This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Charvel/Jackson wants you!!!

I hads me another idea! Check out the hook, while my DJ revolves it....

One of the things that ESP is offering that Jackson is not is more variety in the 24.75" scale department. They seem to have a lock on the "radical" Les Paul/SG with the Eclipse and Viper. They also offer the EX 400 which is their attempt at a "radical" Explorer. You cannot offord to lose this battle. There needs to be a Kelly equivelant of the KV2T. Mahongany body, mahogany neck thru, 24.75" scale, TOM bridge, etc. I'd personally like to see with with the same inlays and headstock of the KV2T also.

Another thing is that an import version of the above guitars should be made also.

Comment

1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez?
      * Jackson has always had great playing guitars with exceptional playability. Hell my DXMG came out of the box with the lowest action (without fretbuzz) on a guitar that I have ever owned. The others have just copied the Jackson shapes & constuction methods. The use of Ebony fretboards & bound neck & headstock are features I have always liked on Jacksons. Back in my younger years it was one of the things that set Jackson apart from Ibanez & B.C. Rich. Jacksons always seem to use high quality materials.
      * Asking our opinions is also something I think we all appreciate.

2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products?
      * I would have to say for the bolt on models a heel design similar to Ibanez's heel design. I think that could be done & if you still want to use neck plates, have them designed to fit the new heel design & counter sink the plate flush with the heel.
      * Offer simple options without having to go Custom Shop. Fender does this concerning getting maple or rosewood fretboards on some models. This option along with pickup configuration (if a model comes with 2 hums standard, alow the option of going 1 hum or hum/single coil). It would also be great to offer the choice of floyd or String thru. Pickup choice (EMG or Duncan) is another great idea. For the Imports I think just offering the option of fretboard choice would be cool along with hardware color. Maybe all of these options would be unfeasable to offer, but I think if you adopted one or two of the most popular ones it would go a long way for most buyers.

3. I'm not a bass player, but I always thought the Rhoads & V shape looked odd for a bass, but the Kelly looks pretty nice.

4. Retro Charvels?
      * I think the Star is a great idea or bring back the 1986 Model 6 (Khaler equiped model).
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

1. What features make a Jackson guitar (or bass) better than ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez?

Give me a Jackson neck with a reverse headstock and sharfins and that blows away any neck from any other company. And the prices on their lower end/midrange models. Like the DK2 for example. I've seen them brand new for $500 left handed. Sharkfins, neck and headstock binding and cool dark metallic red paint job. Then you look at Ibanez and their RG1570 which is about midrange for them at $670 for a left handed boring black paint job, dot inlays and no binding with crappier pickups then on the jackson. Keep lower prices!!!! Oh and another thing that Jackson pwns everybody else in is left handed models. Theres like a left handed model for every Jackson model, yes Ibanez only has one.

2. What features do ESP, Schecter, BC Rich, and Ibanez guitars (or basses) have that Jackson should consider adding to our products?

I've owned multiple Ibanez' in the past, so I'm only going to speak about them. The Ibanez Edge trem just might be better then the original floyd. It seems thicker and resists wear very well. Also Jackson could take note on the Ibanez all access neck joint. But the one thing that really gives Ibanez the edge is their indorsements. Guys like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Korn, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Andy Timmons, ect. Those are the guys that really draw the croud to a guitar company

Comment

I'm including these comments in my email along with the rest of the info they want, but I'd like your feedback, too.

Would anybody else like to see some big guitars? I'm 6'7", and it's kind of frustrating being stuck with guitars that look and feel like ukes most of the time. People are getting bigger, so make some bigger guitars! :^/ I know there's a DR on the way (if only in limited runs), and somebody mentioned full-sized strats, what about oversized Soloists? Hehe, the King Soloist... I wish they'd reintroduce the King Kelly, too. Sort of an add-on to that, I'd like to see some more substantial necks on the bolt-ons. The Dinky neck is friggin' tiny, and it couldn't be that much trouble to offer an optional larger profile.

