This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel/Jackson wants you!!!

The guys at Jackson want to get your opinions,wants and desires for next years line up. They are asking questions like

1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez?
    2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products?
    3. If you were going to buy a Jackson bass:
    A. What features (pickups, body woods, etc) would make it the best bang for the buck?
    B. What price point (street selling price - not list price) would you want it to be?
    C. What model would you like to see in a Jackson bass (Concert/Dinky, Rhoads, Kelly, King V, etc)?

We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following:

1. What pickup configuration - 1 Hum or 2 Hum?
    2. Which "retro" or classic Charvel graphic or finish would you like to see? I need suggestions for the Star and the San Dimas - different graphics "work" differently for each model.
    3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem?

Do you have opinions? I know ya so ... you can send em too

[email protected]
    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Re: Charvel/Jackson wants you!!!

Teh features that make a Jackson better is all the things they have copied.
    Also Jacksons come with real Floyds.
    Compared to Ibanez-better electronics and woods dollar for dollar.
    Esp-they have tried to dupe everybody by turning their whole line of guitars to LTD made in korea.

One thing I would like and some may cry foul:
    A student guitar for the USA series strats- I love shark fins but I would love to have a new USA with just plain old dots. I also would like to see matching headstocks on solid colors.

Retro Guitar

My dream:
    2 hum
    Solid colors- I love graphics but they do drive the cost up quite a bit and sometimes they are to outlandish to be your main guitar for any enviroment.After all I think the most retro is a solid color. I want to buy a retro for my main player not to sit on a shelf.
    -But I guess the idea is to remake an awsome finish. If I had to say the biggest graphic I would like to see, It would be bomber graphics like amirs.

Definitely Floyded

This is the dream part-reverse headstock.

No comment on bass as I am a shitty bass player.

Comment

1. Workmanship,quality of materials, feel, sound, looks, and experience. Here are my breakdowns of the individual comparisons.
      A. Jackson vs. ESP
      Jackson gets my vote here for the little things. The standard fretsize. The Extra-Jumbos on ESP guitars are too big. One thing that really makes Jackson superior to me that not a lot of people would even realize is the bridge pickup placement. The placing on Jackson models is closer to the neck and it sounds better. I did a comparison between an ESP KH2 and a Jackson DK1 and the DK1 had a thicker, but not muddier sound when using the EMG 81 in the bridge. I also would have said price in reference to Jackson being better but that is no longer the case.

B. Jackson vs. Ibanez
      I like Ibanez. Jackson's feel, materials, quality, and variety make them better to me though.

C. Jackson vs. Other brands mentioned:
      I can't really comments here as I've only played the others sparingly. However, of those few times I give Jackson the edge for the same reasons I listed in the Ibanez comparison.

2. 7 string guitars. Each of the companies listed offer some form of a 7 string guitar. I'd personally like to see a US and Import 7 string Soloist model. Using the Floyd Rose 7 string bridge.

3. Sorry. I'm not much help in the bass department. I will say this though, a US version of the Import Dinky bass that's made now would be cool.

4. Do a Jake E. Lee reissue!

Other comments:

I'd like to add these in addition to what I've said already.

-Start using the Buzz Feiten system. This is the single biggest update I think you could do to the Jackson/Charvel line. I hear the difference and most every guitarist I know does too. I would pay more for this. Though no more than $200 more.

-Stop raising the prices. I'm not complaining but one of the best things used to be that Jacksons were such great deals. Jacksons are still great guitars, they're just not as great deals as they were.

-US DK1S and DK1T/DK1ST models. DK1S is a DK1 with H/S/S pickup configuration and a five way blade switch. Use EMG 81/SA/SA pickups.

-Start offering EMG pickups as an alternative choice on ALL USA Select models. Offer the 81, 85, 89, and SA pickups. This is something I'd pay more for. Though no more than $150 at the very most.

-I know this is going to sound like whining. Make all the USA Select finished available and all the USA Select guitars. I hate the fact that I can get a Pavo Purple King V but not a Pavo Purple Soloist.

