Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swap MIM Checks: From Satch (top/flush) to Dimas (recessed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap MIM Checks: From Satch (top/flush) to Dimas (recessed)

I have a San Dimas Sass with recessed FR and my buddy has the Satchel with Top/flush mount FR. Neither of us think the it will make an even neck swap, because the heels are probably shaped different to account for Flush mount vs. Recessed. Anyone have experience with this?

Thx.

Originally posted by JYD View Post
    I have a San Dimas Sass with recessed FR and my buddy has the Satchel with Top/flush mount FR. Neither of us think the it will make an even neck swap, because the heels are probably shaped different to account for Flush mount vs. Recessed. Anyone have experience with this?

Thx.
    More than likely it's the body route. Either way you or him would be sitting high or low on the trems.

They have tape measures
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

More than likely it's the body route. Either way you or him would be sitting high or low on the trems.

They have tape measures
      Ah, we didn't think about the body route. Yeah, we're going to take it to my tech to see what he can do, but if it's shimming and shaving or what not, we'll likely not do the swap.

Comment

Or everything could be the same? Save some money break out a tape measurer. Personally I wouldn't think many or anyone here has done that swap
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

The top-mount probably has the neck pocket angled back a little bit, so you'll most likely have to put a shim somewhere in the pocket (or move/remove it if one is in there already) when swapping necks.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

why swap?

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
              why swap?
              Probably because one is maple and the others ebony. Same headstock

Comment

Thx.
                And as me and TJ pointed out if its the body and the necks are the same, simple trade necks and screw for said necks!

Comment

Ok maybe this is similar enough to help. My partscaster started life as a MIM strat. I added a recessed Floyd to it. I had a Charvel Pro-mod neck on it( widened the neck pocket for the wider heel). Of course the neck came off Ebay. Bought the neck in Feb of 2020 so a good chance it came from one with a recessed trem as it was like new. Now I have a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX neck on it. Those guitars are a top mount Floyd. They swapped right out with no issues. I don't even think I had to readjust the action. If I did it was only like 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the studs.

Full disclosure though I don't think it matters I had a couple pieces of business card in the pocket as a shim to put a little angle on the neck to get the trem not as deep in the recess. I used them again with the SDX neck so the only change was the necks.

Edited to add. I did have to dowel and re-drill the mounting holes as the SDX ones didn't line up. The SDX is made in India or Indonesia. I would hope this wouldn't be an issue swapping between two Charvels.
                  Last edited by Dak; 10-26-2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:
                    • All three necks have nearly identical dimensions: Satchel, San Dimas, & So-cal.
                      • Our luthier measured all three.
                    • The Satchel/Top Mount/Flush Floyd setup has an angled neck pocket.
                      • All three necks work in the respective guitars.

Comment

UPDATE:
                      • All three necks have nearly identical dimensions: Satchel, San Dimas, & So-cal.
                        • Our luthier measured all three.
                      • The Satchel/Top Mount/Flush Floyd setup has an angled neck pocket.
                        • All three necks work in the respective guitars.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X