Cleaning Your Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Your Jackson

I'm curious to know what types of solvents (if any) you all use to clean your guitars. I might be crazy, but I've been using a product called Rem Oil that can be found in hunting sections of department stores everywhere. It prevents my hardware and strings from rusting! Pretty good stuff, as it was intended to keep moving metal hardware in working order... kinda like WD-40.

But I would like some feedback from other people because sometimes I have to wonder about using a product for an application it wasn't intended for.

Thanks in advance!
    "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Re: Cleaning Your Jackson

I use a microfiber towel for the body with a little "Trick" guitar polish. To remove light pick type or hairline scratches, I use Stewart-MacDonald fine polish. For the fretboard (Ebony or Rosewood) I use "Lizard Spit". It's similar to Lemon Oil. Another conditioner is Gibson's "Fret Board Conditioner". For maple boards that get dirty, some Naptha and a rag (a little Dan Erlewine trick)For strings I use GHS Fast Fret. On the hardware,trems and such including the old Kahler Pro's, I use good ole' sewing machine or All-in-One oil very lightly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Whoa! That's a lot of different cleansers! Where do you buy microfiber towels? I use regular old glass towels. They seem to work okay... I'll have to give that Lizard Spit a try. I'll search for it on Yahoo or something.

Thanks!
      "my aim is precise, armed with my own failures"

Comment

I easiest place I've found for micro fiber towels is your local auto parts store in the cleaning/polishing/waxing department. A good cotton towel will work fine, but if you want perfection micro fiber is the way to go. I forgot to mention regarding lubes, and speaking of gun supplies, TriFlow and CLP Break Free are great adding a little Teflon to the oil. Also for standard nuts and saddles. A little graphite from a pencil added to Vaseline works great in the nut slots and on top of saddles. To make it easy, a luthier supply house like StewMac(www.stewmac.com)has "Guitar Grease" already made up. A container will last you a life time.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
        X