-2005 will mark the 25 Anniversary of the Soloist. (If I'm correct. If I'm wrong just disregard this one.) Do something special with that. Maybe a Limited Edition run of Mike Shannon and Tim Wilson built Soloists with:

Poplar Body
      Quartersawn Maple Neck-Thru consturction
      Ebony or Rosewood fretboard
      Sharkfins or Dots
      H, H/S/S/, H/H, H/S(neck), or S/S/S pickup configuration
      Choice of Hardware color
      Non-Recessed or Recessed Floyd Rose
      Old neck style
      Some type of special finishes including solids, trans, and graphics.

Basically psuedo-Custom Shop Soloists but limited to these options of something similar. Also maybe no more than say 250 of them will be made.

Comment

1. Built Quality, Attitude, Feel, Finishes, quality of wood.
        2. 7-strings guitar. Some models have higher quality pickup. Thats about it.
        3. Im not experienced enought in bass.

Suggestion :

Marketing... you go in guitar Center, they all have Ibanez and no Jacksons. I think the public image of jackson should get a lift-up to the new generation of teens. They want to have their favorite player's brand of guitar. I couple of known endorsees would help IMO.

Comment

i hope you guys are emailing this to that address, as well as posting it here.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I didn't even see that. Thanks.

Comment

The guys at Jackson want to get your opinions,wants and desires for next years line up. They are asking questions like

1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez?

ESP offers lots of bang for the buck, e.g., neck-through archtops at a great price (see more below), an active Custom Shop, and tons of endorsements - mostly nu metal, but some lasting ones, too (Lynch, Hammett, Mustaine, etc.). For some reason, they're putting ALL of their focus on the LTD line these days, which seems like a mistake to me, as it dilutes the brand. Even the LTDs are pretty nice, though, with great fit and finish. This is a tough competitor for Jackson, IMO, though I think they will suffer greatly as nu metal wanes.

Schecter is a non-entity, IMO. Nothing for Jackson to worry about.

BC Rich has very unique and cool body styles. Spotty history of staying in business under the same owner, though, and they've really diluted the brand name with all the cheap imported models over the years. I think they're a niche player, and again, not much to worry about for Jackson.

Ibanez seems to me the biggest long-term threat, with advanced technical features (contoured heel, neck-stiffening rods, its own highly regarded locking trem, smarter output jack on the JEM, etc.), cool aesthetic features (vine inlays, monkey grip, swirl graphics, "lion's claw" trem recess, etc.) and some great endorsements (Steve Vai). Their downfall is sometimes using poorer quality materials (basswood bodies, rosewood fretboards instead of ebony, plastic-with-paper-backing inlays, etc.).

Jackson's compelling features are: wide variety of neck-through models, ebony boards, USA construction, quality parts (OFRs and Seymour Duncans), quality materials (better woods, metal cavity covers and real MOP inlays on USA models, etc.), USA Custom Shop, contoured neck heel (when used), more attractive body shapes, and endorsements - most of the famous shredders used Jacksons. ESP has taken over with the nu metal crowd, but while that has undoubtedly helped their current sales, those guitarists' persuasive power over buyers is unlikely to last as that fad fades, since their actual playing is not compelling. Ibanez chose a smarter-over-the-long-term route, courting virtuosos like Steve Vai. His playing is compelling, and people don't forget that. Endorsements with real talents pay off over the long term. Looks like Washburn moved pretty quickly snapping up Jon Donais (too bad for Jackson), but what happened with Rusty Cooley? He's had proud pics of his Jackson Custom Shop on his site for a long time (still does), but now Ibanez is building his sig guitar?!? WTF? Focus on endorsements, playing up the fact that the real metal gods used/use Jacksons or Charvels, and bring back some of the great players we all miss, to show that they still do. Jake E. Lee and Warren DeMartini should be signed up immediately. How 'bout making a play for George Lynch? I know, he seems to be locked in with ESP, but why not give it a shot? And how about Ted Nugent while we're at it? He's been energetically promoting Gibson for years with no apparent reward (I can't believe they've never made a sig guitar for him, especially when I see who they have made sig guitars for). He does play PRS sometimes now, so he's obviously open to other brands. He has more name recognition among the general public than almost any of these guys. Build him a sig guitar, and sign him up!

