This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel/Jackson wants you!!!

7 string option should be available on all models (import and usa). Binding on fretboards and headstocks of all models (imports and usa) and the one humbucker option on all models.
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Comment

People, send e-mails to Jackson as well.
      It will probably help even better.

Comment

Heh biggest things I'd like to see are an affordable USA guitar that doesn't have all the "bells and whistles", ie, binding, sharkfins. I'm a fan of plain old guitars with all balls and no tits.

Comment

Charvel neck thru! I know the purists are gonna crucify me for that but heh... I'd love a Charvel USA Soloist!!!

Comment

1. Has been said but I think it is valid, the only thing I like about the guitars makers mentioned, then it is only those things that those companies ripped off from Jackson and USA/SD Charvel.

2. Sorry, not a bass guy.

San Dimas "Retro" (I would not buy a Star personally - dont do "shapes" anymore):

1. 2 Hum pref., but does not matter all that much.

2. Hot Rod Flames!!!!!!!! pref. blue with red/orange flames.

3. Either trem is fine (although I must admit that since all of these guitars are "ordered" (as opposed to standard production) I think it would be cool be be able to spec just the trem as either Floyd or Brass so that people can get what they want from the factory (no aftermarket hack job needed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Charvel's major competitor is Charvel. The bar has been set so high with the originals, you have a hard act to follow. Price and selection has alot to do with low sales. The Charvel line should be opened up as a true custom line,just like they used to be. Let us order EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT for a reasonable price and not the ransom your asking for them now.

Comment

1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez?

the quality and the "secret weapon" (nobody's necks feel better to me...ibanez's wide and flat doesn't have the certain "rounded shape" that old charvels had...

2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products?

bigger advert budget...high profile endorsers...find a way to make playing a jackson or charvel "cool" to the younger generation...basically their companies have a great marketing strategy figured out...jackson needs one too...a better one if possible...

3. If you were going to buy a Jackson bass:
                A. What features (pickups, body woods, etc) would make it the best bang for the buck?
                a great sounding active system for pickups...some people may argue emg's but a lot of the real high end basses use bartolini pickups...as for body woods?...i dunno...
                B. What price point (street selling price - not list price) would you want it to be?
                2 models...1 usa over 1,000 (but still reasonable), 1 import under 1,000
                C. What model would you like to see in a Jackson bass (Concert/Dinky, Rhoads, Kelly, King V, etc)?
                nothing betas the classic concert bass...it's suitable for all occasions...

We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following:

1. What pickup configuration - 1 Hum or 2 Hum?

totally up to you...just happy to see strat heads and 1 3/4" necks back...in any form...i do think tho...that 1 hum makes it easier for people to modigy the p/u config to more of what they want (i know, modification is blasphemy...lol)

2. Which "retro" or classic Charvel graphic or finish would you like to see? I need suggestions for the Star and the San Dimas - different graphics "work" differently for each model.

no comment here...i play a bunch of wild looking guitars already...lol...maybe a nice solid color would appeal to a larger audience?
                3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem?
                there have been three strat heads with brass bridges...use a floyd every now and then...lol....d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

NOEN STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THE NEON AND ELECTRIC COLOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez?

Cost vs quality - Jackson offers more for the money. As for how that translates directly to physical features, I'll say the construction quality and material quality (USA Floyd, etc). I also like how Jackson puts more effort (money) into good wood for the imports, but not the hardware and electronics. This keeps prices low enough that you can upgrade to an OFR and USA-made pickups (Duncan, DiMarzio, EMG, etc) and not have to "throw out" good parts, but you're still not spending half of what a new USA model with the same features costs.

2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products?

High-profile artists. Everything else (including the players) they've stolen from Charvel and Jackson since 1983. BC Rich is the only one out of those companies to come up with their own designs that are not spawned from Jackson designs.