Comment

bump

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              bump

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

On imports I would say better build quality, emphasis on higher quality wood, with a Jackson import one can always change to better hardware and make a good guitar even better! I can't say the same for the other brands mentioned. As for USA Jacksons, I would say the seemingly endless options, such as finishes ( no one else can touch Jackson there) Original designs. I would like to see more though, as well as some custom shop only bodystyles put into the select series production. How about a Jackson Neck-thru Star? A Neck-Thru Kelly Star? Death Angel? Death Warrior? I would like to see what I would call an SL1SH, same as current SL1 minus the middle single coil pickup. And please offer maple fretboards on all USA Select Series guitars, especially the SL1, SL2H, and DK1, maybe even on the import DK2 and MG series as well.

As far as the USA series, none of the other companies compare to Jackson's quality. But for imports, I would offer better hardware such as an Original Floyd Rose or Schaller trem on the higher level imports like the SL3, Pro series, and MG series as well as real EMG or Seymour Duncan pickups like ESP does on their LTD Deluxe series. Maple fretboard option again...I can't stress that enough! Bring back the basic white color too!

3. If you were going to buy a Jackson bass:
                A. What features(pickups, body woods, etc) would make it the best bang for the buck?

EMG pickups, alder body, maple neck.

B. What price point (street selling price - not list price) would you want it to be?

$10.00. Just kidding! I would say that $ 1000 for solid colors and $ 1300 for graphics would be a fair price for a neck-thru bass. $ 900 and $ 1200 for bolt on.

C. What model would you like to see in a Jackson bass (Concert/Dinky, Rhoads, Kelly, King V, etc)?

Dinky or full size Strat. Rhoads and King V would be cool too!

We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following.

1. What pickup configuration - 1 Hum or 2 Hum?

1 Hum.

2. Which "retro" or classic Charvel graphic or finish would you like to see? I need suggestions for the Star and the San Dimas - different graphics "work" differently for each model.

For the San Dimas, I say either Navy Submarine or Hot Wheels. And for the Star either Vesatel or Checkerboard.

3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem?

Definitely the Original Floyd Rose!

email sent

Chris
                Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

I love when a company asks for the fans input. Kudos.
                  What I would like to see is more variatey in the string thru or stop tail area to compete with the Ibanez and Schecter pricing. I can sell a Jackson over one of those anyday if i had the options available of a stop tai or string thru on more lower end and mid grade models. The DXMGT is a great addition. Luckily i work at Guitar Center and can sell these lil gems [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  I can also compare (objectively of course [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) the other brands all but ESP price for price.

Jackson/Charvel always offers better woods and materials for the same price range. Better craftsmanship and playability. Over all a better guitar made from better parts. I just would like to see better pickups in some models. Im not crazy about the HZ. im most of them. they sound thin and weak to me. The Duncan Designed sound better but still not as good as the real thing. Schecter does do lower to mid range guitars with real Duncans.

As far as the basses go a lower end kelly bass or a KV bas would be great and also a more traditional styled bass like a dinky body or a Pbass style body of some sort. Ibanez and schecter have both recently released mohagony body basses with duncan designed and real duncans in the schecters. Also Ibanez has active eq's in the basses for more versatility. The Concert series basses were great. like the C4P and the Ash body ones.

For a artist guitar a Jake E Lee Charvel would be awesome. A hum/single/single with the singles slanted at the bass side just like his blue one complete with a Strat headstock and gold Charvel logo. Or maybe a Steve Lynch Pointy head graphic. or a Warren DiMartini crossed swords graphic with a single hum.

As far as woods go. I love the tone of mohagony and aslo alder for a more tradional hot roded strat tone circa 80's metal tone. Basswood can be good but alder is a more consistant quality and more popular tone wood for general purpose.
                  Also on a side note how about reintriducing the Charvel 750XL.. as an import of course. A set mohagonly neck on a mohagony body with a carved maple top and dual hums. and fo course a real floyd rose. and real duncans. Or reintroduce the USA made Jackson pickups. I still love those things as much as my duncans.

