Where to get started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get started?

I’ve been thinking of getting a used Jackson or Charvel. I’ve found a few ‘90s USA Dinky models and some San Dimas models as well but I cannot seem to find any information regarding these guitars. I’m mainly after what neck sizes, woods they used etc. Are they Ibanez Wizard thin or are they a bit more comfortable, D shape or C shape? Also what else to look for regarding the overall makeup of the guitar, serial numbers, any knowledge that can be pointed out so that I don’t end up getting something fake or messed with. Thanks.

Prior to about 1990 everything was one-off custom-made. Specifications could be anything. If you have specific questions about a specific guitar, I would recommend posting photos and a detailed description of it here, and the experts here will hopefully help you.

The rest of this reply deals with production models, which are more well-cataloged. Same recommendation: If you're seeking help about a specific guitar, post it here and we'll help.

Good reads and resources are linked below. It might feel like like drinking from a firehose.

Most Jackson production models: https://guitarinside.com/Jackson_models

Early Japanese Jacksons: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...ofessional.php

Early Japanese Charvels: https://web.archive.org/web/20180831...rt-guitars.php
    and: http://www.charvelusa.com/models.html

Jackson catalogs: https://www.jacksonguitars.com/support

Charvel catalogs: http://charvel.com/support/catalogs-and-pricelists/

Comment

A 1990ish Charvel 475 (bolt on) or 650 (neck thru) is a great starting point. The Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ is very similar to the Charvel 650 and the Soloist USA of the time, and is a ton of guitar for the buck.

The 475 competed with the Ibanez RG760, although the Charvel has a slightly beefier neck than the toothpick original Ibanez Wizard.
      '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
      '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
      '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
      '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
      '90 Charvel 475 XL
      '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
      Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
      Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
      Marshall JVM410H

Comment

I've never played a Jackson, or Charvel, that felt like it had a neck as thin as an Ibanez Wizard. I'm currently digging the Charvel Model Series, personally. To put it as simply as possible, they seem to be like a Fender Strat, but faster.

Comment

The one thing to consider -
          Jackson has been pretty consistent in its design.
          But Charvel seems to have been whatever hodgepodge that Jackson wanted to try.

And I don't mean that they are bad or inconsistent. I mean that the Model Series (late 80s) are Jackson guitars but with a Charvel name on them. Not what Charvel had been up until that point. And now they seem to be back to being closer to Charvel. But inbetween, there was also the "Desolation" era which wasn't just an import, it was yet another complete redesign of the guitar. And there were a couple others, but you get the general idea.
          For the most part, if I buy a Jackson from anywhere between 1983 until 2019, I pretty much know what I am getting. But a Charvel could be any number of variations.

Comment

What pianoguyy said just blew my mind and I can't argue with anything he stated.

The interesting thing is that Grover originally put his surname on the headstock of Randy Rhoads' design precisely because it was a new radical hodgepodge to try, not what Charvel had been up until that point.

Jackson imitating Charvel imitating Jackson.

Comment

So I think I’ve narrowed it down to 1987-1989, Soloist or Dinky (I love the crackle finish). I’ve never actually played one of these so it’s a huge gamble. The new Jacksons seem to have a thin D profile which I’m not a fan of. It’s a pipe dream but I’d like to know what kind of neck shape the ‘80s Jackson Soloist or Dinky has.

Comment

Originally posted by newfx11 View Post
                So I think I’ve narrowed it down to 1987-1989, Soloist or Dinky (I love the crackle finish). I’ve never actually played one of these so it’s a huge gamble. The new Jacksons seem to have a thin D profile which I’m not a fan of. It’s a pipe dream but I’d like to know what kind of neck shape the ‘80s Jackson Soloist or Dinky has.
                The first thing I would point out is that Jackson USA guitars still have a considerable amount of the work on the neck done by hand (shaping, sanding), so there are variances even on modern Jacksons. I just received my new Custom Select Dinky on Friday from the Jackson Custom Shop. The neck measures slightly different than my 2018 Custom Select Dinky. Neither are exactly "on spec". Think of the specs I am going to throw out as more of a guideline for modern era Jacksons than a hard and fast rule.