A. What features (pickups, body woods, etc) would make it the best bang for the buck?

Alder/Poplar body, rosewood or maple boards (ebony is wasted on a bass, IMO, unless you're playing strictly Jazz and fretless), the Kahler bass bridge that came on the Concert V Pro and Winger Pro (non-tremolo, allows adjustment of string-spacing - Warmoth carries them), Bartolini P/J or hum-style are great. I'd like to see a model with a P-bass and a guitar-sized humbucker, but that's just me.
                    I'd also prefer bolt-on construction to neckthrough, as it's better for bass unless, again, you're doing mellow tones of fretless Jazz.
                    It also keeps them readily affordable and in direct competition with the companies that are beating C/J to death in bass sales.
                    I'd really like to see the Concert Pro (4-string) and Concert V Pro (5-string) again. There was nothing wrong with those basses.
                    Offer maple boards with ebanol or even black phenolic fins, as well as graphics like were done for the recent Professional guitars (DK-2, RR-3, KE-3, etc).

B. What price point (street selling price - not list price) would you want it to be?

$1000 with hard case for a USA bolt-on with MOP fins on rosewood or ebony fins on maple might seem a bit cheap to JCMI, but that's about what your closest competitors are selling for (ESPee, Ibenhad, etc), and those are imports of lesser quality.
                    $800 with SKB-style case for a Professional Series bolt-on, as that's what your competition's mid-quality bass is selling for, and Jackson still beats them in terms of quality. Apply the same methodology of better-wood-with-lesser-hardware, so the construction quality is top-notch but the customer can put in their favorite bridge and pickups without fear of throwing away good parts.
                    $400 for the low-end models, but make them in Japan instead of India. These don't have to have the expensive options like the USA or Pro models - maple/rosewood necks, dots, etc.

C. What model would you like to see in a Jackson bass (Concert/Dinky, Rhoads, Kelly, King V, etc)?

While a Rhoads and King V bass would look nice, you'd have to seriously up-size the body in proportion to the length of the neck or else it'll nose-dive - even if it's a bolt-on. The Kelly bass sold good for quite some time, but when Marty left he took many Kelly fans with him. Stick to the Concert/Dinky body, or increase the body to full P/J size. Unlike the 80's, many of today's players are a bit "big-boned" and are not wiry little wisps like Rhoads, Lynch, and most of the 80's shredders that needed a puny guitar. Make a beefy bass that's big enough for today's beefier bassists
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following:

2-Hum. Be fair with this, since the "one-hum crowd" got their one-hum wonder last time.

2. Which "retro" or classic Charvel graphic or finish would you like to see? I need suggestions for the Star and the San Dimas - different graphics "work" differently for each model.

San Dimas - I say a solid metalflake of whatever color, if not Hot Wheels Flames. Can't do a Heinekin logo because of the fees. A Nagel? That's a nice 80's graphic.

Star - Beyond the Lightning bolt, what's the Star known for? Chris Holmes' Budweiser logo? Too costly with the licensing fees. Something 80's, for sure, like a solid neon color or Versatel stripes.

3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem?

Floyd. The V-tremmers got their "just like momma used to make" last time, give the "Yeah, well they WOULD have used a Floyd if Kramer didn't have a lockdown on the rights" crowd a turn.
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Also sent as an Email.

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

For starters, I've never played an ESP, Schecter, or BC Rich that I liked. I've never had one that fit my hands right. I've had a few Ibanez's that were cool. I think overall that Jackson uses better woods. That's the most important thing for a guitar to me - everything else is easy to replace.

Ibanez has ventured into more territories - piezo bridges, GK pickups, acoustics, etc. They just have more variety.

I don't know of any features from the other manufacturers that Jackson doesn't have other than a good 7-string production model.

Same criteria as for a good guitar. Nice ash, alder, maple, etc.

For the pickups, please spare us the EMGs. Those are wretched bass pickups. Put in Duncan Basslines or Bartolini's or don't bother with anything fancy - just use Chinese ceramic cheapass pickups that are standard pickup shapes (Jazz, Precision, or Musicman) and leave room in the control cavity for some electronics and a battery compartment.

