Custom bolt-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom bolt-on

How many options are there to cut out the heel? On the custom quote there's only this scallop option, but Ibaneze's "hidden heel" seems to look better, and also have better access. Besides, the heel from this fusion looks more comfortable to play as well. So, how many ways are there to have my custom maple neck bolt-on's heel cut off?

Re: Custom bolt-on

you could add the front cut like a fusion had also..

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Don't the PC1's have a slanted neck plate? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ...That may help upper fret access somewhat.
      >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

They also ..Recess the neck plate and taper the heel if you like ..this is one of my guitars ..

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
          They also ..Recess the neck plate and taper the heel if you like ..this is one of my guitars ..

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does a recess not reduce the stability of the neck joint?

Comment

I don't think that the removal of that minimal ammount of material would impact the structural competence of the guitar much, if at all, it would be negligible.

I mean, it's not like your out beating baby seals with them [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

As long as the neck screws were tight and had good surface contact between the neck and the neck pocket, I don't think it would negatively affect the guitars structural integrity.

Comment

That neck joint/plate set-up is pretty much standard practice for all USA bolt-ons, unless you specify otherwise on a custom order.

My PC1 is like that, as is my DK1 and custom shop Dinky. I like it - going up the neck, it allows a slightly smoother transition to the higher registers. But, then again, I've never been bothered by the standard neck joint set-up, so I could live without it, too.

Comment

Are you sure? I don't know if your noticing the neck plate is actually recessed on this one.. the neck polate sits in a pocket even with the surface body .... I've never noticed that on any production guitar

Comment

Here's the back of my DK-1. Not a close-up, but you can pretty much make it out.

Maybe it's been standard for only the last few years, Kev? It at least goes back to 2001, roughly. Possibly sooner.

[ May 20, 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

That Fusion looks familiar [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Courtesy of some dude called Slash. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But seriously, Slash, is the cut-out in that pic of yours a special feature only found in Fusion? Or is that what all the Jackson bolt-on looks like?

Comment

Originally posted by KMaynard:
                        Are you sure? I don't know if your noticing the neck plate is actually recessed on this one.. the neck polate sits in a pocket even with the surface body .... I've never noticed that on any production guitar
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah, it's not uncommon at all; i've got a dk1 body here that has the same neck plate rout.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Both of my DK-1s have the plate recessed like the ones shown.

Matt

Comment

I think that scooped back is pretty common on Jackson bolt-ons. Can anyone dispute this?

Comment

This thread had a picture of a WICKED bolt-on heel that was contoured to look like a neckthrough. Perhaps ask Brett to re-post that photo if you want to see it, because unfortunately, I didn't save it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Am I under the impression that when you guys play up high on the neck, you move your thumbs up and over the neckplate and up to the big scallop on the back of the guitar body? I can't even get my thumb up and onto the backplate fast enough when needed, so I keep my thumb on the neck itself and try and reach the high frets with my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                              X