Also as Piano Guy said, the 80s were the wild west for Jackson guitars. If you are really into the neck dimensions, an 80s era instrument will be more of a crap shoot as to what you will get. A modern USA Jackson will be more predictable within tolerances. The idea that the 80s era Dinky will have the thinnest neck profile should generally hold true, but they will have greater variance between instances of a model.

The Dinky neck carve is the thinnest, modern Dinkys are spec'd to .750" @ 3rd and .810" @ 12th. It is not Wizard thin, but it is the thinnest neck that Jackson offers stock. It is a "D" profile.

The modern Soloist neck is spec'd to .790" @ 3rd and .850" @ 12th. It is a slim or modern "C" profile. Those measurements are before neck paint & clear coat is applied. Just like with the Dinky there will be variances based on both shaping and sanding as well as the finish thickness.

There is also the Jackson Speed Neck profile that can be used on a Soloist (If the Soloist is special ordered with the Speed Neck). It is spec'd to .775" @ 3rd and .835" @ 12th and is IMO right on the line of "C" and "D".

Both the Soloist and the Dinky will have the same nut (1.6875") and heel (2.250") widths as well as a 12-16" fretboard radius.

On Soloists another consideration that I look at is the finish. When the neck is finished with clear coat it has an impact on feel IME. Jackson offers poly eurethane and eurethane for clear coat. I personally find the eurethane to have less of a "plasticy" feel and does not get sticky when playing like poly does. You can also find USA Soloists with oiled necks (no paint or clear coat, finished with tru-oil), these are my personal favorites.

Finally in the 86-89 era bolt on were not DInkys! If you look at the catalogs, 86-88 really focused on the "Vintage Style" bolt on: 22 frets, shorter upper horn, soft body edges, and a full sized strat body. In '89 they offered the Vintage Strat Style and added the "Dinky Strat Style" bolt on with 24 frets, an elongated upper horn, sharper body edges, and a scaled down body size. Since the 80s were the wild west, there can be examples of dinky type guitars built prior to '89 for custom orders. The Jackson bolt on line was simplified to just the "Dinky" in the early 90s.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 03-22-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

To CaptNasty and pianoguyy. As far as consistency is concerned would a Charvel classic series or early '90s Jackson Professional series be the best bet if you wanted a dinky body and a pretty good idea of the neck profile you are getting? Seems to me like it would be. I know the OP poster said USA but it seems one of these may be better in terms of knowing what neck profile you are getting and everything I've read says the quality is close to the USA models of the time.

Also it sounds like the neck of my Charvel 650XL is just what he's looking for. Also weren't they available in the crackle finish.
                  Last edited by Dak; 03-22-2021, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it really helps. I’m not totally set on a specific era but it seems most of the newer USA Jackson’s have a speed neck. I found one Soloist that the seller claimed was .810-.880 which would be perfect on paper. I think that guitar sold though. I’ll keep looking or maybe post a wanted ad here when I’m ready.

Comment

Here's the neck measurements off my 1990 650XL which IIRC was the Charvel Classic series( toothpaste logo) version of a Soloist.
                      1st - 0.797"
                      3rd - 0.810"
                      12th - 0.938"

Of course it's been established there will be some variance between guitars but maybe this will give some idea of the specs of that particular model.

Comment

Originally posted by Dak View Post
                        Here's the neck measurements off my 1990 650XL which IIRC was the Charvel Classic series( toothpaste logo) version of a Soloist.
                        1st - 0.797"
                        3rd - 0.810"
                        12th - 0.938"

Of course it's been established there will be some variance between guitars but maybe this will give some idea of the specs of that particular model.
                        Nice, that's actually very close to what I'm looking for. For whatever reason I've grown to like necks a little on the chunky side but I love Jackson's designs and guitars (mostly due to one of my guitar heroes playing a few different Jacksons). The thin necks will actually cramp up my thumb quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                        X