Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between rosewood and ebony freetboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between rosewood and ebony freetboard?

I'm wondering what is the difference betwen rosewood and ebony? I have a rosewood fingerboard, but I will buy myself a brand new rhoads guitar, and I'm thinking of having neck made of Ebony? Is that O.K.?

Re: What is the difference between rosewood and ebony freetboard?

Huh [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

You mean you want a ebony fingerboard??

You wouldn't want the actual neck made out of Ebony....trust me.....ebony is a very hard, very dense wood with very close grain.

The major difference in playing on ebony/rosewood is the feel. Ebony is sort of like "playing on glass" whereas rosewood is porous and feels differently.

As for sound, I think rosewood is a little more mellow than Ebony....the highs aren't as pronounced on a rosewood fingerboard as they are with ebony.

Hope this helps, and maybe I totally misread your post....

Comment

Rosewood is a little warmer sounding. Ebony is brigther, sometimes a little brighter than maple. Also, ebony is usually darker in color, closer to black, but it can sometimes have reddish brown streaks, and it's pretty smooth in its grain pattern and doesn't usually show the pores of the wood like rosewood.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks alot! I was searching for this answer all over the net, but I couldn't find it! I actually want to have ebony freetboard because I think it's easier to play solo on it! Am I right? But there are only USA selected series Rhoads models which have an ebony freetboard [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Wood Descriptions

Comment

Which wood for body do you recommend? Is Alder O.K.?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ibanez:
              I actually want to have ebony freetboard because I think it's easier to play solo on it! Am I right? But there are only USA selected series Rhoads models which have an ebony freetboard [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think it's any easier to play on ebony than rosewood. Ebony can feel a little smoother, but it's not that big a deal. I may be in the minority, but I actually prefer rosewood or maple over ebony. Though, I had two guitars with ebony and didn't have any problem. It's all a matter of personal preference and what feels better to you.

And, yes, the USA Rhoads models have ebony, the imports have rosewood.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was looking for this guitar in near guitar shop RR 3 What do you think about it ?

Comment

It has blue transparent color finish and a silver pickguard plate (instead of gold in the image)!

Comment

IMO, I think you'd be better off to find a used RR-1 off of E-Bay than to dump your money in the RR-3, but that is just my opinion (which, incidentally, doesn't mean shit [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

The quality and construction would be much, much higher and would have a greater trade/resale value in the long run [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I would love to have RR 1, but I can't find it here in Slovenia! I would have to order it! About the Ebay - do you think is safe enough to buy over it?

Comment

I don't know anything about the Eureopean E-Bay bro. E-Mail Kevin Easton at Easton Guitars and talk to him. I know he has shipped new Jackson's to Europe in the past, and the buyers were really happy.

Comment

For a bit of highly opinionated info about the RR3, check this thread:
                          http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=3;t=000759
                          [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I think I'll just buy RR1!
                            It's much better (for me)!
                            Hope this decision is good and thanks for all advices you gave me! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

WHEN NEWBIES ATTACK!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey Mr. I (a crappy name BTW),
                              We have a search function here, and it works great! BTW I visited your fine country in 2001. Your border guards are quite suspicious and business-like!
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X