$800-1000 for a bolt on - $1200-1500 for a neck through

Concert/Dinky or Kelly - V bases are dorky.

either is fine with me

None of the dorky ones like the lightning bolt on the star you did last time. No Twisted Sister graphics. No checkerboards unless it's going to be a Rick Nielson Explorer. Other than that, go for it - I'm flexible.

Either is cool with me.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

<font color="red"> I think the main thing I can see is quality. The other guys are really good, but there is something about the feel, fit and finish of a Jackson </font>
                          <font color="red"> A piezo floyd or piezo TOM would be real nice. How about an import neck thru arch top? </font>
                          <font color="red"> Alder or Mahogany body, a quality bridge, Emgs or Bartolini’s and 4,5,6 string available on that same model. </font>
                          <font color="red"> Assuming that it’s a USA 1000 for a bolt on 1300 for a neck thru. An import should be around 300-600 range </font>
                          <font color="red"> <font color="red"> </font> How about a new totally original body style?</font>

<font color="red"> 1 hum scream vintage Charvel to me, but 2 would be fine as well </font>
                          <font color="red"> I would like to see solid color bursts for the San Dimas (silver to black, purple burst, etc) </font> How about blue HRF on the star?.
                          <font color="red"> Does it have to be one or the other? I think an available option here is key. If the answer is no, The brass is more retro and if that’s the theme, that’s the one to go with. </font>

Thanks for asking! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Jim
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I'm with Newc on all points.

Matt
                            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

<font color="yellow"> 1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez? </font>

I think this question applies to J/C's import lines more than the USAs. J/C's strong points are quality wood, great necks, great appearance.

<font color="yellow"> 2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products? </font>

J/C's comparable weak points are on import hardware. I disagree with Newc on this point because MOST guitarists don't buy a guitar with the intent of upgrading the hardware, nor do many even have the skills or the motivation to even try attempting that kind of stuff.

The JT590 is a subpar quality trem. ESP and Ibanez Floyd copies are superior to it. Ditch the JT590 and replace it with new "licensed" design that is of better quality, particularly the metals. Also, comparable import ESPs and Ibanezes use quality pickups - Duncans, Dimarzios, and even EMGs. Ditch the Duncan Designeds. Same for the plastoid inlays. Use real MOP. Finally, TOM string throughs are all the rage. More imports here, and ALL string-throughs (import or USA) should have locking tuners standard.

<font color="yellow"> 3. If you were going to buy a Jackson bass... </font>

Since I'm not a bass player, I won't even respond. My input is n/a.

<font color="yellow"> We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following:

3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem? </font>

My first suggestion would be to NOT do another Retro Star this time around, and do TWO different strat bodies instead. IMHO, that would be a more successful approach. Then, let's look at the strathead offerings so far:

- All 4 of the models offered so far (25th, Retro Star, Retro Strat, EVHs) have been 1 hum layout. It's time for a multiple-PU arrangement. 2 hums would be fine. My personal preference would be HSS, though.

- 3 of the 4 models so far have been vintage trem. A Floyd is a MUST, IMHO.

- 3 of the 4 models (and 5 of the 6 finishes!) offered so far have been graphics. It's time for something different - a snazzy-ish solid color (candy red metalflake, anyone?) or another transparent.

In fact, here's where doing two different strat bodies would fit in perfect. Offer them like so:

- One a solid color, 2 hums, Floyd, chrome hardware.
                              - The second a transparent, HSS, Floyd, gold hardware.

Or one transparent and one graphic. If a graphic, preferably a flame job. But vintage-style tiger stripes would be killer, too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

And did the J/C guys happen to see and/or pay attention to the several "custom strathead" poll questions and threads? There's some interesting info. on folks' strathead preferences there, and the final "hypothetical" specs decided by all are here (towards the top of the thread):

Custom strathead specs

Finally... Allow custom strathead orders already, will 'ya??!!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                ah crap...just give me FULL SIZED STRAT BODIES, maple boads, dual hums and non-recessed floyds.$850.00 no graphic. $1150.00 for graphics...keep it simple stupid..

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit the nail on the head!
                                My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Working...
                                X