Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Browsing in old shops you can find interesting things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post
    I wouldn't embarrass myself writing here how many guitars I have but...you know... it's a great axe made to be played. So...JB2? Demon? Hot stacks? Hot stack plus? YJM?
    If it was my guitar, I think I would play around with pickup height first. Or how about install a four conductor Seth Lover with the cover removed, and leave the single coil's be, adjusting pickup height to taste?

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post

Practice your '84/'85 Lynch riffs.
      This too!!!

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

what kind of sound are you looking for from the mid/neck single coils? all my suggestions are "true" single coils for max strat sound, but from your posts it sounds like that's not what you're looking for.
        I usually play with a lot of gain therefore "true" single coils are not the first choice, I like the quarter pound but unfortunately they are too noisy. I play some Yngwie and I like very much the HS-3, but not in this application as it would be overhelmed by the humbucker...so ideally I would like an high power stacked humbucker. Also due to the shape of the rouitng I would avoid SCs without the triangle on the button like for instance the Lace sensors, that IMO are excellent SCs. So...not much choice I am afraid.

Originally posted by workerunit View Post
        If it was my guitar, I think I would play around with pickup height first. Or how about install a four conductor Seth Lover with the cover removed, and leave the single coil's be, adjusting pickup height to taste?
        Already done it..raised the classic stacks and lowered the JB...not working.SD recommended the custom stacks, perhaps today I will try the rough cast Alnico 2 magnet in the JB.

Regarding the Seth Lover model, I look for something with more kick as I need to play anything from classic rock to metal. Also in trembucker form...

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post

Practice your '84/'85 Lynch riffs.
        Sure, but at the moment the guitar is tuned in standard pitch and I am practicing Metallica riffs...in particular in the master of puppets' spider riff all notes are meddled.
        Last edited by Cuthbert; 11-03-2021, 07:44 AM.
        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
        '92 Fender Strat scallop
        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by Cuthbert View Post

I usually play with a lot of gain therefore "true" single coils are not the first choice, I like the quarter pound but unfortunately they are too noisy. I play some Yngwie and I like very much the HS-3, but not in this application as it would be overhelmed by the humbucker...so ideally I would like an high power stacked humbucker. Also due to the shape of the rouitng I would avoid SCs without the triangle on the button like for instance the Lace sensors, that IMO are excellent SCs. So...not much choice I am afraid.

Already done it..raised the classic stacks and lowered the JB...not working.SD recommended the custom stacks, perhaps today I will try the rough cast Alnico 2 magnet in the JB.

Regarding the Seth Lover model, I look for something with more kick as I need to play anything from classic rock to metal. Also in trembucker form...
          I like the duncan ssl-6 ("custom strat, flat pole pieces"), so if the custom stack is like that it may be the ticket. the ssl-6 isn't as loud as a humbucker but it's a good bit louder than "normal" single coils and also a lot beefier. high end is rolled off quite a bit. I've never tried the QP but I've read the ssl-6 is not quite as loud/beefy as that one, so I'm not sure if you'll find it loud enough.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post

I like the duncan ssl-6 ("custom strat, flat pole pieces"), so if the custom stack is like that it may be the ticket. the ssl-6 isn't as loud as a humbucker but it's a good bit louder than "normal" single coils and also a lot beefier. high end is rolled off quite a bit. I've never tried the QP but I've read the ssl-6 is not quite as loud/beefy as that one, so I'm not sure if you'll find it loud enough.
            My main target is to have three usable sounds (that means, more or less the same output) for the three pickups, if one is predominant I will finish using that one because I would be needing to reset the amp for the other two.

However...the surgery on the JB has been completed, I put the rough cast Alnico 2 magnet out of phase however...big change! The sound has opened up in an unbelievable way, now the JB2 sounds like the brighter brother of a Custom Custom....I am very satisfied. The output is a tad lower but still the STK1s are not powerful enough.
            '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
            '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
            '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
            '92 Fender Strat scallop
            '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
            '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

That is like finding buried treasure. Amazing.

Comment

Working...
              X