Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackson's volume knob placement (yet again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson's volume knob placement (yet again)

Ok, who here actually does volume swells with their volume knob, and why (as opposed to a volume pedal)? The traditional placement for Jackson's volume knob is, of course, largely considered to be "in the damn way", yet some have mentioned that it's easier for volume swells and changes, so I have to ask: Who does that?
    I know Roy Buchanan used to do that a lot, but he played a Tele and was more of a country picker than a Jackson-type.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Jackson\'s volume knob placement (yet again)

I don't do swells too much. I find it always in the DAMN way!

Comment

I personally have grown to LOVE where the volume control is on Jacksons and other "rock guitars". There are often times that I need to quickly cut out the volume right after hitting a chord or a note, so it's handy there. No volume swells from me though.

What I have a beef with on my Soloist is where the BLADE SWITCH is located! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I do frequent pickup switching when transitioning between rhythm and lead, and the switch is kinda buried behind the two control knobs! I prefer the blade switch to be where it is on my RG for better and quicker access.

Comment

I used to do swells quite a bit, not really any more. Still, I prefer the knob a little closer and never have a problem with it getting in the way... mainly because I fan my fingers out George Lynch-style and go right above the knob.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i've never had any problem whatsoever with any kind of knob placement. the configuration i grew up with was fender's, so i guess i've always been used to knobs in close.

i'll use the vol knob for swelling; especially in a 2 guitar band. i'll use it to add a bit of dynamics here and there. and why the hell buy a volume pedal when you've got a volume knob on the guitar? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Ok, who here actually does volume swells with their volume knob, and why (as opposed to a volume pedal)?
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe to avoid adding anything to the signal path... the less is more approach .. if you can get the effect you need from the knob comfortably there's no reason to add that break in the chain ..
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Sully - So I can do fades while picking [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Try it with a heavy reverb or long delay setting [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've tried fanning my fingers out like Lynch, only to come away with severe wrist cramps, and I know I'm not the only one. I've also tried anchoring my pinky around the knob which either slowed down my picking hand or otherwise impeded my motion, or gave me hand cramps again.

And I totally agree with the placement of the blade-style switches - behind the volume is the wrong place. My Ibenhad EX350's 5-way was in the perfect spot that I could flick it back and forth with my pinky with minimal interruption to my picking, and never touch the volume knob. That placement should be adopted as the new industry standard.

The Mustaine Pro V was the worst though - the switch in Position 1 is RIGHT NEXT TO the Tone knob, which means when you go for the switch, you gotta get between the tip and the knob [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

KM - Perhaps that's why Dunlop made a High-Gain Volume Pedal? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, if you're running straight guitar->amp with nothing in the FX loop, one volume pedal isn't going to suck your tone's life out, and even if you're using a single effect unit (rack or pedal), it's not going to drain your tone to any noticeable degree (unless you're using a boutique amp like a Fish or Uber, which is designed strictly for the "no fx" crowd).

Newc

Comment

I love the location of the volume knobs on 80's Jacksons. And I still use the knob for swells, although not as much as I did back in the day! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                    I've tried fanning my fingers out like Lynch, only to come away with severe wrist cramps, and I know I'm not the only one. I've also tried anchoring my pinky around the knob which either slowed down my picking hand or otherwise impeded my motion, or gave me hand cramps again.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not only do I fan my fingers out like Lynch, I also sometimes anchor the pinky on the knob or even the pickup bezels (or side of the pickup if it's an EMG) while doing solos. I started out playing that way, so it's natural to me and I guess that's why I don't get cramps.

Comment

No volume swells, it is in the way. Jack.

Comment

My pinky anchors on the pickup bezel as well.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                          And I totally agree with the placement of the blade-style switches - behind the volume is the wrong place. My Ibenhad EX350's 5-way was in the perfect spot that I could flick it back and forth with my pinky with minimal interruption to my picking, and never touch the volume knob. That placement should be adopted as the new industry standard.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I reach out with my pinky finger to flick the switch as well, and it's SUCH a convenient location. This is my Ibanez's saving grace when pitted against my Soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Newc:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thank you!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I reach out with my pinky finger to flick the switch as well, and it's SUCH a convenient location. This is my Ibanez's saving grace when pitted against my Soloist. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I actually got a Jackson Dinky body off a friend of Jim Shine's last year, and it had the blade switch in the same position like an Ibanez. I almost didn't think it was a Jackson body at first. I looked through an old MF catalog from around '97 and found two "exclusive" Dinky Reverse models like that. I thought the placement was cool, but I prefer a three-way Gibson-type toggle over the blade, or the three on/off switches like the old Jacksons. The guitar is at WarriorX7's house waiting for a refin, and the blade hole has been patched in and waiting for the three on/off switches. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Never do volume swells and I never found the knob to be in the way, either. However, I do hate the postition of the switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X