Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups

You know that feeling when you put in new pickups and they are the greatest thing.... and then later down the road you get tired as hell of the sound your getting out of it... I need to find something that has alot of bite and is still chunky(I Play mostly Melodic Death) without mud. Yep. I am tired and pissed at my 81, I miss my 85.

Re: Pickups

i like the dimarzio evolution and the steve´s special PUPs. they both have a lot of output and sound very good.

Comment

Yeah, I can understand going to an 81 after being used to an 85. I have a KV with an 85, and that's my current fav... I'm gonna get an 85 for the bridge on my Warrior which has 81/81, but the old style, without the quick fasteners. Oh well should be easy enough to switch cables. Though once I get an 85 in there, I would need to ever change it out. lol
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Duncan Distortion!

Comment

Since you already know and like 85's sound the simplest way would be to get a 85 unless you're open to try something new.
          When I switched 81b for a 85 I missed 81 for a while, but then when you do adjust your eq I started thinking if I really wanted to go back to 81. I guess I'll have to find it out some day.

Comment

Originally posted by joe web:
            i like the dimarzio evolution and the steve´s special PUPs. they both have a lot of output and sound very good.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I second that. The Evo's Great!

If those arn't hot enuff try the X2N [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            Steve Vai used those in the early eighties

Rich

Comment

I don't think EVO's would work too well for the sound I am going for, The X2N has a weird mid range that I just can't get past, great pickups but just not my thing. I really want to test out a EVO and see if it can get that sound I am looking for, but I don't think it will....

Comment

...the only way is try it... keep us informed

Comment

Originally posted by InFlamedMonkey:
                  I don't think EVO's would work too well for the sound I am going for, The X2N has a weird mid range that I just can't get past, great pickups but just not my thing. I really want to test out a EVO and see if it can get that sound I am looking for, but I don't think it will....
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've used an X2N for years and really love it! I've never tried the Evo, but I've heard quite a few people complain about that one and say it can be shrill and the midrange is weird sounding.
                  I'm also a big fan of DiMarzio's Super Distortion which isn't quite as hot as the X2N but still should be good for what you need.
                  Though, I also love EMGs and say if you want to go back to that route, the 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck would be the way to go.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Chuck Schuldiner used X2N's what more do you need?

Comment

But Chuck could have played a Samick into a Gorilla combo and it would have still sounded godly!

Comment

listen to steve vai records. does he has a bad sound?

Comment

No but not anything near what I would be playing with it.

Comment

Another happy X2N user here! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by joe web:
                              listen to steve vai records. does he has a bad sound?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, but with all the expensive studio engineering and recording equipment he has, you'll never be able to sound like he does on album anyway.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X