Gil
                  And yes i sent the email.
                  :P

Comment

USA Construction, better Woods, better workmanship (save possibly ESP Customs and USA Riches), and dey got da Mojo dat da uthas don´t [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Not 100% sure about the other having it or not, But I´d like to see:
                    (minimal upcharge?) hardware color changes
                    Finishes like Pavo Purple available across the entire USA Select line
                    a choice of Duncans or EMGs, maybe with an upcharge for the EMGs or a "downcharge" for the Duncans...
                    Matching Headstocks for solid colors as an option

BTW, IIRC the soloist turn´s 25 next year, or?? Maybe another run of shannons? Or even better, let Mike and Tim just do whatever they can agree on, within the confines of a soloist with 24 frets and a floyd [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                    We are also looking at doing two more "Retro" Charvel models for 2005 (like the Retro San Dimas Bullseye and the Retro Lightning Star). We'll be doing one Star guitar and one San Dimas guitar. I'd like some suggestions on the following:

1. What pickup configuration - 1 Hum or 2 Hum?
                    2 Hum, 1 Hum we had in 2k4 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

2. Which "retro" or classic Charvel graphic or finish would you like to see? I need suggestions for the Star and the San Dimas - different graphics "work" differently for each model.
                    I´d like to see the Star in a Rising Sun Graphic and the SD in a "Winer Military" (Not Camo, more of a German Warbird style.)

3. Which bridge would you like to see on the Retro guitars - a Floyd or the brass NOS Charvel trem?

Hmm, uuuh, that´s a toughie..... But since Retro, NOS Brass [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A Seven sring would be nice again, at least an Import one, Ideally a USA Soloist with an "Original Floyd 7"

But most importantly: GET THEM IN THE GODDAMN STORES!!! I know Europe sucks, so I won´t even go into how annoying it is to see "official Jackson dealers" with merely a JS-1, a JS-20, a DKMG and a NOS DR-7T. Especially when right next to them you´ve got 2 dozen each of Ibanez and LTD, broadly fanned through the price and style range..... From what I hear, this is still the typical "is" situation at GCs and most other outlets, and we all know how hard it is to sell guitars that you can´t see, much less try out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

More Endorsees. Preferably high profile, and preferably with playing skills. When people like Alexi Laiho, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, Scott Ian and others start endorsing other companies (notably ESP and IBanez), even though they were Die-Hard Jackson players for years if not decades (or even endorsees), that switch hurts the image real bad, because the logic in the kid´s minds is "Cool, these must be even better".

Comment

Thought of another suggestion in answer to Q.#2:

Mahogany bodied guitars are also very popular now, and done frequently by ESP, Ibanez, etc. Jackson has a couple (KV2T, SL2H-MAH, and SLATQH), but the focus seems a little too narrow.

It'd be cool if these were expanded to a "limited edition mahogany" series, like:

SL1-MAH
                      RR1-MAH
                      KE2-MAH

Maybe add a couple of non-standard bonus features to set them apart from the regular production guitars. Like bound bodies, 3 piece necks, gold hardware and/or rear-loading for the RR. With a bit more of a premium price, in the ballpark of the KV2T's. That'd be cool! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I would like to see a production Soloist with three piece neck, binding over the frets, slightly larger neck carve, with choice between non-rcessed Floyd or brass vintage style trem and ebony or rosewood fretboard.

Comment

I've seen it posted several times, but I'll ask just as a reminder... Are you guys sending these to the e-mail address that was listed in the first post by Kev? Maybe this thread should be locked so there's no question about it.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing what everyone's thoughts are, but if they're not getting to the right place (the e-mail address) then it's not doing any good.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

I agree.
                            I did send mine when I posted.
                            Hope they read my e-mail instead of blocking my address.
                            [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep. Sent mine, too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, I like Jim Shine's idea for a retro-type Soloist, too. I believe I had suggested something similar before a prior NAMM show. Great minds think alike. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup, I emailed the addy. I just shared my additional comments with the rest of you.

Comment

Working...
                                X