Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson vs. Charvel - Why two seperate camps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson vs. Charvel - Why two seperate camps?

Going through the personal stable recently, it occurred to me that I may be a bit of an oddball around here. It seems that many folks tend to strongly identify themselves as in the "Jackson camp" or "Charvel camp". i.e., There's typically a strong association with one or the other, but - unlike me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] - not a strong attraction to both. ...Why is that? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Neck-throughs vs. bolt-ons is certainly part of it. Old school Charvel collectors vs. newer Jackson players. Styling. And other factors, too. ...But I just don't understand why there seems to be a tendency for shying away from one or the other? It's not so black and white to me - more shades of grey. IMHO, there's more similarities than differences. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

And it seems particularly strange to me considering they are the same company. And, except for the short period when Charvel preceeded Jackson, they always have been.

Please explain to me why you guys are so weird. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Jackson vs. Charvel - Why are there two camps?

Probably because you have the guys who still think "first" is "better", and the whole resale value thing, as well as that mysterious "mojo" and "vibe" stuff.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: Jackson vs. Charvel - Why two seperate camps?

I own both Charvels and Jacksons, so I don't understand that either. I get the San Dimas Strathead vs. pointy thing, as the looks appeal to different folks. I don't want a San Dimas Strathead because I can't stand a 21 fret guitar. I prefer 24 and can live with 22 if it's a nice guitar, but 21... blechh!!! That's just me though.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I personally can't help it. All I've ever seen, played, and owned were Jacksons. I have never even seen a Charvel in real life. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If they were as common as Jackson here, I'd play Charvel too... no discrimination from me.

Comment

I have both and I like them both. I don't understand why you would like one and not the other. Neck thrus and bolt ons I understand, but I have both and like both. If I'm getting a neck thru it's going to be a Jackson, and if I'm getting a bolt on (hopefully it will be a San dimas Chavel) pointy or strat head, don't matter to me, I'll take both [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

They're both Super Strats, they're both cool, they're both toneful, they're both uber shred machines,

Heck I'll take them both. A happy Jackson-Charvel family.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Although I played in bands with Charvel owners, it was always Jacksons that were available when I was shopping for guitars. I was tempted by a couple of the Charvel SD reissues a few years back, but there was always a Jackson around that I wanted more. However, I've stuck with Charvel basses for quite awhile now and probably will continue to do so.
              sigpic

Comment

Though I don't consider myself to be part of either "camp", I've always looked at Jacksons as having more inherent value. I think that comes from the fact that I came on to the scene at about the time that Charvel became the Japanese Import line and Jackson was the high-end USA models.

That certainly wasn't the case before and isn't the case now, but that perception of Jackson being "better" somehow, has stayed with me, to a degree.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I personally can't help it. All I've ever seen, played, and owned were Jacksons. I have never even seen a Charvel in real life. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] If they were as common as Jackson here, I'd play Charvel too... no discrimination from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding or serious ? If you haven't played a Charvel, I urge you to try a Model 5 or 6, or perhaps a Model 750XL. Then you'll see what the hoopla's all about !

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

bump

Comment

I'm serious. Charvels are nonexistent in my area, used or new. Hopefully the newest line of Charvels will be sold here.

Why are you bumping? The topic was still high on the first page of this sub-forum. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Not to get on your case, but this isn't the first time I've noticed you posting just "bump", especially for topics that are still fresh. May I kindly ask your motive? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Why are you bumping? The topic was still high on the first page of this sub-forum. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Not to get on your case, but this isn't the first time I've noticed you posting just "bump", especially for topics that are still fresh. May I kindly ask your motive? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                        Occupy JCF

Comment

For me it's the fact that I came on late combined with the fact that Randy Rhoads is the reason I picked up the guitar. That's why I prefer Jackson. Though, I'm nowhere near being diehard for then over Charvel. I'm really looking forward to playing and in all honesty probably buying a new San Dimas Model Charvel.

Also, I've preferred the Jacksons over the Charvels I've played. My SL2H is the best guitar I've ever played period. That fact combined with the consistency I've felt with all the Soloist models I have played over the past three years or so made me choose to buy a new SL1 instead of going with one of the used Soloists or Model 6/650XL Charvels I was looking at and trying out.

All this being said I'd still like to get a Model 6/650XL. The ones I've played were killer. Plus I need to try a new San Dimas model. Need bolt ons too don't I? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Both Jackson and Charvel rock in my book though. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I would own a Charvel if it had a medium-large neck carve. I hate thin necks. I hear a Holdsworth is what i want, so someday hopefully I will be able to try one of those.

I like Jackson neckthroughs for the way they feel and sound. They are not really comparable to the Charvels as in my mind Charvel = bolt on and Jackson = neckthrough. As far as preferring old ones or new ones, I like the feel and construction of the old ones in general, but ofcourse you can still order a new Jackson through the Custom Shop exactly to spec of an old one, which is cool with me. I wish there were some new models with the specs I like standard, like 3 piece necks, binding nibs and small controls routes.

Comment

i like both, but only own jacksons right now. the only charvels i've owned are a model 1 and a model 5a. both were great, but i had to make "upgrades". with jackson i don't have to do that. i'd like to get an original charvel some day (san dimas strat head), but they get to be too rich for me. we'll see!!
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X