Hit a problem and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit a problem and need some advice

I decided I wanted a new guitar that didn't scream 'Metal' too much and I was all set on a Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Style 1 in Snow White. The problem is that I went to try one today and although it sounds great, after two neck-thru guitars and four PRS SE Custom 24 guitars, the upper fret access felt awful due to the thick neck joint. Back to the drawing board!!!

I want a guitar that's naturally brighter than my set-neck PRS guitars so I was thinking a bolt-on. I'd also prefer the body wood to be Alder with a maple neck, like the So Cal but mahogany might be OK. I don't know much about other woods but the bottom line is that it should be a relatively bright guitar, like the So Cal. I'm not too bothered if it's 22 or 24 frets but it needs to have a Floyd Rose 1000, not a Special. I'm also looking for an HH configuration or maybe HSH at a push.

The two alternatives that immediately leap to mind would be the Charvel Pro Mod DK24 HH FR or the Jackson Pro Dinky, as they're essentially the same guitar. I like the Charvel DK24 but the quilted amber top and gold hardware isn't exactly subtle. I also like the Jackson Pro Dinky but while I like the So Cal in white due to the black pickguard, I'm less keen on the Jackson in all white and in an ideal world, I'd like to avoid a pointy headstock.

Are there any other options I should try?

The Jackson Pro Soloist should be comparable in terms of build quality but I'm wary of a neck-thru design as when I last had a neck-thru, it was a Japanese SL3 Soloist and I found it a very hard guitar to get pickups for due to the dominance of maple running throughout the guitar. It's probably the most expensive guitar I've ever owned and I tried various pickups but nothing seemed as 'alive' as an alder guitar like a Pro Dinky. This was of course the days when the maple from the neck went right through the entire body and the body was essentially just wings glued onto the neck, perhaps they're different now.

Any suggestions?

Man that is a tough order to fill in what IIRC your budget is. It looks like a pointy headstock is the only option for HH in your budget. I found these
    Products - SN Series Guitars - The ESP Guitar Company (espguitars.com)
    Limited Edition HM Strat® | Electric Guitars (fender.com)
    but they are HSS and the HM Strat has a FR Special not a 1000.The LTD has models with HH but no FR unless you bump up to the E-II series
    Products - SN Series Guitars - The ESP Guitar Company (espguitars.com)
    This Friedman looks nice but I think they are like $3000 USD
    Friedman Amplification - NoHo 24 Guitars It's 24.74" scale so may or may not have the brightness you want.

It may be like settling but there is the option of putting a single coil sized humbucker in the neck position of a HSS guitar.

Comment

Unless you want a used Japanese market guitar.

Grover Jackson GJ2 Shredder FR Electric Guitar Gloss Jet Black (USED) x0236 | Manchester Music Mill | Reverb

Grover Jackson GJ2 Inspiration Series - Shredder Blue | 1646 Guitars | Reverb

That's if they'll ship to you.

Comment

Look for something with a sculpted heal I guess. I have a white Charvel 275 that was routed to be HH, but these guitars are basswood. A Duncan Mayhem set fixed that lack of brightness.

Comment

You're all right that this is a tough shopping list to fill so I am resigned to the fact that compromises will have to be made, the easiest one being the pointy headstock. I'd rather avoid it but at the end of the day, it's only the shape so it affects nothing substantial. These are the models I definitely want to try:

Jackson Pro Dinky (Pointy headstock and poor colour choice but otherwise fine)
          Charvel Pro Mod DK24 HH FR (Not exactly subtle but otherwise fine)
          Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (Need to change to passive pups)

I've also looked at three Ibanez models that interest me:

JIVA10
          RG550
          RG370

The trouble with these is that I'm used to a Floyd Rose 1000 and these use, in order, an Edge-Zero II, Edge and Edge-Zero II w/ZPS3Fe. Unfortunately I have no idea at all if any of these are as good and reliable as a Floyd 1000.

Comment

As far as Ibanez is concerned - make sure you know what you are looking at. Today's 550 is not the same as yesterday's 550.

And I don't mean that they made changes to the design or anything like that.
            I mean that in the 80s, a 550 was a fairly high end model.
            But they changed the numbering system to accommodate lower and lower models models. A 550 today is a lower model. The 550 yesterday would be numbered something like 1550 today.

