I CERTAINLY have not listened to enough music to find what I want to SOUND like!!!

Why confine yourself to one single genre? I play a few different styles, so my Boss GT-6 processor certainly helps with different tones that I may need. But yes, listening to a wide variety of different styles of music may give you an idea of what you consider is a good tone versus a bad tone.

9. What do the Dimarzio Super Distortion's sound like, it seems like some hate them, and others LOVE them, why is that???

Personal preference. There will never be one single pickup that will satisfy everybody. I like my DiMarzio Super 3 enough, but it's not my personal bridge pickup of choice. Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio give you a trial period on your new pickups. If you don't like them, exchange them within that timeframe for a different one, and this way, you can experiment until you get the pickups that suit your particular guitar perfectly.

11. What WEIRD things can you do with a Floyd Rose, besides divebombing, pulling up, and harmonic squeels???

Horse whinnies, siren wails, fluttering/warbling, and obviously vibrato are some of the things that come to mind. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

12. What's a good amp for like UNDER $700??? I was thinking about the Marshall MG series, BUT after reading and hearing what I've heard (that they suck), I don't think I want one anymore!!!

Departeth thee for thine music store, post haste! Bring your own guitar with you. Test the amp under situations you would normally practice with to get a general feel of what it's like. I'm terrible with getting good sounds at any music store (unless I play acoustic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]).

14. Does the JemSite "edge" setup tutorials apply to the OFR as well???

Generally, yes, if what I remember about Jemsite's tutorials is correct. The original Edge is close enough in appearance and functionality to the Original Floyd Rose design to work.

15. How can I test what the Mids, Treble, and Bass sound like when I'm playing my guitar???

Fiddle with the controls labelled "Mids", "Treble", and "Bass" on your amp, silly goose. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Some guitars have active electronics (Carvin INSTANTLY comes to mind for whatever reason), as well as a lot of bass guitars, too. And the guitar's tone controls are sort of a treble filtering control. Mids, in my opinion, have the greatest effect on one's sound, and I always see the guitar as a midrange instrument anyways, much like vocals. The midrange will be what will help you be heard in a band situation where trebly cymbal crashes and thundering low bass and drums occupy the extremes of the tonal spectrum.

Hardcore gangsta rap. There's nothing else better for a future shredder than to be down wit da beatz of da 'hood, y0. Ya b3tt@ r3c0gnyze!

18. How long does it take to setup a Floyd, and what are the nuances besides the time it takes to set-it-up correctly???

Depending on what I want to do, it can take anywhere between ten minutes to an hour. If I am just changing strings, ten minutes. If I am putting on a new gauge of strings and downtuning the guitar, it might take up to an hour if I do it slowly, making sure I have the trem level, saddles intonated, and giving the neck the appropriate truss rod relief. Really, you get better with it only if you dare to work with it. For me, it certainly helped that all three of my electric guitars came equipped with trems, and three different kinds of Floyd-style trems - Ibanez Edge, Jackson JT580LP, and Original Floyd Rose.

Comment

Simple answer to solve all the problems.

"APC"
            I want to try one.
            [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

As for the 85/81 doing more than Metal - can YOU do more than Metal? Your pickups can do whatever YOU can do - just as a Jackson Warrior can handle Country, so can an EMG 81 - IF you know how to set your amp/EQ.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] You and me both, Toru. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This is all Dreamland_Rebel's fault. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  All I need now is LPC and APC.
                  Combination of these 2 words will end my nightmares.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, I read that LP Custom thread where you said you wanted a Les Paul. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      As for the 85/81 doing more than Metal - can YOU do more than Metal? Your pickups can do whatever YOU can do - just as a Jackson Warrior can handle Country, so can an EMG 81 - IF you know how to set your amp/EQ.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you are wrong about this Newc. Well, you were right except for the Warrior comment. Jackson is not recommending the use of Warrior's for country. I forget where I saw it on their site but it's there. They stop just short of forbidding it. However, for those Warrior players interested in playing country music they are offering special mail-in rebates on Teles.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

No you're thinking Gnu-Metal and Hair Ballads - mine still has the warning stickers on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I like the Duncans in Alder best. Most of my guitars are alder and ive had everything from a Duncan distortion, JB,
                          custom custom and a full shred. All of which sounded great in Alder. Also sound great in mohagony and basswood or Ash.
                          Each piece of wood has its own natural tones so just experiment. Some pieces of wood are dead and even an EMG wont resusitate it. The JB is probably one of the best over all picks up out there. The Duncan distortion pup is typicaly a rounder sounding midrange (more of a honk then creamy sound of a JB) ceramic magnet pup. The ceramic magnet gives it more output with less windings around the bobbin. So it doenst mud out when used with high gain amps. It still has clearity and definition with plenty of bottom end for most situations. If you want less gain go with the JB or custom 5 alnico pup. great natural overtones and natural harmonics too.
                          Gil

Comment

More suggestions welcomed!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Is this topic a joke?
                              IF not, then,

My answer to pretty much all of your questions is to go out and try out some of the stuff. You will know if you don't like it, and you will know if you do. Most of your questions you already answered by saying "I've heard that blah blah blah". If you've heard an opinion already, then what will you get if someone here answers you? ANOTHER OPINION to add to the list.

I think that's worth two cents.

Nandrew

Comment

Working...
                              X