Even though it builds some guitars overseas, Jackson has a much stronger MADE IN USA component to it, which is prestigious in the world of guitar manufacturing. Play this up like a Chevy dealer with 150 US flags in his parking lot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products?

Generally, some of these brands have added some nice high tech features that Jackson should add, too.

For the bolt-ons, switch to a contoured neck heel with countersunk bushings, instead of a square block with a metal plate (3D makes it even worse, as it adds thickness). Ibanez did this long ago, and their bolt-ons offer better access at the heel as a result. Even the higher end Fender Stratocasters (a much more traditional guitar than a Jackson) at least have the corner lopped off the neck plate, which actually helps a great deal, and requires almost no change to the guitar whatsoever.

Add graphite rods to the necks to increase stability. Peavey does this. Ibanez does it too, though with bubinga. Another good idea which has already proven to be feasible.

Add the Buzz Feiten tuning system. At least on your own Jackson trems, add a TremSetter-like device.

Offer oil finished necks as an option. Offer choice of black or chrome hardware as an option. Make Schaller Strap Locks standard on USA models (Fender already does this with some Strats).

Switch to the upside-down Strat-jack style output jack that JEMs use. It simply makes more sense. Sitting down, the cord isn't jammed into your couch or chair, and standing up, it neatly routes through your strap (and yeah, I know, I can get a 90 degree-angle cord to fix this problem, but I shouldn't have to, just like JEM players don't have to).

Switch to aluminum clad cases that look like flight cases (like Washburn did with the Nuno Bettencourt models), or even go with diamond plate if you want to get a bit more flashy. That's a cheap and easy way to make your brand stand out.

Offer an archtop, neck-through Soloist for a reasonable price. All you have to do is re-release the Jackson Soloist Archtop Professional. For proof this can be done at a reasonable price, take a look at an ESP LTD (especially the MH-400 LTD - mahogany body, quilt maple top, Floyd (copy), real EMGs (they did 81/81, I'd suggest 81/85), set-neck, natural binding, and beautiful fit and finish for $629 at MF!

Offer a 1H, 1 vol. Soloist with Floyd. Preferably 22 frets, though I can live with 24. If it has to be a bolt-on (i.e., Dinky), give it a contoured neck heel, as described above. Also, mount the pickup direct (no ring).

A. What features (pickups, body woods, etc) would make it the best bang for the buck?
              B. What price point (street selling price - not list price) would you want it to be?
              C. What model would you like to see in a Jackson bass (Concert/Dinky, Rhoads, Kelly, King V, etc)?

Since I'm not a bass player, I don't feel qualified to answer this one, so I won't waste your time with my speculations on how to spec it out. I will say that, once again, high profile endorsements make sense. Get Billy Sheehan. (Yamaha? C'mon. That's a motorcycle company, isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] He should have a sig Jackson.)

We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following:

2. Which "retro" or classic Charvel graphic or finish would you like to see? I need suggestions for the Star and the San Dimas - different graphics "work" differently for each model.
              3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem?

1H. Nobody makes these, and lots of people want 'em. 2Hs are everywhere. A Floyd is necessary, as it has to stay in tune. Many graphics become dated-looking. One exception is military themes. Do a winter camo with military graphics.

Comment

Do they want my honest opinions?

1.Jackson has tons of color choices for the select series including graphics.
                That would be the one of most cool things about Jackson.
                Also while others are into new things(designs for example),Jackson keeps their own good stuff from 80's.
                I hope they can get Star shape as production model.