Comment

Yes, the Ibanez trems worry me because it's a step into the unknown. I know that with a Floyd 1000 I'm getting a sturdy and reliable item. I'm still interested in the JIVA10 as it's just lovely but I really need to find out more about that Edge-Zero II bridge as I'm certainly not paying that much money for a guitar if the bridge isn't as good as a Floyd 1000! If I were to spend that much money, a LTD H1001 FR might be a safer bet. Other than that, I still have the Jackson, Charvel or Schecter.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I really want something that is either a Jackson or a Charvel. If I ended up going with the Schecter or ESP with their mahogany body and set-neck, I might as well have stayed with my PRS. The more I think about this, the more I know I want something that is brighter and has more 'snap' than that. Alder is my first choice but I'd also be happy enough with mahogany if it's a bolt-on design and the body is small enough to keep things on the bright side. I already know I like the Jackson Pro Dinky so even with the pointy headstock, I know it's a guitar I'm prepared to buy. Despite it being mahogany, I think I slightly prefer the Charvel DK24 so I suppose the key question is about the necks.

Is the neck on the DK24 exactly the same as the Pro Dinky?

If not, what is the thickness of each neck at the 1st and 12th fret?

Are they both the same shape neck and what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartibartfarst42 View Post

That's a very good question. Since in my limited experience and from what I've read on here the Pro-mod necks don't feel like a Jackson neck. I'd be curious to now if the DK24 is the same.

Comment

I've emailed both Jackson and Charvel about this so if I get a reply, I'll post it here.

Comment

Measurements of my guitars, all bolt on, all 24 fret, but only one with floyd:

Jackson DK2MHT, 2013 made in Mexico, maple board, hardtail
                      Width at nut = 1.705 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.781 inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.039 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.761 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.812
                      neck shape is definitely D shape

Charvel DK24 Super Stock Limited Ed, 2017, Mexico, Floyd, ebony board
                      Width at nut = 1.6905 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.7805 inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.039 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.788 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.845 inch
                      Shape is flattened C or slightly D

Charvel Justin Aufdemkampe 2018 Mexico, hardtail, maple board
                      Width at nut = 1.7070 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.795 inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.051 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.767 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.818 inch

Charvel DK24 HSS 2PT, 2018 Mexico, two point trem, maple board
                      Width at nut = 1.6885 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.7960 inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.046 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.751 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.813 inch
                      Shape is a flatter D than the above (more like the Jackson)

Charvel DK24 HH HT Walnut top, 2020 Mexico, hardtail, maple board
                      Width at nut = 1.6820 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.790 inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.058 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.758 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.824 inch
                      Shape is a flatter D (more like the Jackson)

Charvel Pro Mod Style 1 HH HT, 2018 Mexico, hardtail, maple board
                      Width at nut = 1.687 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.791inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.049 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.789 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.846 inch

PRS SE Std 24, 2015, Indonesia, rosewood board
                      With at nut = 1.703 inch
                      Width at 3rd fret = 1.800 inch
                      Width at 12th fret = 2.060 inch
                      Thickness at 3rd fret = 0.806 inch
                      Thickness at 12th fret = 0.854 inch
                      Shape is a full C

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks!

So, the neck on the DK24 does appear to be slightly chunkier than the Jackson overall but there really isn't very much in it. I know I like the Jackson neck (love it actually) but I should easily be able to adapt to the Charvel neck, especially as it's that little bit closer to the PRS neck I've been using for the last 10 years.

Comment

That's really helpful, thanks!

So, the neck on the DK24 does appear to be slightly chunkier than the Jackson overall but there really isn't very much in it. I know I like the Jackson neck (love it actually) but I should easily be able to adapt to the Charvel neck, especially as it's that little bit closer to the PRS neck I've been using for the last 10 years.
                          I would not say that the Dinky neck is in any way a "chunkier" neck profile.

Looking at specs, the Dinky has the thinnest neck of the Dinky, Soloist, Kelly, and Speed neck carves offered by Jackson. They all share the same nut width too. Now there is hand sanding and shaping done on each guitar so the spec will vary from instrument to instrument, but barring outliers the Dinky neck should be the least "chunky" of the Jackson necks.

Comment

Working...
                          X