2.Jackson needs to lower the price.
                These are too expensive for younger generation and even for old guy like me.
                Many peopel end up buying used because of that.
                And lack of availability.
                People seem to have problems getting their Jackson at local stores.
                Also release more signature models and give more endorsements to pro players.
                Probably Jackson needs a better marketing team for Artist relatiohship department and need to get more players involved.
                Get all the 80's platers back in action with Jackson.
                Call Chris Holmes and have him a new RRV or get Stryper and Ratt involved.
                Just like CHarvel came back with Eddie, Jackson needs more players and get people's attention.

3.I don't play Bass so I can't comment on this.

About retro series.
                Hotrod Flame with both Star and Strat shapes.
                1hum will be fine to keep the cost lower and let people to add pickups if needed.
                Vtrem is fine to keep it classic.

OK, I am sending this to that e-mail address as well.
                It is at least very cool that they want to hear from us!!

Comment

Make more guitars w/o floyds with short scale necks.

Comment

What Quicksilver said is about perfect.

Comment

Jackson over the rest:

Build quality above all.
                      Expand into 7 string.

As far as the Charvel Retro:

A solid color maybe in order, pearl white with all black hardware. Floyd and two hums. Strat headstock.
                      If graphics are a must to some, maybe hot wheels flames with black hardware and one hum to fully enhance the graphics job.
                      Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Basically what everyone else has said is good....I strongly support the 7 string thing, make an Import 7 String Dinky with a real 7 String Floyd, neck binding, and sharkfins that stay the same size across the whole neck, and give it black hardware....I would be ALL OVER THAT in a second!

Comment

1. I can only speak for Ibanez;
                          better overall construction work; ibanez guitars feel cheap and quite fragile, even the neck through guitars, like they can fall apart at any moment. the overall guitartone is better, doesnt matter which guitar you have ibanez < Jackson (USA models at least and the best imports, that is SL3, RR5).
                          2. Jackson should try to make more uniform necks, Ibanez is a good example of how to do it, it appears more professional and avoids discussions like: the neck is chunky or flat. that is one of the better things ibanez has to offer. besides that: I'd upgrade the imports with a better floyd, like in the old charvel days. it is IMO one of the weak points of those guitars (had one PS4 and broke the floyd, kept me away from jackson for a while).
                          In Europe the competition for rock guitars is mainly ESP, Ibanez seems to be history, and I think Jackson can learn from the Japanese brands in a way of distribution and marketing; here higher end jacksons (both higher end imports and USA jacksons are not obtainable, which makes them WAAAAAY to expensive to competer qualitywise with the better models of LTD (M1000 etc) which cost about the same, but seem to offer more.

3. I'm not a bass player

no charvel answers here

Harrald

Comment

<font color="yellow">
                            Plain and simple - Quality and consistency. The models and options avaialable are proven, comfortable, easy to play. Feel is predictable. They are very tweakable, and versatile, which allows for hotrodding, something others do not easily allow for. </font>

<font color="yellow"> Going against what I said in #1, the other manufacturers seem to be more willing to mass produce different/new body styles and shape. You've got the Warrior, but that's it. To your(Jackson's) credit, nobody does superstrats, V's or Rhoads better...(Firebirds too, but I won't go there) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                            </font>
                            <font color="yellow"> Make/market them like the USA selects...
                            </font>
                            <font color="yellow">1000 - 1200, pro line consistent with Guitars. Also compete against Big Brother (i.e. Fender)
                            </font>

<font color="yellow"> A KV bass would be cool...don't play bass, not sure how effective it'd be to play...

</font>

<font color="yellow"> Make the pickup choice optional - in the 80's everyhting would have been one hum, now more players like the versatility of two...

</font>
                            <font color="yellow"> SD model, how about Amir Derakh's Navy Camo job? Floyded or not that would be very cool...

On the flip side, How about a Chris Holmes Star graphic of your choice...

</font>

<font color="yellow">
                            Floyd, but either would be fine by me.. </font>

Bill

Comment

ah crap...just give me FULL SIZED STRAT BODIES, maple boads, dual hums and non-recessed floyds.$850.00 no graphic. $1150.00 for graphics...keep it simple stupid..
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X